Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2006, 02:35 AM   #1
kt1

Name that part! (pic)

Hello,

I was replacing some bolts to the engine cover to cure rattling (which was the engine cover's heat shield rattling) and saw a hose that was unconnected on the engine. It was a vacuum hose because when I started the car I felt the hose and it had a minor air suction going into it.

I need help in identifying what that hose is and where does it connect to? The hose is circled in red in the pic and the second pic is the close up of the hose.

FYI: I don't have any rought idles or fluctuating idle, which baffles me because usually a vacuum line exposed would cause that.
MY97 (2.5L)
Any help appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by kt1; 12-11-2006 at 02:37 AM.
kt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:35 AM   #2

neither the PET or the factory manual shows it going to anything at all. my guess is it vents overpressure from the power steering system, or maybe vents air bubbles that form in the reservoir. i'll check mine after work to see if it's open-ended like yours.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:19 AM   #3

It is a vent tube for the power steering reservoir. Does not go anywhere.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:13 AM   #4

"The hose that goes nowhere" - Someone should write a short story with that as the title.

Sounds like great late night reading for my boxster. She gets lonely in the garage in winter and likes to read to pass the time.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
kt1

Oh wow, that's a somewhat relief. Odd that they have a run off hose right there, shouldn't it be connected to a drain hose towards the bottom of the vehicle. They have that for the coolant overflow hose and im sure others. But at least I know the box isn't messed.

Randall, you're one weird porsche owner...haha btw I just finished installing Che's headers and exhaust, it definately feels like a different car with those two on.
kt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #6

A larger, fire-breathing set of headers and dual chamber exhaust does make the driving experience more like being in control of a growling lion compared to a fast, quiet cheetah sneaking up on its prey.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #7

Definately a vent tube... do not plug it in anywhere...

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote