Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2022, 07:45 AM   #1

What else to change while replacing water pump?

It's time to replace my water pump in 2001 base with 135k+ miles.

What else should I replace other than the thermostat?
(I actually want to skip the thermostat. It is at least 12 years old. How bad is this idea?)

I am thinking I may need to replace the coolant hoses as they are at least 12 years old.
How many hoses should be replaced during this job?

Thank you in advance,

Old 03-20-2022, 08:14 AM   #2

Serpentine belt
Check tensioner pulleys and possibly replace

If you are wanting to do an underdrive pulley this is a good time.

When I did my water pump (around 110,000'ish miles, don't have access to my records on the phone) I did WP, low temp thermostat, UD pulley, and new serpentine belt (had to because of pulley but would have anyway) and did a full coolant flush.

This is a good time to do the front engine mount as well.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 04:32 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

What he said... and...

If the pulleys aren't making any noise I'd consider (and did on my own) regreasing the bearings.

The water pump removal/installation is much easier to do with the engine mount removed. There's one bolt in particular that will grant you much easier access with the mount removed.

Skip the thermostat? Please... just do it while you're down there. I just had a "good" conversation with my adult daugher about her not replacing the thermostat when her car began overheating. Good, not good. She ****************ed up (Ruined. Kaput)her entire engine over a $20 part. Please don't go that route because I don't want to have to read your thread about what happened when you chose to not replace the thermostat. Just. Do. It.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Serpentine belt
Check tensioner pulleys and possibly replace

If you are wanting to do an underdrive pulley this is a good time.

When I did my water pump (around 110,000'ish miles, don't have access to my records on the phone) I did WP, low temp thermostat, UD pulley, and new serpentine belt (had to because of pulley but would have anyway) and did a full coolant flush.

This is a good time to do the front engine mount as well.
Thanks Steve.
I forgot about the serpentine belt.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
What he said... and...

If the pulleys aren't making any noise I'd consider (and did on my own) regreasing the bearings.

The water pump removal/installation is much easier to do with the engine mount removed. There's one bolt in particular that will grant you much easier access with the mount removed.

Skip the thermostat? Please... just do it while you're down there. I just had a "good" conversation with my adult daugher about her not replacing the thermostat when her car began overheating. Good, not good. She ****************ed up (Ruined. Kaput)her entire engine over a $20 part. Please don't go that route because I don't want to have to read your thread about what happened when you chose to not replace the thermostat. Just. Do. It.
Ok. Thermostat it is.
BTW, do you have any recommendation on grease product? I need to buy.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:42 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang View Post
Ok. Thermostat it is.
BTW, do you have any recommendation on grease product? I need to buy.
I forget which brand I used... top tier for sure... and hi-temp.

Remove the pulley and on the reverse is a round seal... plastic. Easy to remove. Clean out the existing grease (I used carb cleaner) and then pack in as much as will fit. Return the seal... reinstall the pulley. A little messy... slightly time consuming... but a nice preventive maintenance.

The tensioner pulley is just a little more challenging for there is a nut that needs to be removed... and it sits behind a little shroud. You'll see it when you get in there. Take your time... don't strip the nut.

Good luck with all the projects. You'll have a nice baseline upon which you can schedule future preventive maintenance. Also... peace of mind.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:47 AM   #7
FoFoJoe

Garage
I had my water pump replaced at around 119k miles and at the time I had the pump, gasket and coolant replaced. I have a spare expansion tank for when mine goes kaput, but the system was pressure tested and the old tank is still holding just fine.

I can't remember if I had the thermostat replaced.. but if it wasn't the current one is around 5 years old.

Mike out of curiosity what are the symptoms that led to you replacing the water pump? Mine got a small leak on the surface where the pump mounts and was dripping pretty bad. I only noticed when my overheating/coolant light on the dash was blinking on a cold start. Then I saw the puddle..
- FunctionFirst shift knob/short shift kit
- Focal speakers/Alpine amp/Kenwood deck/Pioneer 8" subs
FoFoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
What he said... and...

Man...been there done that! One of my step sons warped a head on his first car, a very well cared for and clean Eclipse over a faulty radiator cap. The car would blow off the lower radiator hose. I had diagnosed the issue for him and I(trying to teach responsibility) told him to go the the auto parts store and purchase a new $10 radiator cap and he'd be good to go. Anyway, when the car would no longer run and was towed to a shop. It was diagnosed and needing a $800 head gasket job. He and his father thought it would be fair for me to pay my share as the Dad had actually purchased the car for his son. After much discussion, I gave them $10 toward the radiator cap that would have solved the issue.

The boy is a man now and is very responsible and takes good care of his car and boat so I guess it all worked out! Tough lessons learned!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoFoJoe View Post
I had my water pump replaced at around 119k miles and at the time I had the pump, gasket and coolant replaced. I have a spare expansion tank for when mine goes kaput, but the system was pressure tested and the old tank is still holding just fine.

I can't remember if I had the thermostat replaced.. but if it wasn't the current one is around 5 years old.

Mike out of curiosity what are the symptoms that led to you replacing the water pump? Mine got a small leak on the surface where the pump mounts and was dripping pretty bad. I only noticed when my overheating/coolant light on the dash was blinking on a cold start. Then I saw the puddle..
I had been driving for an hour when I noticed the red blinking coolant light.
Since I was only 1/4 mile away from home, I drove home. When I checked the car in the driveway, there were "steam" coming out from both vents. I put the car in the garage and saw a trail of coolant so I placed a cardboard under the car.

The current state.
1. The coolant tank is empty.
2. The cardboard has only a few drops. Nothing significant.
3. Bought a Radiator Pressure Leakage Tester but can't build up pressure.
4. Removed the under cover and saw coolant.
5. Nothing obvious wrong with WP or the hoses.
6. Started the car to see if there were any leaks. No leaks. (The rear was up when I did this so maybe what coolant left was moved to the front of the car?)

Next, I am now going to fill the coolant tank, distilled water?, and see if there is any leakage.

Wish me luck!
Old 03-23-2022, 07:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Man...been there done that! One of my step sons warped a head on his first car, a very well cared for and clean Eclipse over a faulty radiator cap. The car would blow off the lower radiator hose. I had diagnosed the issue for him and I(trying to teach responsibility) told him to go the the auto parts store and purchase a new $10 radiator cap and he'd be good to go. Anyway, when the car would no longer run and was towed to a shop. It was diagnosed and needing a $800 head gasket job. He and his father thought it would be fair for me to pay my share as the Dad had actually purchased the car for his son. After much discussion, I gave them $10 toward the radiator cap that would have solved the issue.

The boy is a man now and is very responsible and takes good care of his car and boat so I guess it all worked out! Tough lessons learned!
What a story!
Old 03-23-2022, 07:21 AM   #11

A general question to the geniuses here.

Say WP's seal is bad and leaking and the thermostat is working fine.
If I add the coolant to normal level, will I see the WP leak when the engine is cold (thermostat closed)?
Old 03-23-2022, 08:17 AM   #12

Your flashing light and coolant dump may not have been from the water pump but from the expansion tank. Check your coolant level and don't overfill...you may be fine for now. I did the WP on my 2000 Box at a similar mileage. I had no dash lights, just a bit of coolant on the floor of my garage. It's sometimes hard to pin point the source of the leak due to the under body panels deflecting the coolant before it hits the ground. You can alway pull the panel behind your seats and run your car to see any signs of leakage from the pump (what I did). In my case, I had a very small leak creating almost a mist as opposed to a drip. Yes, I did the thermostat at the same time!

Given your mileage, you are certainly a candidate for a new water pump as a preventative measure and yes, do the thermostat at the same time as its took easy (and cheap) to come back and do later, especially when you lose Porsche magic coolant at $30/gallon!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Your flashing light and coolant dump may not have been from the water pump but from the expansion tank. Check your coolant level and don't overfill...you may be fine for now. I did the WP on my 2000 Box at a similar mileage. I had no dash lights, just a bit of coolant on the floor of my garage. It's sometimes hard to pin point the source of the leak due to the under body panels deflecting the coolant before it hits the ground. You can alway pull the panel behind your seats and run your car to see any signs of leakage from the pump (what I did). In my case, I had a very small leak creating almost a mist as opposed to a drip. Yes, I did the thermostat at the same time!

Given your mileage, you are certainly a candidate for a new water pump as a preventative measure and yes, do the thermostat at the same time as its took easy (and cheap) to come back and do later, especially when you lose Porsche magic coolant at $30/gallon!
The coolant tank was replaced some years back. While it can't be ruled out, I don't it is that. My trunk is too dry. And that STEAM! I wife thought the car was on fire when I pulled in the garage. The leak is near the engine, I think. Maybe I have misting situation like you did. I hope!

The removing the panel is an excellent idea! I will do that.

Wait! $30/gallon? Where?
I will need some to test and gallons to refill once the job is done.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:35 PM   #14

There's a heater control valve just forward of the coolant tank that could have blown.
When mine went out it dumped the coolant out of the tank wicked fast.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
There's a heater control valve just forward of the coolant tank that could have blown.
Thanks for bringing this up.

Last edited by mikehkang; 03-23-2022 at 07:14 PM.
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:03 PM   #16

UPDATE...

A coolant hose going to a cooler/heat exchange(?) had worn out. There is a small puddle of coolant on top of the engine which I will take care of when I replace the hose. Too much excitement for the day. LOL

BTW, if anyone knows the part number for the hose, please post. Thank you.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
Belzy,
What year is your car?
You helped me figure out my problem was actually a ruptured hose. However, I was not able to find a heater control valve on my 2001 base near the coolant tank.

I've got this pic off the ebay. Is yours any different?