Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions
Register Garage FAQ Community Calendar

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
A few years ago I bought my father a 2000 Lincoln Continental. This car has more horsepower than the Porsche and is really fast for a big car. If I remember correctly it has like 300 horsepower with a V8 which I *think* is turbo?

The second day we had it I took it out for a "test drive" on the highway. It started to snow a bit. It was the first snow fall of the season so the commie government did not plow the highways. I was turning onto an elevated on-ramp (for those familiar with Toronto, QEW Eastbound to 427 North) when I hit black ice. I should have been driving slower but I never expected to hit the ice. I totalled the car into the concrete guardrail. I remember getting out on the side of the on-ramp and kicking the door, cursing and swearing about how much I hated the snowplow people who should have salted the road, but instead were at home eating donuts. The car was smashed up on the drivers side almost to the driver's compartment. Right after I kicked the door another car hit the ice and smashed into the wall beside me. I almost **************** my pants and ran back into the car. This on-ramp is about 50 feet in the air so there is no way off of it except to walk down in traffic which would have been suicidal or jump off the side into the highway below which would have been the same. There were over 500 accidents that night according to the newspapers the next day. I had just returned a week before from the sunny beaches of Cuba and at that moment vowed never to live in Canada again.

Anyway, I learned from this experience to take it really slow when getting into a new car I am not familiar with. Ultimately the accident was not my fault but it still could have been avoided. I had the car only for two days. The tow truck driver dropped it back off at the dealer in the middle of the night. I am sure they were surprised to see it back in the lot totalled after only a couple of days.



Quote:
Originally Posted by shift26
agreed! I have also been driving for more time than I care to remember and have driven under various conditions and have done autocross and other course driving. It is definitely good stuff. I hate it when someone buys a car and is not familiar with it and frst time out, have to test it's capabilities. It takes time to learn the car and get used to the way it drives under various circumstances.

Last edited by cartagena; 12-10-2006 at 06:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 373
Quote:

"At no time did the front end start to feel light or did it float. It's ability to stick to the road is better than any other car I have driven. While driving at about 130mph I too went over a bump that felt like it went airborne but I am sure it did not leave the ground. It just feels that way since you are being pushed upwards and your body feels lighter for a split second."

Originally Posted by cartagena

Yer right, the car was probably still planted. But when I myself go airborne it still counts

Concerning reckless driving, I think the best thing anyone can do is go race on a track where they've had some proper training and a set of crash walls to contain them. Many people who I've spoken to who do a track day or two instantly feel that need to push it on the roads diminish, it's just not the thrill when you've done 130 or 140 on a real racetrack. After that the thought of doing 105 or something on the road raises real concerns like road conditions, other drivers doing stupid things, and of course the cops, and it's just not worth it.

At the end of the day I feel anyone who has a Boxster vs. a real pony car is kinda missing the point with high speed streaks. This car is built for doing twisties with the top down, carving up corners and enjoying the pleasant winding out of the flat-6. Enjoy the fact your car is built with the quality to streak, and streak well, but it is capable of so much more

-David
__________________
1995 Silverado V8 - Green/Tan (FOR SALE)
2000 Boxster S - Ocean Blue/Graphite Grey
2002 GSXR750 - Blue/White
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg

Last edited by David N.; 12-10-2006 at 07:13 PM.
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Philly, Niefern DE
Posts: 119
The Boxster doesnt hit much over 100mph on the Turnpike, but I did hit 260kph last week on the A5 near Hockenheim in a rental car
__________________
Thom
'81 911 SC ROW = The Money Pit
'02 Boxster S = Daily Driver
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
Track rat
 
Topless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Southern ID
Posts: 3,701
Garage
Fastest ever driven on 4 wheels? 160mph on the back straight at Riverside Raceway in 1974 in a full race Camaro GT. (very scary)

Fastest ever in my Boxster? 95mph at Streets of Willow racetrack. (The car was as calm and composed as if I was going 40)

Fastest ever in my Boxster on a public highway? maybe 80?? I regularly have hot rod Hondas and SUV's blow by me in traffic at 95mph+... I also see a lot of fatal rollovers. I want no part of either.
__________________
2009 Cayman 2.9L PDK (with a few tweaks)
PCA-GPX Chief Driving Instructor-Ret.

Last edited by Topless; 06-02-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose California
Posts: 220
i drive slow so the ladies see me

fastest I have gone is 135. the car feels very confident but the front end feels light and so its scary.
__________________
2001 Boxster S
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose, CA.
Posts: 1,359
well it started when i took my car at work and in the middle of the day it start pouring hard and wasn't ready for it and wasn't planning to get the porsche to touch the rain. So what i did is , I drive so fast that the rain don't even had a chance to get my windshield wet...hehehehehe!

Oh Mah bad...that was in video games

Boxster= I've driven it 110mph till I hear my wife screaming.
Audi S3 2.0 T = 130mph on open highway with my son holding the camera.
MB C230 1.8 S/C = 120mph (for a few seconds) on the way to work. got meeting with the big wigs

*can't wait to put my hands on SRT-4
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 213
Looking forward to track time!

- C5150
__________________
2002 Boxster S
C5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,123
Garage
On most tracks you will never even get close to top speed....
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster original owner. I installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST-2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
Send a message via AIM to djomlas
so ure saying that to all the people that said to take it to the track?
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: usa
Posts: 78
I do 230 every day to school usualy only for 2 minits or so . still nothing to the 305 I do on the bike. lol mine seams to have a very bad shake from 146-170 after that its good any one else have that problem? all speed in kph
bosxter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 446
120 mph, then shut it down. I was surprised I was able to hit that speed in a very short distance. Open highway bridge with no cars, felt it was safe if anything went wrong it would just be me suffering.
__________________
05 987 S SOLD
Arctic Silver
Bose/Xenon

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page