Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2022, 08:18 AM   #41

Thank you for saying is you are happy for me that I was able to get the dampening where I wanted it to be by just changing wheels and tires.

Because that is how I read your post.

I read it as: " Good for you that you tried the simple thing first and it worked :0) "

I wasn't trying to make a Rolls Royce ride, my stated aim was to dampen the unwanted shocks over rough patches of road, and since I don't track, autocross, or compete with the car, I don't need as stiff an initial shock pulse.

I'm happy this simple change got me to where I wanted to be.

I wish you a happy day too :0)

Last edited by DreamSign; 08-01-2022 at 08:21 AM.
DreamSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:20 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Rotational mass and sprung weight are two different things as already noted in another reply, but glad you mentioned it. So much trade-offs with larger wheels and tires for more ‘look’ over function, sacrificing performances in terms of acceleration, deceleration/ braking, handling and ride. Of course you can upsize them when you have overwhelming power to manage, I’m just a minimalist when it comes to my 986, less is more.
Yes, as Bugs Bunny once said, "I had that backwards, and in reverse..."
Old 08-01-2022, 09:02 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSign View Post
Yes, as Bugs Bunny once said, "I had that backwards, and in reverse..."
Yeah I’m glad that you arrived a logical solution. Replace your 15 year old front tires and you’ll be all set, probably with a bit more ride comfort with fresh rubber.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:10 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Yeah I’m glad that you arrived a logical solution. Replace your 15 year old front tires and you’ll be all set, probably with a bit more ride comfort with fresh rubber.
Yes, the age of those front tires might have been part of the stiffer feel, I don't know.
New tires going on this week.

Last edited by DreamSign; 08-01-2022 at 09:01 PM.