Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2006, 04:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
My first car was an English 2 seat sports car called a Sumbeam Alpine. Think it was a 1960. Cost $250. No key as the ignition switch was broken. Came with a screwdriver.

Went to the wrecking yard and got an ignition switch from an old Jag. The Jag had a dash starter button so I got that as well. Put both in the Sunbeam.

Toolpants. My first car was a '75 TR6. Same deal with the ignition switch. Only I used the key from a '77 KZ1000 motorcycle. The exhaust rusted off the poor car so my buddy's and I used the 4into 1 exhaust pipe from the KZ100. 16 years old and broke? You do what you gotta do..

Joe

RAZOR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:18 AM   #22

I guess I don't understand the start-button fad. Why add another step to starting the car?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:14 AM   #23

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Earlier than that. My very 1st car was a 1939 Ford Coupe. It had a starter button on the floor. Switch on the ignition with the key, depress the clutch, and then press the starter button with your foot to engage the starter motor...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Yes, I remember those too! The dash button was hailed as a great innovation.

Then there was the key start.

So, now we go BACKWARDS for our bling!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
I guess I don't understand the start-button fad. Why add another step to starting the car?
I too was never able to figure that out. The only answer I've seen so far is that it's cool. I wonder if cranking the motor with a crank bar (in addition to turning the key, and pushing the button) would not be even cooler. Just throwing it out there.

Z.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #25

Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a throw-back to the ol' racing days. Similar to why Posrche has the key on the left side (which is where the button is supposed to go -like the S2K), it's for racing. It's quicker/easier than turing a key, and being on the left side (on a left side drive car of course) allows the opposite hand to be on the stick.

I wanna say the Honda S2000 brought this back. The Viper SRT10 has it, but it's on the wrong side. Then luxury cars such as BMW, Lexus, & Mercedes made it a convenience feature -key need not be inserted to start the vehicle. It's pretty cool on some Mercedes, where the button is on top of the gear selector.

On some cars it's a throwback, others it's convenient feature.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
what i also like is the MB key, that big fat thing, just put it in ther and turn and let go, then car starts, no need to hold for that second for it to turn over, and it looks kool
this thing, 1st time i saw it i tought the key pops out

and then also there is Saab and their whole turning the car on thing
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page

Last edited by djomlas; 12-16-2006 at 09:46 AM.
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #27

bat smoke

Now all you need is a Bat Smoke toggle. . . :dance: Seriously, whatever fancys you. I think the new BMW 5 series have this starter button now.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:01 PM   #28

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I finally got around to taking pics of the button I installed a couple monthes ago.

http://aycu13.webshots.com/image/6892/2001182860302120711_rs.jpg
http://aycu07.webshots.com/image/9126/2001102504592854167_rs.jpg

I still need to make a backing plate, I am thinking aluminum. Anyone got any ideas?
pretty cool, You should modernize the look of the button and have it flush, the start buttons in the newer cars do not stick out of there housing, they are flush.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #29
boggtown

Ya, the only thing Id do button wise is buy an s2000 button, which would be another $40. But at least all the wirings done, itd be a simple button swap.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:53 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Ya, the only thing Id do button wise is buy an s2000 button, which would be another $40. But at least all the wirings done, itd be a simple button swap.
Hahaha I have an idea for you,this would seperate you from the pack and give your car it's own touch instead of the traditional "race"/"go"/"start" button. Why don't you install a blank black button then get a clear sticker with this smiley face, ,and put it on it. Man that would be funny!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:00 PM   #31
boggtown

Why not go ahead and get a "self destruct" button... lol. A "Panty Remover" button, along with "NOS" or "Go Baby Go" would be funny.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:38 PM   #32

RMS FAIL button?

Old 12-18-2006, 05:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
I wanna say the Honda S2000 brought this back. The Viper SRT10 has it, but it's on the wrong side. Then luxury cars such as BMW, Lexus, & Mercedes made it a convenience feature -key need not be inserted to start the vehicle. It's pretty cool on some Mercedes, where the button is on top of the gear selector.

On some cars it's a throwback, others it's convenient feature.
I think it's just inconvenient. One of the only things I really hated about my buddy's S2000 was that stupid button. You have to turn the key to unlock the steering column anyway, why make two steps out of one? Oh well.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:12 AM   #34

actually its three things: turn key, engage clutch and repeat but pull floor matt out from under clutch. I need new floor mats! or a hot glue gun to get the velcro to stick to the back of the floor matt again.

The push button thing is not at a fad. Been on the S2000 for nearly 7 years now.
The Aston Martins have it as well, those cars have maybe the coolest sounding engine start up ever. If it were a factory option on my 986S I would have gone for it, like the soon to be installed one-touch softop button. I always thought a spoiler button would be cool too, does the spoiler go up and down if you are in and out of 70mph or whatever it is?

I don't understand why cars still have key locked steering column and why German cars require you to depress the cluch. A locking steering column is nothing a determined car their can't get around very quickly. I'd like to see cars progress into the 21st century and have a numerical code that unlocks the steering and a push button for engine start up. The whole ignition process on the Pcar seems very antiquated.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:15 AM   #35
bmussatti

I wish my Boxster started like my wife's Mercedes. Just like Djomlas says, insert key, turn, and the car does the rest.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:18 AM   #36
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
actually its three things: turn key, engage clutch and repeat but pull floor matt out from under clutch. I need new floor mats! or a hot glue gun to get the velcro to stick to the back of the floor matt again.

The push button thing is not at a fad. Been on the S2000 for nearly 7 years now.
The Aston Martins have it as well, those cars have maybe the coolest sounding engine start up ever. If it were a factory option on my 986S I would have gone for it, like the soon to be installed one-touch softop button. I always thought a spoiler button would be cool too, does the spoiler go up and down if you are in and out of 70mph or whatever it is?

I don't understand why cars still have key locked steering column and why German cars require you to depress the cluch. A locking steering column is nothing a determined car their can't get around very quickly. I'd like to see cars progress into the 21st century and have a numerical code that unlocks the steering and a push button for engine start up. The whole ignition process on the Pcar seems very antiquated.
[IMG]

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/convertibles/0509_4+2006_Aston_Martin_DB9_Volante+Interior_View _Engine_Starter_Button.jpg[/IMG]

COOL picture, PL. Thanks! I wish our cars have recessed door handles like this car too.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:57 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Current BMWs with "comfort access" have a key fob that you don't ever have to take out of your pocket. Walk up, the car unlocks, you hop in and push the button and the car goes. That makes sense to me - you never have to pull out the key. It electronically unlocks the column. Pretty slick. Cadillac has this now as well, and probably some other companies.

To have to put the key in the dash, turn it, THEN push a button? Makes no sense.

The spoiler has some hysteresis in it. It goes up at 70, but goes back down at some lower speed, so it's not going up and down constantly.

One zip tie and five minutes of your time can yield you a car that starts without pressing the clutch. I know, because I did it to my car. (oh, no "clicky clicky" when shifting, either!)
Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #38

MNBoxster wrote:
> Starter Buttons are just the Flavor of the Month
> right now what with the S2000 and all, and if
> you like them, that's OK.

Yea, I agree. And who'd like to be associated with Honda anyways?! Hence, I went with something slightly different for my Eunos roadster:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~peer/roadster-starter.html

If I now only could build up my courage to do this hack also for the Box...

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #39

i made my boxster not use the clutch for starting, took me a minute. so now i just turn the key and beast starts up...that would be a good thing to do if you have a stat engine button
one zip tie did the trick :dance:

Old 12-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #40

ok so does that no clutch-start hack add more longevity to the clutch?
how is it done?

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote