Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2024, 09:41 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal View Post
Tell me about it.

JFP, if I may, I'd like to ask you a question. Other folks have replaced the switch without encountering the difficulties I did. Am I just a wimp, or what?
Replacing the ignition switch in these cars is a job for a double-jointed midget, so don't get upset about it Just take your time and you will be fine.

Old 03-31-2024, 12:19 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Replacing the ignition switch in these cars is a job for a double-jointed midget, so don't get upset about it Just take your time and you will be fine.
Oddly enough, I happen to be a double-jointed midget, so it's still a mystery. But thanks for the encouragement.
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 03-31-2024 at 12:41 PM.
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 12:38 PM   #43

Garage
Quote:
I happen to be a double-jointed midget
We’re going to need pictures of that.
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 12:57 PM   #44

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-31-2024 at 01:00 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 01:45 PM   #45

Somewhere else I read that a q-tip soaked in lacquer thinner and applied to the red paint on the set screws will break down the paint making it easier to unscrew them.

I know this switch change is "in my future" but I dread thinking of doing it. Maybe I'll try it in the parking lot of my "indy shop" so if (or when) I fail I won't have to tow the car to him.....LOL
Old 03-31-2024, 04:00 PM   #46

I finally found my tube of Permatex dielectric grease. I believe it would be a capital idea to use it on the new switch's terminals to protect against corrosion and ward off another switch failure. Corrosion on electrical contacts is a frequent cause of component failure.

This afternoon I proudly showed my collection of tools to a couple girlfriends, and they just shook their heads. They couldn't even appreciate the beauty of my gorgeous new torque wrench! They made japes at my expense. However, when something goes haywire with their rides, I'm the first person they call for advice. Different strokes.

5-speed manual
Old 04-01-2024, 11:11 AM   #47

Quote:
They couldn't even appreciate the beauty of my gorgeous new torque wrench! They made japes at my expense.
However, when something goes haywire with their rides, I'm the first person they call for advice. Different strokes.
Indeed, it will happen, it never fails.. LOL
Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:20 PM   #48

The first time I replaced this switch I struggled for a couple hours before I found the right tool (a jeweller screwdriver is not the right tool). The second time I had to replace this switch, it literally took 10 minutes and was SOOOOO.... easy. All you need is the correct tool. No need to remove the seat or be a super contortionist. One screw is plainly visible and the second you find by feel, but with this "special" tool, it's easy to find.

I bet you already have this tool.
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 05:53 AM   #49

OK....I have that tool.....but how do you grip it and turn it....fingertips? If it needs to be attached to something like a wrench, driver etc.....how did you maneuver that?
Old 04-04-2024, 06:41 AM   #50

Old 04-04-2024, 06:42 AM   #51

Or a quarter inch box wrench
Old 04-04-2024, 07:05 AM   #52
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
A flexible shaft screwdriver makes it a lot easier. The tip can be 180* from the handle.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
OK....I have that tool.....but how do you grip it and turn it....fingertips? If it needs to be attached to something like a wrench, driver etc.....how did you maneuver that?
At first I put it in a small socket but realized I didn't need that. It's easier with just the bit. It's a perfect fit so you can feel it slot into the screw which is slightly recessed. These are tiny set screws so there isn't a lot of torque on them. You can turn it with just your fingers. The important thing is the positive contact. You will struggle to get that positive contact with any other contraption. This was the smallest of my flathead bits. Any bigger won't fit.

Sent from my SM-S921W using Tapatalk
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:27 PM   #54

The correct replacement switch finally got here and I'm happy to report it's installed and works like a charm. I must say, it was easier putting the switch in than it was taking it out. Breaking those set screws loose turned it into a @*$%^#! ordeal. Other folks didn't have as much of a problem with them, so I guess mine were just exceptionally stubborn. By the way, Phillips set screws would make the job much less aggravating; it's tough to orient a blade with the slot.

Putting the side vent back in was another ordeal. I really had to reef on it to get it seated. But I finally did and then I secured it with its three Torx screws. ** cue ominous music ** The Torx screw that goes in the light switch socket didn't seem to tighten. But the vent seemed solidly mounted, so I called it good. Then I noticed a pink plastic "speed nut" laying on the floormat. I slowly bonked my forehead on the steering wheel repeatedly, realizing why the Torx screw in the light switch socket wouldn't tighten. At such times, I question my sanity in doing my own repairs.

Now... I could just shrug and let it go. But it would cause anxiety potentials in my brain's positronic pathways, so that's unacceptable. Sometimes being afflicted with Perfectionist Syndrome is a pain in the ass. Anyway, after I psych myself up again for the undertaking, I'll wrestle the vent out again and set things right. Once more unto the breach, dear friends...

I want to thank newBgeek and JFP for their suggestions that I use a screwdriver bit on those set screws, with a small rachet to tighten, which worked better than a screwdriver. Wish I'd used them to loosen the set screws; it wouldn't have been such a gawdawful ordeal.

Also pretty handy was this telescoping, LED-illuminated, multi-adjustable inspection mirror. Highly recommended for these types of tasks.

5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 04-11-2024 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:25 AM   #55

Quote:
Also pretty handy was this telescoping, LED-illuminated, multi-adjustable inspection mirror. Highly recommended for these types of tasks.

I like the idea of a lightened mirror.. :-)
Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 06:47 PM   #56

LWG, some of the reviews of the LED inspection mirrors (Amazon) made the comment that they were not that helpful due to being somewhat blinded by the light source pointed back towards not only what you're trying to see...but also towards your face.

Not a problem in your experience? Curious, because I'm tempted to pick one up!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 08:34 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
LWG, some of the reviews of the LED inspection mirrors (Amazon) made the comment that they were not that helpful due to being somewhat blinded by the light source pointed back towards not only what you're trying to see...but also towards your face.

Not a problem in your experience? Curious, because I'm tempted to pick one up!
I covered the LEDs with a strip of beige masking tape and then just enough light shined through to illuminate the subject but not enough to blind me. A dab of clear silicone sealer over each LED might be another solution.
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 04-14-2024 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:44 AM   #58

Simple but effective, very industrious of you.

I've had those cheapo dental mirrors before, but places you tend to need them invariably lack enough light to see much of anything. And trying to work a penlight into the equation is the height of frustration.

This, on the other hand, sounds very viable, thanks!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:54 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Simple but effective, very industrious of you.

I've had those cheapo dental mirrors before, but places you tend to need them invariably lack enough light to see much of anything. And trying to work a penlight into the equation is the height of frustration.

This, on the other hand, sounds very viable, thanks!
My inspection mirror has become one of my most useful tools. Before I got it, I made one. Aside from its lack of LEDs, my makeshift inspection mirror didn't have a telescopic handle and the mirror wasn't mounted on ball joints, so it was inflexible as to position. Pull the trigger, Frodo. You won't be sorry.
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 04-15-2024 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:41 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
JFP, this photo makes me laugh every time I see it. That girl has a body for working on Porsches.

5-speed manual