Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2023, 12:48 PM   #1

Garage
997 Internal AOS - Is it an upgrade? Do they even exist?

Very strange but when I first was reading all about 986's, I came upon a few articles about upgrading the internal AOS on our Boxsters to an updated 997 part which is basically just tubes instead of actual AOS's. I'm not talking about the faulty AOS on the outside of the engine that causes all the problems but instead the two inside the oil sump that return the used oil to the oil pan and route it through two separate AOS's. But now after spending quite a bit of time searching for these articles and part numbers, I can't find anything. I've searched countless 997's, including many different years (05-12) and models (S and non S) and I can't find any one of these cars that takes a 997 numbered internal AOS. They all call for the same 996 part on our cars.

So what's going on? Are the updated 997 parts still available? Is it an upgrade? And by upgrade, I mean do the experts update to them or do they find fault with them?

And if anyone knows the part numbers, I'd love that info too as I can not find them anywhere anymore.

Thanks.

87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:25 PM   #2

Don’t waste your time or money. Get the UAOS with track drain. It will never fail and allows you to run a higher oil level that ends up draining back to the block via a modified oil fill tube.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvolari View Post
Very strange but when I first was reading all about 986's, I came upon a few articles about upgrading the internal AOS on our Boxsters to an updated 997 part which is basically just tubes instead of actual AOS's. I'm not talking about the faulty AOS on the outside of the engine that causes all the problems but instead the two inside the oil sump that return the used oil to the oil pan and route it through two separate AOS's. But now after spending quite a bit of time searching for these articles and part numbers, I can't find anything. I've searched countless 997's, including many different years (05-12) and models (S and non S) and I can't find any one of these cars that takes a 997 numbered internal AOS. They all call for the same 996 part on our cars.

So what's going on? Are the updated 997 parts still available? Is it an upgrade? And by upgrade, I mean do the experts update to them or do they find fault with them?

And if anyone knows the part numbers, I'd love that info too as I can not find them anywhere anymore.

Thanks.
The updated version is this 'return tube' as lower item on the picture below.Original 'swirl pot' in the top one.
I am just now comtemplating should I change those, but am not really certain is it worth it.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:15 AM   #4

The the breakdown is that the swirl pots reduced aeration of the oil but slowed oil return. The 997 return tubes return oil faster in theory allowing for more oil to be available at the pick up tubes. The 997 tubes bolt right in and are considered an upgrade. You would add a windage tray if you’re concerned about aeration.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:02 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveach756 View Post
Don’t waste your time or money. Get the UAOS with track drain. It will never fail and allows you to run a higher oil level that ends up draining back to the block via a modified oil fill tube.
Ha, but their pricing is comical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
The updated version is this 'return tube' as lower item on the picture below.Original 'swirl pot' in the top one.
I am just now comtemplating should I change those, but am not really certain is it worth it.
Yeah, I'm not sure either. Trying to get Lee Jenkins answer on facebook group but I can't find the part numbers to reference and now I can't find any mention of them online. If I get an answer from him, I'll post here. I'm sure either version will work and probably won't kill your engine. Or, consequently, maybe it will. Who knows with these engines...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveach756 View Post
The the breakdown is that the swirl pots reduced aeration of the oil but slowed oil return. The 997 return tubes return oil faster in theory allowing for more oil to be available at the pick up tubes. The 997 tubes bolt right in and are considered an upgrade. You would add a windage tray if you’re concerned about aeration.
Hmmm, good to know. I wonder if using one of each would be an option? One 997 to allow quick oil return and one 996 to help aerate part of the oil. I guess it could cause unknown issues with oil pooling on one side of the engine and affecting our tender little M96 engines.

Geez, these engines make you double think everything....

Thanks for the answers.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the 997 versions?

87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote