Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2024, 06:57 PM   #41
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
If Kroil fails, consider a magnetic induction nut/bolt heater. I don't know what kind of dark magic this thing employs, but it works. Recently I pulled all the bolts out of a 1980s Fiero exhaust system. Soaking in penetrant did nothing. Less than a minute with this thing had them glowing orange and they all came out with the threads intact.

Old 09-22-2024, 10:42 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal View Post
Hey, thanks, JFP, I'll do that. It would probably be wise to replace the IMS bearing (and clutch plate) before I stick it in. Do you have a recommendation as to which IMS to get?
I am partial to the IMS Solution because it is a once and done deal, never needing to be replaced again. I've installed a lot of them, never had any issues over a lot of miles.............
Old 09-23-2024, 01:40 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I am partial to the IMS Solution because it is a once and done deal, never needing to be replaced again. I've installed a lot of them, never had any issues over a lot of miles.............
Wish you were here, because the IMS Solution's installation instructions made my hair stand on end. For example, by drilling and sawing, "cut a notch in the crank case for the pressurized oil line that feeds the IMS Solution." Yikes!
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 09-23-2024 at 01:47 PM.
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 02:24 PM   #44

Quote:
Wish you were here, because the IMS Solution's installation instructions made my hair stand on end. For example, by drilling and sawing, "cut a notch in the crank case for the pressurized oil line that feeds the IMS Solution." Yikes!
It really isn't all that bad; you need to set the Solution flange loosely in place, mark the line fitting location with a marker on the bellhousing flange, then using a couple of increasing drill sizes, drill out where the fitting will sit, then use a metal saw to saw into the final hole you drilled out. A little bit of filing to break all the sharp edges from the drill and cutting and presto, a perfect slot for the flange's fittling to drop into, the slot being a little large is fine. Only takes a few min. to do.
Old 09-25-2024, 04:48 PM   #45

Quote:
It really isn't all that bad; you need to set the Solution flange loosely in place, mark the line fitting location with a marker on the bellhousing flange, then using a couple of increasing drill sizes, drill out where the fitting will sit, then use a metal saw to saw into the final hole you drilled out. A little bit of filing to break all the sharp edges from the drill and cutting and presto, a perfect slot for the flange's fittling to drop into, the slot being a little large is fine. Only takes a few min. to do.
JFP, I ran across this alternative by European Parts Solution that EPS says "will last the lifetime of the engine":

https://www.europeanpartssolution.com/ims-bearing-upgrade-kit

Also available at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Intermediate-Permanent-Retrofit-Pressurized/dp/B00H8XH9ZQ

Like LN's IMS Solution, it's supposedly a permanent fix. According to EPS: "The bearing is completely submerged in oil thus not requiring the Pressurized Oil Feed Mod." A slotted shaft in the oil pump provides constant oil feed to the bearing.

At $679 it costs significantly less than the IMS Solution.

What's your take?
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 09-25-2024 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2024, 08:44 PM   #46

I believe that EPS is a Miami based company and have a sister company that sells M97 rebuilt engines, and also offer their service to rebuilt your engine.

One time on a business trip, I had a morning to kill so I stopped by their shop, and saw the way they they were assembling (several) M97 engines on various stages of completion, and left with a very disappointed impression, as the building across the street (literally) was under construction, creating a lot of dust and guess what, the engine shop was assembling M97 engines on top of open tables on the patio (outside..), remember running a finger on a crank journal feeling the dirt on the oily surface.. I believe that the same people also designed a tool to remove the non-serviceable IMS bearing on the 987 engines (by drilling the case with a circular saw) without disassembling the engine..

I am not biased, but had the opportunity to attend the Flat6Innovations M97 engine assembly class and the first thing you notice is their cleanliness and organization that they implemented on their process, yes, it was that impressive.

Last edited by Gilles; 09-25-2024 at 08:47 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 10:32 PM   #47

You know I love tools, but coughing up $250+ for an IMS bearing extraction and replacement tool makes me wince. As much as those bearings cost, you'd think it would include the extractor. There oughta be a law!
5-speed manual
Old 09-26-2024, 05:13 AM   #48

Quote:
You know I love tools, but coughing up $250+ for an IMS bearing extraction and replacement tool makes me wince. As much as those bearings cost, you'd think it would include the extractor. There oughta be a law!
LN Engineering does have a rental program for the tools.
Old 09-26-2024, 05:17 AM   #49

Quote:
JFP, I ran across this alternative by European Parts Solution that EPS says "will last the lifetime of the engine":

https://www.europeanpartssolution.com/ims-bearing-upgrade-kit

Also available at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Intermediate-Permanent-Retrofit-Pressurized/dp/B00H8XH9ZQ

Like LN's IMS Solution, it's supposedly a permanent fix. According to EPS: "The bearing is completely submerged in oil thus not requiring the Pressurized Oil Feed Mod." A slotted shaft in the oil pump provides constant oil feed to the bearing.

At $679 it costs significantly less than the IMS Solution.

What's your take?
I have never been a fan of IMS roller bearings. Contrary to what they advertise, they are not stronger than the ball bearing design, and by far one of the biggest problems in bearing failures is heat buildup, and roller bearings get much hotter than ball bearings. I also cringe at how they want to get oil to the bearings............
Old 09-26-2024, 10:32 AM   #50

Garage
Quote:
I followed Ben Burners example and built my own...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ5WwbgQejs&list=PLiya6G1pHhIYyzhlVzS_LwoIovrlv6_lv&index=18
and my experience is here
https://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/81929-my-ims-bearing-replacement-thread.html
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)

Last edited by elgyqc; 09-26-2024 at 10:38 AM.
elgyqc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 09:59 PM   #51

Grant, I admire the way you improvise things. Respect.
5-speed manual
Old 09-27-2024, 04:33 PM   #52

I also made my own puller and cam lock tools.
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2024, 09:54 AM   #53

I know the Solution is expensive you can get them on sale at times for around 15-1600.00, But honestly with a nice low mileage engine the fact that it will never be a issue is great piece of mind, I know it's hard to spend that kind of money when your in deep enough as it is,.But even a" New " bearing can go bad, But with the Solution you will never need to worry about it no matter the mileage you drive, Good Luck,..!! Frank
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2024, 10:17 AM   #54
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
I know the Solution is expensive you can get them on sale at times for around 15-1600.00, ...
There's a $200 off sale on their eBay store right now. If it doesn't show for you, make the offer and they'll likely accept.
Old 09-28-2024, 12:37 PM   #55

Quote:
I sent you a PM
Old 09-28-2024, 04:27 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
I know the Solution is expensive you can get them on sale at times for around 15-1600.00, But honestly with a nice low mileage engine the fact that it will never be a issue is great piece of mind, I know it's hard to spend that kind of money when your in deep enough as it is,.But even a" New " bearing can go bad, But with the Solution you will never need to worry about it no matter the mileage you drive, Good Luck,..!! Frank
The Solution's exorbitant cost, on top of what I shelled out for the engine, has me doing some serious ratiocination.
5-speed manual
Old 09-28-2024, 04:43 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
There's a $200 off sale on their eBay store right now. If it doesn't show for you, make the offer and they'll likely accept.
I doubt they would consider an offer of $679. That's about as much as I can talk myself into spending for an IMS bearing. Before I started checking prices I had assumed an IMS bearing replacement would be in $400 - $500 territory — more than the $200 - $300 it's actually worth, because it's for a Porsche. Talk about naive!
5-speed manual
Old 09-28-2024, 05:09 PM   #58

lol...yes indeed..I understand completely,..I think they would sell a lot more if they lowered the price Iam sure they have recouped the investment by now...but Patent's are expensive I guess, But you can always install one in the future,..maybe do a dual row for now.. Frank

Last edited by flmont; 09-28-2024 at 05:12 PM.
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2024, 05:41 PM   #59

Quote:
I have never been a fan of IMS roller bearings. Contrary to what they advertise, they are not stronger than the ball bearing design, and by far one of the biggest problems in bearing failures is heat buildup, and roller bearings get much hotter than ball bearings. I also cringe at how they want to get oil to the bearings............
Didn't Raby do a roller bearing which was supposed to address the perceived faults of the other common roller bearing IMS? Its write-up of it's advertised benefits might give insight into the possible shortcomings of other offerings.

https://lnengineering.com/products/the-definitive-guide-and-faq-for-porsche-ims-bearings/cylindrical-roller-bearing-ims-retrofit-kits.html
Old 09-28-2024, 08:13 PM   #60

Quote:
That makes sense. What's your verdict on Pedro's "technoFIX DOF" implementation of direct oil feed for the bearing?

https://pedrosgarage.com/site-2/technofix-dof.html

One end of the technoFIX's oil feed line connects to the IMS flange like LN's, but its not clear what the other end connects to — an oil filter adapter like LN's or something else?

The technoFIX DOF is less than half the cost of LN's IMS Solution, and I don't mind telling you, I like that about it.

5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 09-28-2024 at 08:48 PM.