Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
1998 Boxster Owner

1998 Boxster doesn't have manual Spoiler switch - is this common?

So I trolled many threads and could not find the answer - is it common for a Boxster not the have the Spoiler Toggle switch. I opened the fuse box today since my spoiler is not working and it's just empty space where the switch should be.

I plan on adding 2 new relays since I did the #3 and #9 swap and it did not work

Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #2

My 2000 Boxster base has the spoiler toggle switch.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
Registered Boxster abuser

you should not have to open the fuse box.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #4

Lower left, see the button?

Last edited by healthservices; 04-09-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #5

That is the up-down button. This one is on a 98 though so yours maybe a little different
Old 04-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #6

Did it come with the factory aerokit that deletes the active spoiler in favor of a longer trunk lid with fixed spoiler?
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Did it come with the factory aerokit that deletes the active spoiler in favor of a longer trunk lid with fixed spoiler?
I went and checked my factory aerokit Boxster when I read the post.

The switch is still there on mine. Just deactivated.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:23 AM   #8

I had trouble with this too. I could not find the switch, and my fuse cover was missing. I finally did find the switch danging behind the fuse panel. All is well now. so keep looking.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschindler View Post
I had trouble with this too. I could not find the switch, and my fuse cover was missing. I finally did find the switch danging behind the fuse panel. All is well now. so keep looking.
Same thought - look behind the surround for the fuse box, four screws to remove it.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Excuse my ignorance but I have no idea. (I am not familiar with the factory aerokit) - I will look it up.

@Healthservices - I appreciate the pics and the sarcasm but like I mentioned the switch is missing. The slot where the switch is mounted is empty. I just recently purchased the car used from a Porsche dealership and it did not come with the owners manual. I am still getting familiar with the ins and outs of the car.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschindler View Post
I would look behind the panel than as Jschindle mention as there is a chance the fuse panel was removed to do some diagnostic work and not re installed correctly when replaced
Old 04-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #12
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benitom View Post
Excuse my ignorance but I have no idea. (I am not familiar with the factory aerokit) - I will look it up.

@Healthservices - I appreciate the pics and the sarcasm but like I mentioned the switch is missing. The slot where the switch is mounted is empty. I just recently purchased the car used from a Porsche dealership and it did not come with the owners manual. I am still getting familiar with the ins and outs of the car.
I'd question the dealer you bought it from as to what the hell gives here. There is a reason there is an active spoiler that kicks up at 120 KM/hr on this car and The Porsche dealer should know it is a stabilty and safety issue.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #13
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
I'd question the dealer you bought it from as to what the hell gives here. There is a reason there is an active spoiler that kicks up at 120 KM/hr on this car and The Porsche dealer should know it is a stabilty and safety issue.
Noted! Thanks I will call Porsche
Old 04-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #14

I'm surprised that a Porsche dealer would sell 17 year old Boxster on the lot. here is some more help if you are still having issues...

remove 4 screws and pop surrounding panel NOT THE FUSE PANEL ITSELF...

This is the plug...

This is where it plugs into the switch. since yours is missing I would contact 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others - View Profile: itsnotanova get a new one or source one as it is only a three wire switch.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #15

I have wired several boxsters and 911's wings to manually control them. It takes 2 relays and an extra window switch. It's pretty simple.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #16

When I bought mine I thought I was missing mine also. Like others have said it probably fell behind. That is where I found mine. If you don't find it let me know because I actually have an extra I ordered.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #17
1998 Boxster Owner

So I removed the relays and re-inserted them and now my spoiler works. I put scotch tape over the spoiler as others have done and bam the spoiler works. Antny I'll take you up on your offer if in fact the switch is missing. I know its an easy task but haven't had time to remove the panel to see if the switch fell behind.

Healthservices thanks again for the detailed pics. I know members get annoyed with noobs Yeah finding a 98 Porsche from the dealer was a surprise. It was a trade in from what they claimed from a long time customer. Could have been lip service. I did a little homework and asked them to give it a new poly belt. They performed the full 60k service and gave it a new set of tires. I couldn't pass it up so I took the plunge. The previous owner left it all stock - other than wanting a short shifter I am gonna leave it stock including the crappy sound system.

Thanks again to all who helped a noob!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #18

Just let me know. I don't want you to make the mistake I did and bought one before taking the panel apart and finding mine.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #19

Spoiler

I tell you if I could find a spoiler I really liked I would install one and get rid of the mechanical contraption that weighs so much.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #20

Mine Didn't

My '98 did not have a manual switch for the tail. I had to install one.

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote