Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
blkboxster

Headlight???

my 99 boxster have halogen headlights right?

and are the 2003 boxster that look like this xenon ?

http://www.essentialstyling.com/headlight%20small_small.jpg

Old 12-01-2006, 02:14 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
my 99 boxster have halogen headlights right?

and are the 2003 boxster that look like this xenon ?

http://www.essentialstyling.com/headlight%20small_small.jpg
The ones in the link are Halogen Headlights as well. In 2003 the amber was removed from all the 986 headlights, however they do have amber reflectors inside the turn signal. The Xenon (Litronics) are options on every model year.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
bmussatti

Here is what you want, Blkboxster:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/personalisation/tequipment/n39/n240/n273/
Old 12-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
bmussatti

Blkboxster, here is one place to purchase them, but first ask some of our site sponsors if they can "price match" they deserve our business, first:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=00004490041&Category_Code=POTEBXCM
Old 12-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #5

Question 3 headlight styles?

Help me here. It seems like you can have either the original Halogens with amber, same light without amber in '03 model and Litronic with no amber from the get go? Do I have this right? I imagine the '03 would be a more appropo swap for my '02 as the Litronics will not have all the features which seem to include a sensor to your wheels in order to activate the second light. Rather the '02 will not have all the wiring to accomplish full benefit from the Lits. Endulge me as I am new here.

Allen NY
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:20 PM   #6

The sensor your referring to is connected to the suspension and controls the main beam allowing it to be moved up or down so the light doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Help me here. It seems like you can have either the original Halogens with amber, same light without amber in '03 model and Litronic with no amber from the get go? Do I have this right? I imagine the '03 would be a more appropo swap for my '02 as the Litronics will not have all the features which seem to include a sensor to your wheels in order to activate the second light. Rather the '02 will not have all the wiring to accomplish full benefit from the Lits. Endulge me as I am new here.

Allen NY
Hi,

The Litronic are HID lights (High Intensity Discharge), sometimes called Xenons. The Sensor is a self-leveling mechanism which adjust the lights based on the attitude of the car so that the lights do not interfere with oncoming driver's vision.

The necessary wiring, sensor(s) and relays are lacking in cars ordered w/o Litronics, so retrofitting the lights usually eliminates this feature. In the realm of anything being possible, you could retrofit a similar circuit to enable this function, but it's really not cost effective.

I don't buy the arguement that the HIDs significantly improve the illumination over the Halogens, especially for Urban Dwellers. I think the arguement is used more to justify the considerable expense ($1,00-$1,300) of the HID retrofit to look cool and not inferior to a Maxima which includes it as standard.

We have self-leveling HIDs on our Jaguar S-Type and they are nice. But the OEM Halogens on the Boxster are certainly more than adequate for every driving situation...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote