Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #1

987 Service Indicator

My boxster turned 1 yr old and hit 10k miles a few weeks ago, so I took it in for an oil change. Now there's an indicator that says "Service within 30 days"

Is that sensor based that would indicate something wrong? or did the tech forget to reset something on the OBD? and shouldn't it come on closer to 20k?

pbadss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadss
My boxster turned 1 yr old and hit 10k miles a few weeks ago, so I took it in for an oil change. Now there's an indicator that says "Service within 30 days"

Is that sensor based that would indicate something wrong? or did the tech forget to reset something on the OBD? and shouldn't it come on closer to 20k?
Sounds like something got screwed up. My 987 didn't start warning me about impending service until near 20,000 miles. Actually, it seems to start within 1000 miles of the 20,000 mile mark, but mine started up about 200 miles late, which I thought was weird as it still said, "1000 miles until service". I guess it doesn't go off the odometer...? If it went off of engine cycles I'd expect service warnings to start happening early, not late.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Sounds like something got screwed up. My 987 didn't start warning me about impending service until near 20,000 miles. Actually, it seems to start within 1000 miles of the 20,000 mile mark, but mine started up about 200 miles late, which I thought was weird as it still said, "1000 miles until service". I guess it doesn't go off the odometer...? If it went off of engine cycles I'd expect service warnings to start happening early, not late.
That's interesting, mine started up about 200 miles late too. I got the oil changed but I guess Powertech forgot to reset the coundown. Did anyone figure out how to do this?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote