Thread: Headlight???
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Help me here. It seems like you can have either the original Halogens with amber, same light without amber in '03 model and Litronic with no amber from the get go? Do I have this right? I imagine the '03 would be a more appropo swap for my '02 as the Litronics will not have all the features which seem to include a sensor to your wheels in order to activate the second light. Rather the '02 will not have all the wiring to accomplish full benefit from the Lits. Endulge me as I am new here.

Allen NY
Hi,

The Litronic are HID lights (High Intensity Discharge), sometimes called Xenons. The Sensor is a self-leveling mechanism which adjust the lights based on the attitude of the car so that the lights do not interfere with oncoming driver's vision.

The necessary wiring, sensor(s) and relays are lacking in cars ordered w/o Litronics, so retrofitting the lights usually eliminates this feature. In the realm of anything being possible, you could retrofit a similar circuit to enable this function, but it's really not cost effective.

I don't buy the arguement that the HIDs significantly improve the illumination over the Halogens, especially for Urban Dwellers. I think the arguement is used more to justify the considerable expense ($1,00-$1,300) of the HID retrofit to look cool and not inferior to a Maxima which includes it as standard.

We have self-leveling HIDs on our Jaguar S-Type and they are nice. But the OEM Halogens on the Boxster are certainly more than adequate for every driving situation...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote