Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2022, 09:10 AM   #1

Smile Trying to decide if I should sell

I have a 2013 Boxster, base model. Recently had to get the drop top repaired. Drains got clogged, rusted some of the wires and it stopped working. Had water in the car at some point. In any event, here's the delimma: I love the car, but am worried about ongoing maintenance issues. I bought it in 2015 for 35k. Carmax is offering 18.5k as is today. I've put 55k miles on it in that time, so the ODO reads 110k-ish. Car is paid off, but I thought the original price was a bargain at the time. Getting about 50% of original purchase price back seems like a good deal...buuuuut. I don't want to get out of the Porsche family. I could just buy another, but pricing right now and all that makes it less optimal. I'm looking to see if anyone has any input or thoughts about the best direction to go. I am not asking you to make a decision for me, but maybe talk me off the ledge. Am I missing anything I should consider? I am not hurting for money or anything like that. Regular maintenance is generally just consistent with doing the normal mileage stuff. I do need to spend about another $1500 to replace the head unit as the water damage destroyed the amp or wiring or whatever. Not sure. In any event, I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts one way or the other. Maybe even suggestions for something else to purchase. Thanks.

Jokyjoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:21 PM   #2

water damage canonly get worse. not sure how clogged drains though would have got the radio or wiring wet. Kind of sounds like it got flooded or more then just drains clogged.

If someone offers you $18k for a 100k mile car with water damage...jump on it and get rid of it.

Also, might want to ask on Rennlist as this is really a forum for the 986 which is older then your 13
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
water damage canonly get worse. not sure how clogged drains though would have got the radio or wiring wet. Kind of sounds like it got flooded or more then just drains clogged.

If someone offers you $18k for a 100k mile car with water damage...jump on it and get rid of it.

Also, might want to ask on Rennlist as this is really a forum for the 986 which is older then your 13

Response: Thanks for the input. I did sell the car today. Just FYI: Not sure if this classifies as "flooded," but the drain port on the passenger side was clogged with debris from outside (leaves, pollen, etc.). It eventually broke down and turned into mulch or whatever and clogged the drain. Sort of like what happens if you don't clear that crap out of your engine hood near the windshield. In any event, it did puddle up on the floor board behind the passenger seat. The tech who did the repair said the wiring on the roof was rusted and required soldering. I had intentions of fixing it myself, but waited too long before I attempted it. The roof stopped working and then I just put a cover on it b/c I was irritated by a simple procedure that I could have gotten fixed for $200 while it was at the dealership. But me and my big ideas and all that. In any event, I sold it and stopped by the dealership on the way home. I miss it already. LOL.

Thanks for the input and sorry about posting in the wrong forum.
Jokyjoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #4

Garage
Good luck in your search for another Porsche! Sounds like getting rid of it was a good move.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:28 AM   #5

That was fast.

If you can, wait a few mo with buying a replacement. The deeper the economy plunges, the better the car deals become. There are currently a lot of repos that are about to hit the used mkt (they're starting to work their way into the wholesale mkt). That will drive prices down too. The last 2 yrs were seller's mkts. This next yr should be a buyer's mkt. If you can wait, there will be some great bargains out there in 2-3 mo.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote