Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #1

Lower sway bar bolt missing, need help finding parts site

I was just at Discount Tire getting a new set of tires when right before they put the back left tire on, I noticed two bars not connected behind the rotor. Talking to the guys there, it was the sway bar. Apparently the bolt fell off by itself and I am glad I caught it. I am looking to find a bolt replacement with out having to go to Porsche and have them charge me $50 for a bolt that I just plan on screwing on myself. To make it back home I inserted the bolt in the hole and zip tied them.

Does anyone out there know of a site strictly for Porsche parts such as nuts bolts etc.? Thanks in advance!

By the way, I got a set of Kumho's for 550 bucks installed! not bad...

99BoxsterATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BoxsterATL
I was just at Discount Tire getting a new set of tires when right before they put the back left tire on, I noticed two bars not connected behind the rotor. Talking to the guys there, it was the sway bar. Apparently the bolt fell off by itself and I am glad I caught it. I am looking to find a bolt replacement with out having to go to Porsche and have them charge me $50 for a bolt that I just plan on screwing on myself. To make it back home I inserted the bolt in the hole and zip tied them.

Does anyone out there know of a site strictly for Porsche parts such as nuts bolts etc.? Thanks in advance!

By the way, I got a set of Kumho's for 550 bucks installed! not bad...

Have you checked our sponsor www.986online.com??
Old 12-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #3

986 didn't have it but https://www.pelicanparts.com/ did. $1.50 bolt & 7.50 shipping.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:36 AM   #4
kt1

Or you can try a local store that carries metric bolts. (Some Ace Hardwares, I usually went to my local shop called "King Bolts" which specialized in bolts, nuts, fasteners of all kinds). They usually have a guage that measures the bolt and can find the proper nut with thread size. Unless you lost the entire bolt itself? or just lost the nut securing the bolt to the rear lower tie?

Word of caution, get the highest metal grade possible for the nut. Grade 8 is what i had gotten before for a previous vehicle that needed extended bolts for camber correction.

This'll most likely be the cheaper route without dealing with dealership prices, shipping charges, nor cheaper quality of running risks with used parts.

Last edited by kt1; 12-06-2006 at 02:40 AM.
kt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:15 AM   #5

hmm. there are two sets of fasteners on each side of the car for the rear sway bar. the first set bolts the sway bar to the frame. there are two fasteners that bolt a clamp / bushing to the frame.

the other set are for the drop links; they connect the end of the sway bar to the wheel carrier / strut (at the very end of the bar). it sounds to me like you are describing this part where the bar connects to the wheel carrier. if this is the case, you aren't just missing a bolt. the bolts are part of the drop link that connects the bar to the wheel carrier.

see the attached pic. if you're missing bolt #4, the part number is 900.378.055.09 and the Porsche list price is $1.37. it's a metric 8X40mm bolt. if you're missing #5, you have somehow lost a drop link. the part number is 996.343.069.03 for the left and 996.343.070.03 for the right; the Porsche list prices are $42.35 either side. take care.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:13 AM   #6

Wow, great diagram and description.

I am missing bolt number 6.

For the clamping device shown on the bottom of the diagram, where exactly does that go? It doesn't go on the bolt before number 6 gets tightened does it? Only reason I ask is because the bolt seams long that number 6 goes on. I'd look on my other side however it was lose at Discount Tire so we tightened that one too. It was loose where the bolt could go back and forth abotu an inch, about the size of that Clamping device. So maybe it was missing too.

I ordered: "Droplink to Sway Bar Securing nut, Lower, M10 (2 per car, sold per each), Front to Rear, 996 Carrera 2/4 (1999-04) , 996 Turbo (2001-05) Boxster/ Boxster S (1997-2002), Each Brand: Genuine Porsche."

It was a $1.50 for the bolt and $10 shipping, go figure. This sound right to you?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:37 AM   #7

cancel the order; you're in atlanta. you can pick one up at Jim Ellis for about $1.25 (in stock). the clamps are actually located underneath the car; they secure the sway bar to the chassis. it's HIGHLY unlikely that these have come loose / off.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote