Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2022, 05:13 PM   #1

Odd Electrical Issue

Key Fob stopped working so I checked the battery and spare key...Both didn't work either.

Car unlocks and starts with key, but after turning on I hear the buzz of the doors unlocking as if I hit the fob. Trunk and Frunk release wont work either from the fob or the car unless the key is in the ignition.

Thinking it could be a fuse, but hoping by module isn't going. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2001 Boxster S.

AZCanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:17 AM   #2

Are you able to operate the door locks via the button in the center console?

I would check the alarm control module under the drivers seat. Especially if the connectors are connected correctly and if there is corrosion in the connectors or in the alarm control module - which is also the bcu.

I don't think that is caused by a fuse.

Also both remotes can be bad. But this in general won't cause the additional problems.
Old 09-10-2022, 04:04 PM   #3

Thanks Smallblock.

The center console key button does work, but only with the key in the ignition. Its like the car has no power unless the key is in and turned but not necessarily started. Even then the other key fob doesn't work, but ive never tested that before and perhaps thats not unusual.
AZCanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:49 AM   #4

After thinking about it, this could be caused by the ignition lock, because it seems there is some functionality missing that should be there if there is no key in the ignition lock and the alarm system is not active.

If you turn on ignition (so the alarm system is deactivated) and then remove the key from the ignition lock, than the door locks should be operable via the button in the center console.

If you have access to Piwis or Durametric, you could check the DTCs in the alarm control module M535 and also check the actuators and the temporary conditions.

Still there is a possibility that the M535 has a problem or a connector has corrosion or a plug is not connected correctly or a cable in the connector is loose.