Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
i think that the hood is different as well for the 987 so this is going nowhere lol
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a different hood. What are you doing with all those 987 parts anyway?

I don't like the Turbo or GT3 bumper... those demand I get side skirts. (I'm really suprised PerfectLap hasn't chimed in.)

So, to address my original post, does no one know what that original bumper is? Just standard issue on 02-04 Carreras?

2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #22
boggtown

Ya, looks standard. I remember some guy who did the conversion, said it was expensive. He was selling a carbon fiber hood, I think thats how I found his site.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i kinda got stuck w the 987 parts, my friend was gonna get them replaced on his car, but then figured it was cheper to get his fixed than get new ones, so now im stuck w these lol

i put it up for sale, but no interest yet, i guess wrong time of year to sell these since barely anyone drives their 987 in winter
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #24

Hey All,

I did the conversion back in 2000. I have all 4 OEM bumpers.

Carrera
Turbo
GT2
GT3

By far the GT2 has been my favorite.

I did this conversion in a matter of a few hours. I have also done it on a few other cars. You will need alot of little parts...it all adds up.

Take a look!

I also have the euro rear bumper:

europwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #25

europwr,

Do you by chance have a list of the items you will need? I know of the following:

Fenders
Fender liners
Lights w/harness
Front bumper

Also, what side skirts do you have on your car?

Thanks,
David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #26

Euro, that first BIG pic looks like the Turbo bumper, right?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:05 PM   #27

europwr,

You car looks fantastic except the yellow headlights. I love the black/silver combo you are doing there and the lights imo are a bit off.

Awesome.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #28

I actually created a whole list of parts and directions. I have it filed away somewhere. I am actually doing another conversion this weekend.

That first pic in this thread is just a regular Carrera bumper.

Thanks for the comments....the lights always get mixed feelings. With having the euro bumpers and stuff I decided to create the complete euro look with yellow headlights...kinda like French fogs on Bimmers.
europwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #29

I looked over at the garage at Renntech. You shouldn't doubt yourself. Looks like you were right all along. Your car is going to look great. I like to monochromatic look.

2003 Carrera (996) C2 Coupe (owner: kristap)
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
I looked over at the garage at Renntech. You shouldn't doubt yourself. Looks like you were right all along. Your car is going to look great. I like to monochromatic look.

2003 Carrera (996) C2 Coupe (owner: kristap)
^ that Carrera looks like it's got a lift kit on it!

That front end is perfect -down to the lack of headlight washers -no wait, it's got the wrong crest. Still, that's how I want my car to look.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com

Last edited by Jeph; 06-11-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:21 AM   #31

Where can I get a set of those intake scoops that are black on the side of the Boxster in the large pictures??? They Double Tape on?
99BoxsterATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by europwr
I actually created a whole list of parts and directions. I have it filed away somewhere. I am actually doing another conversion this weekend.
Were you able to find your parts lists? I am getting ready to order the parts and if you have the list already together, that would make things much easier for me.

Let me know.

Thanks,
David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:01 AM   #33

I like the GT2 the most, although I would go with a silver hood if I'm sticking with Factory look wheels and more subltle side skirting. In silver, the intake louvers that go directly below the hood breaks up the silver in a nice flowing manner.
I actually ordered that louver from DEVEK and was going to try and retrofit it to my GT3 MK1 bumper (holes lines up perfectly) but it never happened.

I've seen a Boxster with a 02-04 Standard Carrera facelift and I wasn't too impressed. I think it photographs better than it looks in person. My lady passenger on a quick glance said "I can't tell the difference". But girls always say that.
Either way you can't lose, those headlights are awesome, the best ever to grace a 911. Too bad they didn't stick those on the CaymanS and new Boxster. The Cayman would have been perfect that way, like a mini 911 with a nicer rear.

p.s.
that was an excellent photoshop, I'd love to see it done with the GT2 front end.
p.s.s.
All 911 and Boxsters on 18" wheels look 100% better with sideskirts, otherwise it looks jacked up when compared to one with aero. Makes it look lower, wider, longer, best mod I've done by far. I once had to convince several non-Porsche people that my car was a Boxster.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-13-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #34

This is the same front end and conversion I did too...

Mine is fiberglass and I bought it of of a Prsche aftermarket web site. I paid about $900-950. Can't remember which.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #35

This is the same front end and conversion I did too...

Mine is fiberglass and I bought it of of a Prsche aftermarket web site. It is the GT-2, I paid about $900. I added an extra set of fog lights and used black mesh instead of silver. Here is the web site. http://www.precisionporsche.com/boxkit.html

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 02-08-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #36

I have been looking at a few of these auctions on ebay. Seems they make several knock off styles for the boxster.

How is the fitment?

Any issues installing?

How would u rate the quality from 1-10?

$900 is STEEP for a fiberglass front bumper. Thats almost carbon / carbon price.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #37

yes very steep, that's why I went with the factory GT3 bumper from DPS Motorsport. I wouldn't spend more than $500 on any one fiberglass due to its fragility.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijen6
I have been looking at a few of these auctions on ebay. Seems they make several knock off styles for the boxster.

How is the fitment?

Any issues installing?

How would u rate the quality from 1-10?

$900 is STEEP for a fiberglass front bumper. Thats almost carbon / carbon price.
Fitment is great!

No problems installing

I would say 10 out of 10! I love it.

I don't think $900.00 is steep for a Porsche GT-2 copy. Some of the other bumpers are cheaper because of the type of front end that they are copied from, (i.e. turbo, or type "s" front end). Polyurethane is the way to go. I'm not a big fan of the Fiberglass, but I have had no problems with it so far. And it's been on my car for 8 months now.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Fitment is great! I would say 10 out of 10! I love it.
Glad to hear re: the fitment. Your car looks great!!

Below is a bit of a rant, so feel free to skip it.

In regard to the 'steepness' of the price:

From purely a production standpoint, a bumper is a bumper. Sure, it cost more to buy a GT2 bumper from Porsche to make the mold. However, once you have the mold produced, the cost to reproduce is about the same.

Assuming this is chop mat sprayed on fiberglass (the type used to make 99% of bodykits on ebay), it would cost roughly the same to make as a honda civic front bumper

On top of that, the mold is most likely cheaper as they pull 100s of copies off the civic mold, so it would need to be much stronger (more $$).

Thats is the only reason I said these bumper were extremely steep in price when compared with production cost. These guys can charge whatever they wants since I guess they 'cornered' the market in boxster bumpers.

If there was more competition (more ppl making ans elling boxster stuff), these bumpers would be selling for $200-$300 like every other fiberglass bumper on ebay.

Last edited by vijen6; 02-15-2007 at 03:38 PM.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Fitment is great!

No problems installing

I would say 10 out of 10! I love it.

I don't think $900.00 is steep for a Porsche GT-2 copy. Some of the other bumpers are cheaper because of the type of front end that they are copied from, (i.e. turbo, or type "s" front end). Polyurethane is the way to go. I'm not a big fan of the Fiberglass, but I have had no problems with it so far. And it's been on my car for 8 months now.
Just by looking at the picture below I can already see gap differences on your bumper.

I know Tony from Precision Porsche, ALMOST bought some stuff from him. His fiberglass work is good but not great. I have yet to see 10 out of 10 from anything he has copied.

Also pictures are never a great show of fitment and if you can tell fitment problems from a picture then its probably much worse in person.

Just my $.02

-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation