Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2024, 08:48 AM   #1

Are Boxsters Safe For A Teen?

Hi Everyone,
I want to purchase a 2000 Porsche Boxster, but is it safe?
(Long explanation so you can understand my situation)
I'm 16, and have been driving for quite a bit now in a 2005 Toyota Rav4 (My moms old car) that I am grateful for. My parents trust me and know I am a responsible driver. I have worked hard for a while now and have enough saved up for my dream car, a Boxster. However, they are not as concerned about my own error crashing the car but more so a large pickup or SUV running me over or crashing into me. I have done a lot of research but have found limited info on crash tests, etc. So, me and my parents would like to know if Boxsters are (being a convertible sports car) relatively safe? From people that have some real-world experience.
Thank you!

Last edited by Deccmber; 01-22-2024 at 09:23 AM.
Deccmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 09:51 AM   #2

I would vote no for several reasons.

1. Like you said, its low and could go under a large truck/SUV.

2. The rear visibility/blind spot visibility is pretty poor with the top up. I think this is the biggest issue, especially during "spirited" driving. The Boxster is our third "fun" car, so I can just drive it when the weather is nice and the top can come down if needed.

3. Not safety related - The storage kind of sucks, especially if this is your only car. I mean, I have to put my golf clubs in the passenger seat!

4. Not safety related - Repair costs are high unless you do it yourself.

For a fun slightly more practical car, I would probably go with a BMW 3 series of some sort. That was my first "driver's car." It was great and plenty fast enough to get in to trouble on occasion.

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 10:19 AM   #3

Thanks for the response, I guess I should clear somethings up that I forgot to include. The Toyota is a gift car from my parents, so it would be my practical haul stuff around and "Off Road" car. I am pretty mechanically inclined and your right, Boxsters can get expensive but I'm prepared to spend the time and money on it. This would be my project/driving car.

1. I have considered buying a hard top, does it change any of the blind spots, structural integrity, etc?

2. Besides from getting run over, I also wanted to know how it preforms on collisions. I've only seen the videos on Youtube of frontal collisions, but not side on, or rollovers.

Last edited by Deccmber; 01-22-2024 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:52 PM   #4

Tough to answer

You sound exactly like the kind of young person that should absolutely get a Boxster. Your maturity and skill-set seem well aligned to owning and enjoying the car. One recommendation is that you get a manual transmission car. The limited size of the Boxster interior coupled with a 5 or 6 speed would massively reduce your distraction level and ability to be engaged on your mobile phone. Paying 100% attention to driving and being able to avoid an accident is a strong argument FOR the Boxster.

But, you can't overcome physics. The size/shape/mass of a Boxster means it typically won't fare well in an accident with anything other than another Boxster or Lotus. Even a moderate size SUV will significantly dominate a Boxster in a collision. Something with the mass of a Tesla or large SUV would be even worse.

My vote is a tentative YES - with the caveat that you get a very brightly colored car and install tasteful yellow fog lights on the front and use them as DRL's. I use the same strategy on my BMW motorcycle. The DRLs are a game-changer when it comes to seeing the decisions drivers make when approaching. I have a similar solution mounted to my license plate with bright LEDs that get brighter and initiates a flashing pattern when the brakes are applied.

The Boxster may be (slightly) better then a motorcycle in a crash, but using training, skill, and discernment will avoid it altogether, God willing.
JSWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
2. The rear visibility/blind spot visibility is pretty poor with the top up.
+1, esp if your drive includes multi-lane roads. Gotta check your mirrors carefully before changing lanes.

As far as safety goes, all cars have to pass govt safety requirements so a Boxster is safe. Sure, you're not going to fare well in a collision with something bigger going at a high rate of speed. That's where you have to always be the best defensive driver on the road. There are always things you can do to mitigate the consequences of a situation. Always be on guard, always anticipate a problem. Assume they don't see you, assume someone is going to run the red light. Your anticipation can give you enough time (even if it's just seconds) to make some sort of correction to make things survivable.

I'm typing this response having lived thru a life or death situation. My girlfriend and I were driving home from a night of dancing and were traveling on a 2 lane highway. I noticed the car approaching weaved a little bit, which got my spidey senses alerted. 2 car lengths between us, he pulled entirely into my lane. There wasn't enough time to totally avoid an accident, but I got enough out of the way to only be side swiped. We would not have survived a head on. He was driving a full sized pickup, I had a Chrysler Laser. We met in Oct 1987. I wasn't drinking that night. That gave me an extra second or two to react. Seconds matter. He blew a .17 and fell asleep. He was incapable of defensive driving.

Should you buy a Boxster? I say yes, but understand the responsibility that comes with it. I'd suggest when you turn 18 to join your local PCA and do a DE. The novice training you'll receive will give you a much better understanding of how to drive your car.

Best of luck, whichever path you choose.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 09:51 AM   #6

I daily drove a Boxster for years -- there is actually a lot of space, you just have to get creative.

While you can't do an HPDE yet -- look for

Find one of these events and sign up -- you'll love it and it will make you a safer driver.

https://streetsurvival.org

As everyone else mentioned -- the blind spots are bad on convertibles -- but with the top down
you will be able to see a lot better.

I would not waste my money on a hard top -- it does not help from a visibility perspective.

A boxster is light an nimble -- and a pretty tough little car. I race a couple.

