Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #1

Slippery Steering Wheel/PSS9 Suspension

The Steering wheel on my 2000 Boxster is very slick, so much so it could almost be considered unsafe. I guess it is from years of oils, armor-all or such building up. My son and I just installed a Grant steering wheel for his 1982 Honda "wagovan" and I was taken by how good the grip was on the wheel. Is there a way to clean all the accumulated stuff off of the wheel to allow for better grip?

BTW, Patrick and I painted the car solid blue, then he and his friends started adding their touches. I take no credit for the silver spray-painted rims or the racing stripes.....

On a totally unrelated topic I got my car back yesterday with the Bilstein PSS9 suspension..... oh my, where have you been all these years (actually I have had the car less than a year). I am not sure if the stock suspension was worn out on my car, or if the stock suspension is just too soft for my liking, but the PSS9 is sweet.

One the things I did not like about the stock suspension was that on hard cornering, I got what felt like a lot of body roll. The new suspension is setup on the softest setting and it seems like body roll is a thing of the past. The ride is a little firmer, but not much, feels very good.

On the recommendation of the shop that did the install (paid 1800.00 for coilovers, 550.00 installation/allingment), I have ordered 5mm spacers to go on all four wheels to help prevent any future clearance issues with my 18" wheels, fun stuff....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #2

edevlinp - I'd try using Saddle Soap on it... It's an old cowboy/horse owner's leather soap and conditioner.. . It's the same stuff I use on my seats. I keep meaning to clean the steering wheel, but I always forget.. Either way, it seems to get the crap off of the seats pretty good, as well as making the leather feel softer and more supple.

You should be able to pick that up at a dept. store or maybe a leather clothing place...

Wonko The Sane is offline   Reply With Quote