Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2023, 09:23 AM   #1

Garage
AAZ preferred control arms

Hello,
I am in the process of overhauling the suspension on my 2004 Boxster and just started budgeting the parts to complete the job. My plan is to bring the suspension back for street use so I can take it on a long driving trip around the US/Canada/Mexico next summer with my wife.

I was planning to limit the brands to TRW, Lemforder, Meyle and Fibe Bilstein but came across AAZ preferred plus control arm and the part is less than half the price of the other brands, do anybody have experience with using AAZ parts or this one in particular?

Thanks

2022 Polestar 2 - Void… Black (Daily driver)
GustaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:10 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustaGo View Post
Hello,
I am in the process of overhauling the suspension on my 2004 Boxster and just started budgeting the parts to complete the job. My plan is to bring the suspension back for street use so I can take it on a long driving trip around the US/Canada/Mexico next summer with my wife.

I was planning to limit the brands to TRW, Lemforder, Meyle and Fibe Bilstein but came across AAZ preferred plus control arm and the part is less than half the price of the other brands, do anybody have experience with using AAZ parts or this one in particular?

Thanks
US, Canada and Mexico in your Boxster sounds great! Please start a thread on here when you begin your trip as I'd love to see your experiences, especially in Canada and Mexico. I've driver cross country a few times and always in a Porsche, first a 944 Turbo and then a 986S, and I've always dreamt of a long trip down to Cabo but I know the roads are not passable in places for a Boxster and require a 4x4 with some ground clearance. I drove my 951 to Mexicali one time but just to a friend's relative's house.

Sorry, no experience with AAZ parts although I have ordered from AAZ and have had good experiences from them with pricing and delivery.
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:43 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvolari View Post
Sorry, no experience with AAZ parts although I have ordered from AAZ and have had good experiences from them with pricing and delivery.
Thanks for the feedback, I also have good experience ordering from them but I have never bought their house brand.

I used to live in Southern California and the furthest I drove was to Ensenada and the Guadalupe Valley when I started fixing the car. Roads are in ok shape but only if you don’t lower the suspension!
Old 03-06-2023, 10:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvolari View Post
I've always dreamt of a long trip down to Cabo but I know the roads are not passable in places for a Boxster and require a 4x4 with some ground clearance
Several years ago I drove down all the way down to Cabo on a Renault Fuego turbo and later on a Fiat X1/9 and the roads are just fine, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again :-)
There are many magical places down in the Baja peninsula (unspoiled nature and fantastic seafood)
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:53 AM   #5

Garage
I wouldn't do it. Tried to post the site pics, but they aren't playing nice.

There's something shady looking about the AAZ ball joint for instance, the boot around it doesn't have the more complex geometry of the Meyle or even the Uro. The nut at the end of the balljoint looks cheaper and prob way more likely to strip/round out (zinc plate possibly??) and there's no way to be sure the casting quality is the same as the Meyle.

Considering these cars only have one control arm per corner, then it's really hard to justify going to bargain basement (unless you want to change out the parts in 2 years.) After reading about EPS track arms literally cracking at the tuning fork end (the part that slides over the control arm) then I am def in the camp of sticking to the best OE or OEM brands for Porsche parts.

Last edited by JZeke; 03-09-2023 at 12:01 PM.
JZeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:21 AM   #6

Garage
Thanks JZeke, I didn't look closer on that!
I will probably use the Meyle or check the Febi Bilstein against the OEM Porsche.

Tags
overhaul , suspension