You do have to be careful in the wet -- until you get comfortable driving --- remember the back end will want to step out -- so learn about weight transfer and teach yourself to be smooth with inputs and "don't lift!"
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 12:59 PM   #7

I have been in two accidents in a Boxster. In one I slid on ice into the rear of a pickup. Fairly low speed but the Boxster was totaled by the insurance company rather than rebuild it at the best shop in an expensive town. I'm sure it got rebuilt somewhere else. The airbags didn't even deploy.

In the other a new driver in a Kia sedan plowed into me when I stopped at a traffic light. Maybe $2k to replace the bumper, bumperettes, etc. Her car was more badly damaged. (Not her fault nor that of the Boxster. A Truck behind me wasn't paying attention and was blocking her view of a traffic light and stopping traffic. The truck bailed out into another lane and she had only a truck length to react.

Are you better off in some other car in a high speed accident? It is a roll of the dice.You have lighter weight and maneuverability on your side to avoid an accident.

First thing I'd do is ask my insurance agent what it would cost to add that car to the policy?
Old 01-23-2024, 03:57 PM   #8

Firstly, Thank you guys for responding. I will most definitely consider attending a Drivers Education/Defensive Driving.

With the extra bits of knowledge I've gained from the thread. I can feel a little more confident about the future. I'm leaning towards purchasing a Boxster, but in the end, some of it is out of my hands.

Again, from a newbie, I appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2024, 05:33 PM   #9

Garage
There has been more than one young owner on this forum. A search might bring up some of that information but bottom line, it sounds as if you are mature for your age and you want to do your some of your own maintenance. I say go for it, these are great cars.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 07:37 AM   #10

My son has been driving a 98 Boxster 986 his junior and senior years in high school. He loves it and I feel that he is as safe as any other car. It has all the air bags and great brakes. It's relatively cheap and fun to work on. Everyone at school is impressed that he drives a Porsche but nobody knows that I bought it for $7695 and it's probably one of the cheapest cars in the school parking lot!
pianoporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 07:50 AM   #11

I would recommend something else. Boxsters when they break loose, they spin like a top.
Mine has surprised me a couple of times on certain roads and I have years of experience with it.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 09:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
Mine has surprised me a couple of times on certain roads and I have years of experience with it.
Beelzy, please don't take me wrong but perhaps be a good idea for you to attend a HPDE event, as there you will learn the limits of your car and more important how to react when you feel that your car is about to loose traction, this applies to any car.

IMHO, the Boxster being a sport car has higher limits than regular cars, therefore when you exceed them things happen fairly quick once you cross the threshold, and here is where the proper training and experience shines, like the saying goes practice, practice, practice
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 11:15 AM   #13

Throw a full cage on it, you’ll be fine. 😀
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 04:16 PM   #14
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Beelzy, please don't take me wrong but perhaps be a good idea for you to attend a HPDE event, as there you will learn the limits of your car and more important how to react when you feel that your car is about to loose traction, this applies to any car.

IMHO, the Boxster being a sport car has higher limits than regular cars, therefore when you exceed them things happen fairly quick once you cross the threshold, and here is where the proper training and experience shines, like the saying goes practice, practice, practice
...and having the correct tires for what you are doing matters more than any other part you put on the car.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:00 PM   #15

A guy I worked with let his 17-year-old son use his 2004 Boxster for a date. His son spun the car going around a curve. The insurance company totaled it. However, both occupants of the car were unharmed.

So, the good news is that a Boxster is probably safe for a teenager. As some of the other posts noted, it may be valuable to learn the limits of the car in a controlled environment.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 06:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post

Oh, not taken wrong. I've done quite a bit in the car and know what it can handle.
The surprises were due to road material changes entering a DMC for the highway after a light rain.

Tires like 78F350 mentioned is most likely in my case, as I was running half worn summer tires.

Cheers!
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:15 AM   #17

The Boxster can change between under and oversteer very quickly at the limit. Many years ago I drive the whole lineup from Cayenne, Boxster, Cayman and 911 on an ice lake. All cars had studded tires. Not the ones you use on roads. They gave you excellent control to a limit. The most difficult car to control without the electronic aids on where the Boxsters and Caymans. With the systems activated they were all the same. On normal roads with winter tires and the system activated anyone can use a modern Porsche. It’s the same as any other car out there. Respect the limits and you be fine.

On dry summer roads the limits are high in a Boxster. You need the look out for standing water in heavy rain or when the temperatures are lower and it’s wet. Winters is a must when the conditions demands. With good judgement the Boxster is a safe car to drive in any condition.

As a first car. I don’t know. In many ways I think a front wheel hatchback is a better bet. It’s more practical and can be as fun to drive as a Boxster. Some of my best memories are from a Peugeot 205 Gti.

At 16 you have a whole life ahead of you. Once more experienced you will appreciate nuances more in different cars and can use more of the performance safely.
Robert993TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:25 AM   #18

Invest in a set of 12" race ramps.

https://www.raceramps.com/cribs/wheel/p/rr-wc-12/

You will need to get under it to do almost everything.

Also pick up a copy of 101 projects for your porsche boxster:

https://amzn.to/48gPL0m

You will have so much fun with it. I love to see kids getting excited about old cars.

pianoporsche is offline   Reply With Quote