Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2022, 09:56 AM   #1

Ims bearing

I’m in the process of buying a 2003 boxster and the ims bearing was done with a ln, does this ever have to be done again like timing belts every 100 m miles

Jimbo409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:55 AM   #2

IMS Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo409 View Post
I’m in the process of buying a 2003 boxster and the ims bearing was done with a ln, does this ever have to be done again like timing belts every 100 m miles
As this is a question about LN products, I visited their web page and found this :

Unlike the factory Porsche IMS Bearing that had no service interval, replacement IMS roller and ball bearings have service intervals. The only exception to this is the IMS Solution that is designed for the lifetime of the engine and does not require any further servicing. LN Engineering's Single Row Pro and Classic Dual Row IMS Retrofit bearings have a 6 year or 75,000 mile service interval (whichever comes first).
Old 07-31-2022, 02:45 PM   #3
Boxing in Australia

I have a 2003, owned for 6 years, had the solution fitted because l am a worrier. I think I will get most of the cost back when I sell.the original bearing was fine, had the RMS done at the same time 70,000 km on the clock at the time. Engine seems smoother and quieter, could be placebo effect.

Alan
Alan Mackew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:12 AM   #4

I have a 2001 base and changed out the original bearing for the duel row ln version. That was in 2016. I don't beat the car up and drive normal to moderate even when on a "fun" drive. As it is my daily driver, I change the oil religiously every 3500 miles to keep it reasonably clean. Don't plan on replacing the bearing until after the 75,000 mile criteria, if then.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:03 AM   #5

There were lots of discussions on this topic a few years ago, especially when one Jake Raby was still reading and posting here. (I suspect he still reads here, but no longer posts.)

IIRC, kind of a general consensus was to re-do the IMS bearing whenever the clutch is done. Which also happens to be a convenient time to do it, mechanically speaking.

This obviously doesn't apply in the case of the IMS Solution, the one-and-done approach.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote