Thread: Autobahnd- 3M
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 06:42 AM   #4
z12358

Make sure you leave enough time (I think 90 days?) for the paint to cure before they apply the clear film. Also, if you can afford it, make them cover the whole fenders and hood (whole panels) to minimize edges. Edges are more visible on black and even more so when white wax accumulates and dries there. You don't want that line accross the middle of your hood and fenders.

I'm pretty happy with my clear film so far. Cannot be seen even from a foot distance unless I point it out. Car is easy to wash as almost half of it is covered with the film (bumper, front fenders, and whole hood) -- just wash and Plexus for that section. I had mine done at a shop in northern NJ. They used a plotter to download and cut the pieces for the specific model car. They put some new Avery film (instead of 3M) on mine, as the guy said would be better for my black paint (should not yellow and fade as older generation 3M apparently used to). He seemed very knowledgable and has had a lot of business from Ferrari, Lambo, and Porsche owners -- some of them doing whole cars (all panels). Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing. The work is not trivial (took him three attempts and 6+ hours total to only do the bumper just right) and there are a lot of hacks out there.

Good luck.
Z.