Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2021, 05:02 PM   #1

Lowering a 986

Considering lowering my ‘97 by an inch. I know H&R springs are available. Anyone have any tips or pics from what they did.

97gtaboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:17 AM   #2

Garage
Bilstein B6 & H&R
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:11 AM   #3

Bilstein B12 kit, Eibach springs and B6 struts.

Nice set up

David
Luckyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:40 AM   #4

Garage
Maybe they should make this a sticky.

Bilstein B4 - Replacement struts for non sport suspension. There's a few B4 variations depending on the vehicles manufacturer, but these are all intended to replace the standard struts fitted when the car was new WITHOUT THE SPORT SUSPENSION.

Bilstein B6 - A non adjustable sport strut . The B6 struts are designed for someone that wants a sporty ride without lowering the car or changing the original springs.

Bilstein B8 - Just like the B6 struts but shorter. These are only to be used with lowering springs or for vehicles with the factory sports suspension. They are shorter to ensure the all important coil spring pre load as lowering springs are shorter than OE springs.

Bilstein B12 Sportline - Contains 4 x Bilstein B8 struts and Eibach Sportline lowering springs. This kit is non adjustable with typical lowering of up to 50mm and are a much harsher ride than the B12 Pro-Kit.

Bilstein B12 Pro-kit - Contains 4 x Bilstein B8 struts and Eibach Pro kit lowering springs. Typical lowering 30-40mm to give the perfect balance between looks and performance. This kit is also non adjustable.

Bilstein B14 (PSS) - A height adjustable coil over kit with lowering between 30-50mm front and rear to fine tune your look.

Bilstein B16 (PSS10) - A fully adjustable coil over kit. Lowering up to 30-50mm and 10 pressure adjustments. This kit allows quick and easy parallel adjustment of bump and rebound with a twist of a dial. Flexibility for road use or track.

Bilstein ClubSport - The ultimate kit. Complete flexibility allowing 100 setting variations. You can easily adjust the bump and rebound separately to fine tune your kit to any track.
This kit can be used on the road but is better suited for the track.
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #5

Blistein B8, H&R red spring (2” lowered), RSS bump steer tie rods and adjustable rear toe arms, stock front/ non-S M030 rear sway bars. Great for aggressive street driving with reasonable ride on rough Michigan pavement with 17” wheels. Key is to get wheel alignment dialed, I needed adjustable arms to get zero toe angle in back, huge difference.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #6
ecp

I went with b6s and blue H&r springs. Dropped it the perfect amount imo. Way more aggressive looking without looking obnoxious. I won’t lie, it’s very stiff at first. After about 300 miles or so everything felt like it settled in nicely (I did all my suspension). The ride is stiff but not unbearable. The handling is fantastic though. It just grips and keeps gripping no matter what you throw at it. Curious to see how the b8s would compare to the b6s on the H&Rs
ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecp View Post
I went with b6s and blue H&R springs. D
ECP, a set of H&R sway bars will be a nice compliment to your new springs :-)

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote