Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2024, 04:41 PM   #1

front screeching only on harder right turns...

new issue: horrible loud (non-tire) squealling/scraping?/screeching sound when turning right above like 10mph. I guess I haven't tried super slow yet.

I want to GUESS bearings, but I don't know such things. It is NOT pulling to the left, or even sounding bad or noticiable the rest of the time, just when turning kind of harder right turns. I beleive the sound is from front left.

Could it just be a bent brake cover thing scraping?
Does this sound like bad bearing - as in - stop driving it now and fix? It FEELS fine the rest of the time.

Thanks for any input.

Old 07-23-2024, 04:58 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
This is not as a diagnostic statement about Your car, but I've always found that when I don't want a noise to be the wheel bearing it Always is the wheel bearing.

Jack up each front wheel and spin it. Grab it at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and try to rock it. Try 6 and 12 o'clock. Any play or noise?
Old 07-25-2024, 06:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
This is not as a diagnostic statement about Your car, but I've always found that when I don't want a noise to be the wheel bearing it Always is the wheel bearing.

Jack up each front wheel and spin it. Grab it at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and try to rock it. Try 6 and 12 o'clock. Any play or noise?
thanks. I'll see about doing that next week. Kinda parking it for now due to schedule
Old 07-25-2024, 08:17 AM   #4

Sounds like a small stone trapped between the brake disc and its splash shield.
JustanOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustanOkie View Post
Sounds like a small stone trapped between the brake disc and its splash shield.
Thanks, I'll try to check that out. Could very well be. Seems to drive perfectly fine except for very loud on turns
Old 08-01-2024, 06:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Jack up each front wheel and spin it.
If you do this, just remember that there's a brake caliper behind that wheel. I mindlessly tried this years ago when I was hearing sounds from the right front of the car, suspicious of a bearing issue. Car jacked up, just stuck my index finger through a spoke opening and spun. Nearly took the end of my finger clean off

Lesson learned!

Unfortunately, nothing sounded weird when I did that. Nor did anything feel off when I did the 12/6 o'clock and 3/9 o'clock tests either. Couldn't find anything else (pebble in the brakes, etc)...so I got me a Sir bearing/hub tool set and replaced the bearing. The noise went away. Go figure..
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 07:47 AM   #7

so, jacked up front end, spun tires, all sounded fine, just slight brake pad grip noise like normal.
pulled tires off, turned and spun, all still normal sounding.

noticed the protector/metal shield on the back side of brake rotor seemed a little closer on the noise/driver side, so we tried bending it away just a little to match the other side. I still think the inner part of that might be close or scraping on my hard right turns.
I think the squealing has lessened and it seems harder to reproduce. I hear a little scraping pre squealing, but nothing FEELS wrong in turns.

Does this all sound like something is just scraping, or could it still be bearings?
I'm fine with replacing bearing if needed, but dont want the expense if it is just some brake shield scraping.

this only happens on very tight right turns, near or at lock, a speeds above 10-ish