View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 12:27 PM   #54
LoneWolfGal

The correct replacement switch finally got here and I'm happy to report it's installed and works like a charm. I must say, it was easier putting the switch in than it was taking it out. Breaking those set screws loose turned it into a @*$%^#! ordeal. Other folks didn't have as much of a problem with them, so I guess mine were just exceptionally stubborn. By the way, Phillips set screws would make the job much less aggravating; it's tough to orient a blade with the slot.

Putting the side vent back in was another ordeal. I really had to reef on it to get it seated. But I finally did and then I secured it with its three Torx screws. ** cue ominous music ** The Torx screw that goes in the light switch socket didn't seem to tighten. But the vent seemed solidly mounted, so I called it good. Then I noticed a pink plastic "speed nut" laying on the floormat. I slowly bonked my forehead on the steering wheel repeatedly, realizing why the Torx screw in the light switch socket wouldn't tighten. At such times, I question my sanity in doing my own repairs.

Now... I could just shrug and let it go. But it would cause anxiety potentials in my brain's positronic pathways, so that's unacceptable. Sometimes being afflicted with Perfectionist Syndrome is a pain in the ass. Anyway, after I psych myself up again for the undertaking, I'll wrestle the vent out again and set things right. Once more unto the breach, dear friends...

I want to thank newBgeek and JFP for their suggestions that I use a screwdriver bit on those set screws, with a small rachet to tighten, which worked better than a screwdriver. Wish I'd used them to loosen the set screws; it wouldn't have been such a gawdawful ordeal.

Also pretty handy was this telescoping, LED-illuminated, multi-adjustable inspection mirror. Highly recommended for these types of tasks.

5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 04-11-2024 at 12:39 PM.
LoneWolfGal is online now   Reply With Quote