Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #1

Zanzibar Red = $AUD10,000

So,, I'm looking at an ad on Carsales.com.au for an 01 Boxster in 'Zanzibar Red'.
The seller is saying that this colour originally cost $10,000 (in Aust which is about... $US25.. or maybe more like $US7,000 )..

Is this for real? The price they're selling at doesn't seem to include this monster option.. pretty standard from what i've been looking at..

I know there are a couple of special colours (zenith blue??) but do these really cost this much extra? I imagine that this colour ("A mix of Red and Bronze") would just turn out to be a hassle if you ever needed to paint match anything..

(Btw.. I don't have a boxster yet.. hence reading classifieds in the middle of the night.. I think it will be a few more months yet before i can save a reasonable amount)..

dash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
boggtown

Since you live in Australia you could try and import a car and hope the price you paid is cheap enough to keep you ahead after shipping costs and fees since everything looks expensive over there.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #3

If Zanzibar red was a "special" non-metallic color, and I believe it was, then it was an expensive option although not as expensive as he is representing.

Special colors on a new Aussie-spec Boxster currently cost A$6,000 and I assume that Porsche colors cost about the same now as they did in 2001.

This assumption is based on similarities in pricing between the 986->987 pricing here in the U.S. and a check of the AUD to EUR/DEM currency rates using a 1/1/01 and 1/1/06 spot. The currencies traded at the same levels then as they do now.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 01-06-2007 at 08:55 AM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:16 AM   #4

In the US, I believe Zanzibar Red was one of the ultra-optional colors. There were std colors, red, white, black, maybe yellow, at no extra cost. Then optional colors, usually a bunch of dark metallics at roughly $800 extra. And then list of ultra-optional (my term) colors at about $3,000US extra. Beyond that you get into the "paint to match", which is anything you can pay for.
While $10k(Aus) would be considerably in excess of $3,000US + exchange rate, it could be correct based on Porsche prices in Australia.

Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote