986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Replacing the ignition switch (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/85512-replacing-ignition-switch.html)

LoneWolfGal 03-18-2024 03:50 PM

Replacing the ignition switch

From what I've read about it, replacing the switch should be a piece of cake, except for the fact that it's a bit cramped in the footwell. So I wormed my way under there, upside-down on my back, to have a look-see. And dear sweet Jesus, "cramped" is an understatement. But if two-hundred pounders can do it, I guess I can, too. But first I'll need to psych myself up for it.

elgyqc 03-18-2024 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal (Post 659882)
From what I've read about it, replacing the switch would be a piece of cake, except for the fact that it's a bit cramped in the footwell. So I wormed my way under there, upside-down on my back, to have a look-see. And dear sweet Jesus, "cramped" is an understatement. But if two-hundred pounders can do it, I guess I can, too. But first I'll need to psych myself up for it.

Yep... BTDT...

elav 03-19-2024 09:45 AM

Before I realized that you can simply buy the $15 ignition switch part, I had bought the entire assembly. Honestly, replacing the entire assembly was a bit time consuming but easy. Perhaps do it this way to get easier access to the ignition switch part?

Gilles 03-19-2024 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal (Post 659882)
And dear sweet Jesus, "cramped" is an understatement. But if two-hundred pounders can do it, I guess I can, too. But first I'll need to psych myself up for it.

Your comments remind me of the steps required to replace the clutch and brake master cylinders on the Fiat X1/9's.. :p

husker boxster 03-20-2024 04:33 AM

When working on the dash of the shark, I removed the seat which gave me more comfortable room. A 986 would be a bit different than a 928, but may be easier than if it was still in. Will the extra work to remove the seat make up for the ease of the job? IDK. I never had to change the ignition on my 986, so just making a suggestion.

LoneWolfGal 03-23-2024 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elav (Post 659888)
Before I realized that you can simply buy the $15 ignition switch part, I had bought the entire assembly. Honestly, replacing the entire assembly was a bit time consuming but easy. Perhaps do it this way to get easier access to the ignition switch part?

It's possible I'll end up replacing the entire assembly -- the $15 switch and the mechanical steering lock, which costs considerably more (although eBay has a choice one for $39.99). I hope the electrical switch solves the problem, like it did for several other folks. Although it happened only a couple times out of maybe a thousand, the switch froze solid in the "off" position, and it took a lot of fiddling with it and swearing at it to unfreeze it. Only a couple times, but it's enough for me to order a $15 switch and install it, the contortions required notwithstanding, and hope to hell it takes care of the problem.

LoneWolfGal 03-23-2024 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 659894)
When working on the dash of the shark, I removed the seat which gave me more comfortable room. A 986 would be a bit different than a 928, but may be easier than if it was still in. Will the extra work to remove the seat make up for the ease of the job? IDK. I never had to change the ignition on my 986, so just making a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. I'll have to remove the seats anyway to install Lseat.com's replacement leather covers. (Actually, I'm going to have an upholstery shop do the honors for a hundred a pop.) Another possibility is to remove the left vent assembly to get at the switch. Some folks have supposedly done it that way, but I always shoot for minimal disassembly, so I'll try the contortion method or your method first.

tcoradeschi 03-24-2024 03:54 AM

Contortion method certainly works. I had switch problems about 12-13 years ago (IIRC,I could not actually remove the key), and replacing the electrical section resolved it 100%.

Don't ask about details, I quite honestly don't remember:-)

KevinH1990 03-24-2024 07:17 AM

It sounds like you have researched the job thoroughly and know what you are up against. I've had to replace my switch twice and I agree that it is not a task that you will enjoy. I weigh 190 pounds and I could fit in the space available. Based on your comments, it is likely that you are smaller than me. That will be an advantage. If you have the seats out for reupholstery, that will help.

I don't recommend that you replace the entire ignition assembly. Replacing the switch should solve your problem and you can use the money you save on something else your car is certain to need.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out.

LoneWolfGal 03-24-2024 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcoradeschi (Post 659958)
I had switch problems about 12-13 years ago (IIRC,I could not actually remove the key), and replacing the electrical section resolved it 100%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinH1990 (Post 659959)
Replacing the switch should solve your problem...

Thanks, guys. That's music to my ears!

blue62 03-25-2024 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal (Post 659956)
It's possible I'll end up replacing the entire assembly -- the $15 switch and the mechanical steering lock, which costs considerably more (although eBay has a choice one for $39.99). I hope the electrical switch solves the problem, like it did for several other folks. Although it happened only a couple times out of maybe a thousand, the switch froze solid in the "off" position, and it took a lot of fiddling with it and swearing at it to unfreeze it. Only a couple times, but it's enough for me to order a $15 switch and install it, the contortions required notwithstanding, and hope to hell it takes care of the problem.

The mechanical steering lock is exactly that "Mechanical" consists mostly of a spring and plunger.
If you remove the assembly you will find that it malfunctions due to the old "lube" or grease solidifying around the moving parts..

So if you flush all the old grease out of it and start working it will to help free it up.
You have to get all the old grease out. Soak it in solvent blast it out with air pressure. soak it some more. Until it is clean of all old grease. Then use a light lube it will function like new.
I would be very surprised if you find that you need to replace the assembly.

old911doc 03-25-2024 12:37 PM

Removing the electrical part of the ignition switch can be done several different ways. The way that involves the lowest number of steps is to work underneath the dash, squeezing oneself between the seat, the steering wheel, and the dashboard. This method is made somewhat easier by removing the driver’s seat (4 bolts, electrical connections, seat belt), but that approach adds steps and involves lifting the weight of the seat.
I have done this repair four times in my four Boxsters. At my age, 68, I am just too damn lazy to scrunch up underneath the dash.
The way that involves the least heavy lifting and uncomfortable postures is to ‘go in from above’, by removing the instrument binnacle, steering wheel, and left dash vent. This approach :
(1) Disconnect battery ground lead to kill the car’s electrical system, to avoid triggering airbag.
(2) Remove steering wheel airbag with T-27 bit.
(3) Remove steering wheel.
(4) Remove circular grille at left of binnacle to reveal T-20 screw; remove screw.
(5) Put hazard warning switch in active position. Using two small hooks, engage the two holes in the switch, hidden from direct view, and pull switch out, to reveal another T-20 screw; remove screw.
(6) Pry binnacle upward to free it from its blind fasteners, and disconnect the electrical connections from its back and the electrical connector for the hazard switch.
(7) Remove the light switch knob by pressing upward with 1/8” straight-blade screwdriver at the 6 o’clock position of the knob while pulling gently on knob. Then, using 24mm (or is it 22mm?) socket, remove retaining nut from light switch.
(8) In left door jamb end of dash, remove two T-20 screws from dash end. Applying pressure at top edge, disengage the blind fasteners and remove the plastic dash vent.
(9) Using T-20 driver, remove one sheet-metal screw retaining plastic air duct, and remove the duct.
With the binnacle and left air duct removed, the two small set screws which retain the electrical ignition switch can be backed out several turns, to allow the switch to be pulled free from the electrical contacts. DO NOT REMOVE THE SETSCREWS! It is unnecessary, and they are difficult to replace. Getting a small screwdriver to engage the slot in the set screw requires some hand gymnastics, and usually requires working through a mirror.
The purpose of the ‘dissection’ is to allow access with the left hand through the dash vent area and the right hand through the binnacle area.

Notice that almost all these steps are done while you are seated in the driver’s seat, except to remove the left dash end, and to disconnect the wiring on the back of the binnacle. No heavy lifting, and no awkward contortions. Many steps, but simple steps.

tommy583 03-25-2024 04:53 PM

What is the best brand switch? I need to do this again this spring and would rather not have to do it again in a couple years.

Gilles 03-25-2024 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinH1990 (Post 659959)
If you have the seats out for reupholstery, that will help.

Kevin, I believe that with the seats out, you would definitely have a lot more room for yourself :)

LoneWolfGal 03-26-2024 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old911doc (Post 659980)
The way that involves the least heavy lifting and uncomfortable postures is to ‘go in from above’, by removing the instrument binnacle, steering wheel, and left dash vent.

Doc, many thanks for the step-by-step. That's the kind of info that makes this forum a valuable resource. As I said, I always shoot for minimal disassembly, but it's reassuring to have a more comprehensive approach in my hip pocket, just in case. All the best to you.

LoneWolfGal 03-26-2024 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 659982)
What is the best brand switch? I need to do this again this spring and would rather not have to do it again in a couple years.

Before I bought the replacement switch I researched it extensively and came away with the impression that the inexpensive switches are likely to last just as long as the OEM units, so I bought one for $15 from Amazon. On the other hand, if it's necessary for your peace of mind, go with OEM.

LoneWolfGal 03-26-2024 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue62 (Post 659977)
The mechanical steering lock is exactly that "Mechanical" consists mostly of a spring and plunger.
If you remove the assembly you will find that it malfunctions due to the old "lube" or grease solidifying around the moving parts..

So if you flush all the old grease out of it and start working it will to help free it up.
You have to get all the old grease out. Soak it in solvent blast it out with air pressure. soak it some more. Until it is clean of all old grease. Then use a light lube it will function like new.
I would be very surprised if you find that you need to replace the assembly.

That's valuable information (even though I hope I don't have to use it). Many thanks, Blue!

LoneWolfGal 03-26-2024 09:06 AM

By the way, PedrosGarage has an excellent how-to, complete with photos. Best I've seen online.

https://www.pedrosgarage.com/site-3/ignition-switch.html

Rob175 03-27-2024 07:55 AM

I probably should have posted here but didn't see this thread.....

Anyone in the Chicago area that's done this and wants to get paid to do it again? Either an "indi or private person who's done it before.....I have the replacement switch and the tools.

Message me if interested.

LoneWolfGal 03-27-2024 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob175 (Post 660008)
I have the replacement switch and the tools.

Hope your tools include a really, really short screwdriver!