Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 05:48 AM   #1
fab

Autobahnd- 3M

Well, I'm taking the plunge. Car is going in the auto shop mid Dec. having my front bumper, hood (scraped down to bear metal) and side fenders repainted and then 3M is going to be applied. Can't wait, so sick and tired or seeing chips/stone marks.

painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:23 AM   #2
boggtown

Bet that gonna cost a pretty penny. What were you quoted for the work? Or how much per piece?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:27 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

I'll make a guess, 400 for the bumper and another 1100 for the hood/fenders.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:42 AM   #4

Make sure you leave enough time (I think 90 days?) for the paint to cure before they apply the clear film. Also, if you can afford it, make them cover the whole fenders and hood (whole panels) to minimize edges. Edges are more visible on black and even more so when white wax accumulates and dries there. You don't want that line accross the middle of your hood and fenders.

I'm pretty happy with my clear film so far. Cannot be seen even from a foot distance unless I point it out. Car is easy to wash as almost half of it is covered with the film (bumper, front fenders, and whole hood) -- just wash and Plexus for that section. I had mine done at a shop in northern NJ. They used a plotter to download and cut the pieces for the specific model car. They put some new Avery film (instead of 3M) on mine, as the guy said would be better for my black paint (should not yellow and fade as older generation 3M apparently used to). He seemed very knowledgable and has had a lot of business from Ferrari, Lambo, and Porsche owners -- some of them doing whole cars (all panels). Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing. The work is not trivial (took him three attempts and 6+ hours total to only do the bumper just right) and there are a lot of hacks out there.

Good luck.
Z.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:44 AM   #5

I paid $1100 for the bumper and hood to be re-painted after they were keyed. I'd guess about $2500 for the paintwork.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
fab

Paint job is approx. $901 and then 3M pkg is $695. It’s all separate. A professional will come in the shop to do the 3M work. The front bumper, hood and side fenders and I think I got he side mirrors included too. I'll need to double check. The car will be in the shop for at least 3 weeks. Mini hibernation.......well worth it.
Yes, the paint needs to cure before the product is applied.
painted bumperettes
door sills
Valentine One
Old 11-27-2006, 07:37 AM   #7

That's quite inexpensive for the paintwork...
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #8
fab

Yes, I know. I wasn't sure what the owner was going to charge me but since I'm one of their existing customers they must have given me a break. I think the owner was pretty impressed on how meticulous I am with my car.

Sorry guys, but I think in this case being a lady helped.

painted bumperettes
door sills
Valentine One