Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2023, 04:32 PM   #1

15 year old considering 986 boxster S as a first car, Need opinions?

Hey, I'm a 15 year old who's into cars and I have a $20,000 budget for my first car. I already know how to drive a manual transmission, and I'm heavily considering a 986 boxster as my first car. Would any of y'all recommend it? Furthermore, I want to get into grassroots motorsport, such as autocross, as I already simrace and I want to see if it helps me in the real world.

driftzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:39 PM   #2

What needs to be known is that if something goes wrong with these cars, it is very expensive to fix if you have no ability to do it your self. The car in general is fairly easy to work on. Few special tools and you should be fine. A quick Jack makes the jobs much easier. Get a few books and follow directions. ALOT of YouTube videos out there. This forum is great for information.

Fun car to drive, sounds great. Plenty of parts.

Good luck!
Sand blister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:58 PM   #3

That pretty much sums it up, quickjacks have been essential for me as I bought a car with a lot of deferred maintenance. I don't think I could have handled the mechanical work at that age, but not trying to fix anything until later in life just means I started learning later than I could have done.

Look up 'help me diy' on youtube and binge watch it for a few days. If the work shown there doesn't seem too intimidating, then it's a great car for the home mechanic. And if you do get a Boxster, make sure you have two keys. If it comes with one, make getting a spare programmed in at the dealer a priority.
Hasdrubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:48 AM   #4

What are your long-term goals? If you are planning to attend college away from home, you will need to find a mechanic who can work on the car at your school and budget money to pay for the work. Working on a Porsche yourself in a dorm or apartment complex parking lot will be challenging. I suggest that you also obtain an estimate for car insurance. Young males usually experience higher rates. A Porsche may cause that cost to go even higher.

I think I understand your motivation. I wanted to buy a 1959 Porsche Convertible D when I was 18. If I recall correctly, the price was around $1800. My Dad suggested to me that it would interfere with college and career development. At the time, my assessment of the trade-offs was that I wanted to buy the car. In retrospect, that would have been a poor decision for me.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:44 AM   #5

Agree with everything that's been said. I would add if you have a $20K budget, look for a well sorted 986 S in the $13-14K range and keep the rest of your budget for repairs. The repair budget should last you a cpl yrs. The 1st yr will prob be exp as you uncover any deferred maint that needs addressing.

Look for 986s that have lots of maint receipts and has a good oil change history. This will be your best bet vs a 'cat in the sack' at the local used car dealer on the corner lot. Be willing to drive a fair amt to buy a nice one.

And remember: The cheapest Porsche you buy will be the most expensive Porsche you own.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:50 AM   #6

Garage
Be clear on what you are getting into if you buy a 986 Boxster (this applies to everyone, not just you). You will be getting a car that is 18 to 25 years old that will need to be maintained. Even the best example with maintenance up to date and no current problems will need work as old parts wear out, rubber hardens and things break.
You can pay someone to work on the car or you can do it yourself with the help of friends and family. If someone else works on the car it will be expensive and you will need income to pay the bills. If you do it yourself you will need a place to work, tools, time and mechanical inclination as well as money for parts. You should factor in the possibility of a major failure like a blown engine which can transform a $12,000 car into a $5,000 boat anchor. If you can find and install a used engine you could get it moving again for a minimum of, say, $4,000. If you pay someone to do it you can double the price.

At your age I dreamed of owning motorised vehicles... started with motorcycles and had to change the engine in my first car, a Triumph TR3. I grew up on a farm with space to work on my vehicles, some tools and a fascination with all things mechanical.
Not everyone wants to, can or should go to college. Some young people get actual jobs that pay well and where they take part in producing useful things for society, only you know what your situation is, but think about that.
You didn't mention where you live, where I am my Porsches or stored from December to mid March at best and from November to April if the winter is drawn out. Being without a car for up to five months of the year is a drag... but it is a good time to catch up on repairs.
If you can keep enough of your original budget to pay for parts for the years before you have a regular income and you have the necessary things mentioned above to do your own work with help from those around you than it could be a fun, learning experience. Fifteen year old me would be very jealous if you can pull it off.
Otherwise I would suggest something more mundane. Toyotas are in general bullet-proof and cost less to maintain... and there is room for friends. If you only have one friend a Miata is like having an underpowered Boxster that is a lot less trouble.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)

Last edited by elgyqc; 02-10-2023 at 09:10 AM.
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I think I understand your motivation. I wanted to buy a 1959 Porsche Convertible D when I was 18. If I recall correctly, the price was around $1800. My Dad suggested to me that it would interfere with college and career development. At the time, my assessment of the trade-offs was that I wanted to buy the car. In retrospect, that would have been a poor decision for me.
...unless, of course, you held onto it and kept it in really good shape for 35 or 40 years!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 06:06 AM   #8

My first car was a Dodge 340 Demon. Way more power than a 16 year old should have. I can't say don't do it. I will say a Boxster is way more fun as a second car than an only car. Get a commuter car and take your time on the Boxster.
wiebuschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:09 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebuschk View Post
My first car was a Dodge 340 Demon. Way more power than a 16 year old should have. I can't say don't do it. I will say a Boxster is way more fun as a second car than an only car. Get a commuter car and take your time on the Boxster.

+1 on the above

Boxster is an amazing 2nd car. You’re going to need a good reliable vehicle at your age that you can move stuff in, go on road trips, pile your friends in etc. The Boxster will for sure make your life harder if that’s your only vehicle.

Go get a used modern Honda/Toyota around your price range and then save up for the Boxster. I was the same way when I was your age but am very glad I waited to now because I know I can do major work/maintenance on the Boxster but still can hop in the car and go to work while it’s in pieces in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dramabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:52 AM   #10

Yeah, no I agree with you, I'm in an area with a decently long winter so I'd probably consider a boxster as a second car. I considered the mechanical work I would need to s a part of my budget but I'm only slightly mechanically inclined. I think a 986 boxster would be a good choice in the future as I want to focus on my academic future first. I think I'd probably consider a civcc si, as my older friend owns one and is able to the maintenance by hiimself for cheap. Thank you so much for your opinions, I'm going to think through this then finally consider other cars. I'll update this thread once/if I make a descision.
driftzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:54 AM   #11

My 1998 Boxster is still going strong. I bought it used in 2003 w/ 22,000 miles from a guy I knew back then. I always intended to use it as my summer "sunshine fun car".....it now has 91,000 miles on it and this year it's 25 years old.

The ONLY items I've replaced other than the wear items (brakes, tires and yearly 5,000 mile oil changes) are the plastic coolant tank in the rear trunk and the convertible cloth top. Does the car ride like new car?...NO it doesn't but it's not bad for s "Sunday driver". Is the radio good? NO but with the top down who cares? lol. The paint and interior are perfect and I still get compliments from those that see it.

I drive it 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year and still get about 25-28mpg....it's a fun car and really owes me nothing. Maybe I just got lucky but the car doesn't "owe me anything" as they say........ride on!
Old 02-10-2023, 09:49 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Owner

If your personal circumstances allow and you can financially maintain it then I say go for it. A practical person will tell you to get a 4 door sedan of some sort. My first car was a 79 Camaro and owned it for a while until getting my daughter in and out of her carseat was back breaking so I sold it. (my only car regret) selling the camaro
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:21 PM   #13

Garage
I'm in the go for it camp as long as you know what you're getting into. We heavily considered one for my son's first car but he's going to school in a snowy climate where a pickup makes much more sense.

These are fabulous handling cars and you can have fun at nowhere near the car's, and hopefully your, limits. Meaning, you can drive it safely and still have fun. They are fairly easy on the insurance side as well.

Good luck!
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:43 PM   #14
On the slippery slope

Garage
Whoa Trigger

A Boxster is way too much car for a new driver. You need to get some experience driving before driving a high performance car.

My first car was a 66 Dodge Dart with a small slant 6.
My son had a fun, yet safe first car, a 98 BMW 318is. Super safe, great handling and not too much power.

Get some proficiency and driving skills and then get into a performance car.

Do a safety driving course like Street Survival or if PCA San Diego still is doing it, their PDS Performance Driving School. Its not about racing, its all about car control.

I guarantee you that no matter how good or skilled driver you may think you are at 15 or 16 a Porsche is far more car than you think it is

Sim driving is not the same as being on a road with other drivers. You crash or do something stupid in sim, its no big deal, in a real car, you can be badly injured, killed or injure or kill someone else

my 2 cents ....
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 02-10-2023 at 01:47 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:01 PM   #15

First, hats off to you for working hard and being able to save that much money - amazing achievement at any age! I would encourage you to do autocross - no matter what car you end up getting.

I bought a Boxster to wrench on with my kids. Honestly, it isn't the easiest to work on - Civic or Miata, as you and others suggested, would be better cars to wrench on as plugs, etc. are more easily accessible, which will encourage you to do more. We like the Boxster but my kids often borrow other cars as they want a backseat so they can hang with friends, etc. Also, with any car, have it checked out before buying it.
Old 02-10-2023, 05:17 PM   #16

1. Don't do it. Car is great. You are not ready for it (no offense, I have 4 boys).
2. It will not be a second car. You can't afford it. You have to register, maintain and, here's the kicker, insure two cars. One car is expensive enough.
3. Whatever your first car is, you will most likely wreck it. Don't go for your dream car (yet).
4. At 15, getting your license and wheels is the most important thing in the world. It won't be the most important by 20, but if it is, you might want to think about the choices your'e making.

Get something fun but affordable. Learn how to take care of it then go from there.

PS. Best of luck. Not trying to rain on your parade but need to be realistic.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
...unless, of course, you held onto it and kept it in really good shape for 35 or 40 years!
The only way that would have happened is if I didn’t do a lot of the things I enjoyed in my life. It is one thing to wrench on a car when everything is shut down during Covid. It’s quite a different thing to give up the experiences you have available when you are 16-25 and relatively unencumbered.

I’m not the greatest mechanic, but my skills today are at a much higher level than they were when I was 18. In addition, there are many more sources of help such as YouTube and the forums. Of course a 356 is a less complicated vehicle and I probably would have figured it out.

That said, when I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpjSOMhZj8 I couldn’t help but think of what might have been.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:10 AM   #18
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftzr View Post
... , I want to get into grassroots motorsport, such as autocross, as I already simrace and I want to see if it helps me in the real world.
For advice on grassroots motorsport you may be interested in checking out the Grassroots Motorsports Forum - https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ The most likely response that you'll get there is that an NA Miata is the answer. People there can give you lots of good advice about getting into motorsports in general.

Most of what has been said here is valid and great advice, but we don't know anything about You. There have been a few teenagers here on the forum that got a lot out of owning a 986. Two that are worth reviewing are Jake (BIGJake111) and Rob (cornontherob).

Here you can see the threads that they started:
986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners - Search Results
https://986forum.com/forums/search.php?do=finduser&u=73185&starteronly=1

Personally, I would not hesitate to give one of my grandkids a 986/987 Boxster if I felt they had an aptitude for cars. I gave my youngest daughter a '99 986 after she totaled our Volvo, then drove a (penalty) Geo Metro for nearly a year.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:19 PM   #19

I was heavily involved in auto cross and DE when Boxsters came out and never saw any other car spin off the track so much. While everyone praises the handling I’ve always thought of it as a car that will bite you real fast if you do something dumb.
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:13 PM   #20

Garage
Sadly the answer here is Miata. I've owned 4. Not at all shabby cars, but the cost of owning/operating/modding is peanuts. Plus they go together like Legos.

NB is best to drive in that budget, but an NC2/3 is far more comfortable and useful. Can prob get an ND1 for $20k now too, and that's a gorgeous machine that lives for suspension upgrades.

Alternative would be a GT86/FR-S/BRZ 1st gen.