Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 08:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5150
This is all great advice - really appreciate it. Any advice on helmets? Brand preference, where to get it, etc...?
There is a thread going around specifically for helmets (within the last week). Try doing a search and you'll find all the information you need on helmets... and then some...

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:30 AM   #22

Here's the thread :

helmets

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:07 AM   #23

Right on - thanks. Don't know how I missed that....
Old 12-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #24

To each his own but I think taping a car prior to an autocross is kind of silly. Unless that autocross is run on gravel, at speeds over 100mph and wheel to wheel with other cars.

Track days and autocrosses are somewhat different animals.

I would expect very little mechanical stress from an autocross so it mostly comes down to having access to or bringing the things that make the driver comfortable.

Food. Clothing. Shelter.

The clothing part is essential. You slide around in the car something awful when it's just butt cheek on leather.

The same basic human needs would apply to a track day.

Only with greater speeds mechanical factors come into play as does the need for more prep time for car and driver.

If you've got a car you trust to be reliable at speed all you really need to bring is a few spare tires/wheels in case you flat spot a tire or bonk a curb and bend a wheel.

And something to clean your windows with. And a torque wrench to tighten the lugnuts between sessions. Maybe some oil. An air pressure guage. Some air.

That's the minimalist approach. And the one I've always favored.

Of course, I know guys that bring along crate engines and multiple transmissions, just in case.

I've autocrossed, done track days, raced multihour enduros. And the one thing they all have in common is that if the car is properly prepared, all that's really needed to have fun is a good car, a good driver and a good attitude.

Search around the interweb and you'll find a checklist of things to prepare for and bring on a trackday.

I mentioned the pants part, but there are guys more organized than me that have layed it all out so you can download a more comprehensive list.

jh

huzzah ! is offline   Reply With Quote