Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2021, 07:41 AM   #1

Garage
Need Advice

Looking for recommendations. I have a 2000 Boxster with 153K miles and I've recently blown a head gasket. The body is in good condition and the interior is in fair condition. Is it worth fixing or should I try and sell it? How much would you think it's worth?

PCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:00 AM   #2

If you actually have a blown head gasket, it would be the first. The head gaskets in these engines are steel, and actually stronger than the block or heads. So your problem is probably worse than you think.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it. What else do you think it could be? It's blowing a ton of white smoke and the oil has a chocolate milk look to it. Also, if it were the head gasket, how much do you think it would cost to fix?
PCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:35 AM   #4

That is called "intermix", which results from the failure of one of three components: the oil cooler (w water to oil system), one of the heads cracked, or the block has failed.

If it is the cooler, the test and fix is simple and cheap, maybe a couple hundred dollars; if it is the head or block, the cost goes up exponentially, and it would be cheaper to source a cheaper used engine.