Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #1

Track days and Christmas lists

Need your advice!

I'm excited to join up with the local PCA here, and get out to the track. But I have never participated in any of these kinds of events.

I'm hoping to add a few items to the ol' Christmas list, and was curious as to any/all items you all would recommend me having. Don’t want to show up at the formal dinner wearing blue jeans, if you catch me....

Thanks in advance!

- C5150

Old 12-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5150
Don’t want to show up at the formal dinner wearing blue jeans, if you catch me....
From the local PCA events(not dinners) I have been to alot of people are wearing jeans/polo/collared shirt,nothing too fancy.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #3

Hey Blink - appreciate your experience! I'm hoping to learn more about what I should have for the car/myself in preperation for the track. Helmet, bra for the car.... Don't have a clue as to all the goodies one should have, if any...

- C5150
Old 12-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5150
Hey Blink - appreciate your experience! I'm hoping to learn more about what I should have for the car/myself in preperation for the track. Helmet, bra for the car.... Don't have a clue as to all the goodies one should have, if any...

- C5150
You could tape up your fenders where rocks would shot up and scratch them,I've seen it done,looks funny but does the job.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:02 PM   #5

What do you tape it up with? Actual tape?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:32 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
blue painters tape....so it doesnt leave residue on the car, and its easy to put on/off
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:48 PM   #7

Hi,

Actually, people will judge you by your ETs and performance, not your ensemble. Hard Core guys don't protect their cars at all, they're considered expendibles.

Don't worry what others think, concentrate on your skills and driving. You'll make your share of mistakes if you're new, that's natural, and you're not gonna dazzle them with kit. Don't worry about that, or even try. Everyone around you was new once too.

You're not gonna impress any of them in one afternoon, so don't try. Do your best, ask questions of the top guys (who will be happy to share), and try to apply what they tell you. In the end, you'll be OK! Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 12-21-2006 at 10:59 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:48 PM   #8

DJ -

So tape up the lights - fenders - just what do most people tape up? Is this pretty much common place, or do most just show up and go?

Anything else folks do/bring other then the helmet (mandatory in some cases, right)?

Thanks -
Old 12-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #9

Thanks Jim,

I appreciate the info. I'm excited to get out and learn to become more proficient at performance driving. Only so much you can do on public roads while keeping it safe - and legal!

And not too concerned about impressing others - just didn't want to show up to any event unprepared, know what I mean...
Old 12-21-2006, 10:55 PM   #10

Here's a short list of things not related to the car, but things you will need.

Since you are in the Seattle area, first thing to bring with you to events is some rain gear. The last PCA autocross event was absolutely crazy. It was raining so hard that day. If you are going to come to the autocross events, you will need a good cooler. There is nothing really at the events. Occasionally an outside vendor with bring in some BBQs and cook. You will also want to invest in a tarp to put your things on. It works great on both dry and wet days. Also invest is a bottle of hand sanitizer. No sinks at the events. A large size umbrella works great for both the rainy days and the sunny days.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #11

David - are you in the Seattle area? If so, they hold these in Bremerton mostly, right?

So is it kind of like tailgating then - with camping chairs and coolers? And the tarp is to keep things from getting dirty?

Appreciate it!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:11 PM   #12

Not Seattle exactly, but over on the eastside.

Bremerton is the place. Camping chairs and coolers are a must. I just started participating in the autocross events for the first time in June. I am addicted now and can't stop adding things to my car.

They haven't released the 2007 schedule yet, but last year they started up in February. I didn't due to hot my first time. Missed a few gates, hit a few cones, but I still had fun.

You just missed a drive we did last Saturday. There was a group of us that went over to Bremerton and did some dyno runs. Tons on 911s, but the Boxster group is growing. This time there were 3 of us. You should join us on our next drive. No date set yet, but either Josh or I will post something to let people know.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

1986 Carrera (sold)
Old 12-21-2006, 11:25 PM   #13

That would be awesome - would love to join. I just saw your dyno vid you posted - would have been fun to attend.

Are you pretty active with the PCA group here? I think I saw they did a run to Cannon Beach not too long ago. Curious to learn what the local group events here are like...
Old 12-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #14

The only PCA events that I go to are the autocross events. I plan on going to some of the track days as well next year.

All the non-PCA events that I go to have been with 6speed people. A lot of 996 Turbos, GT3, GT2, etc. Tons of fun, even if I do have the slowest car. Hard to keep up with the GT2 that just put down 530HP at the wheels, or the turbo that puts down 612 at the wheels.

2001 Boxster S (sold)

1986 Carrera (sold)
Old 12-21-2006, 11:42 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
tape up the lights either completely to protect them, ot put a few X's so that if something hits them they dont go all over the track, and then you can do the fenders so the rocks dont mess up your paint, but i dont use any of that. you can get the same damage driving back home fron work, go trough gravel of something flying and hitting your lights...so yea
but it doesnt hurt
enjoy
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:51 PM   #16

Not many people tape up for the autocross at Bremerton. I saw it more at the track event that I went and watched. At the autocross, you just have to worry about cone rash. But it comes right off.

Here's pic of my friends car with tape. He only taped up because he had his bumper and fenders re-painted.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)

1986 Carrera (sold)
Old 12-22-2006, 03:32 AM   #17

Whatever local chapter is organizing the Driver's Ed event must have info on rules and requirements on its website, or at least a contact person to ask with any questions. On that site you will find the schedule of events, registration info, where to do the tech inspection, info on the tracks, and probably a lot of other advice.

The most important thing is to relax and enjoy the event. You'll see that everyone there will be friendly and eager to help. You'll also see that there will be many new people just like yourself. Finally, you'll be assigned an instructor for the day who will be riding with you on your runs and giving you plenty of advice on and off the track. So I think you'll be just fine. Just remember, the point is to have fun while enjoying and learning about your car.

Z.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:31 AM   #18

While we are on the topic, I have never taken the boxster to a track day or autox yet, so I feel like I am starting from scratch. I autoxed my old Miata quite a bit over the last 5 years and the Miata guys always had little tips and tricks, anyone here have anything like that for all of our enjoyment. Also I really want to go to a track, but have heard some places require a full roll bar.....does anyone have any experience with this.....http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r3010.php

Last edited by IowaS; 12-22-2006 at 04:33 AM.
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:09 AM   #19

The biggest three items in my opinion are the helmet, tire pressure gauge (nice one like a Longacre) and sunscreen. Of course you'll want to look over the rules to make sure you are dressed properly and the helmet meets the requirements. A few other things I bring:

1) Cooler with lunch and drinks. It is usually hot out and you spend a lot of time standing so it is important to stay hydrated.
2) Umbrella - There isn't always shade if you happen to not have to work all the heats.
3) Folding chairs
4) Bag to put all my stuff in as you will be required to remove everything that could be thrown around.
5) Towel - Not sure why I bring this but it has come in handy to clean off the doors prior to putting the numbers on.
6) Driving gloves - I prefer to drive with gloves.
7) Garbage bag - If it rains I want to be able to protect my stuff.

I don't tape up my car because I get more rock chips from driving on the road than I'll ever get from driving at an autocross. I've only seen a couple cars taped up this past season.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:56 AM   #20

This is all great advice - really appreciate it. Any advice on helmets? Brand preference, where to get it, etc...?