Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
Old Car Guy

Headlight weatherstripping

I am installing LED headlights and the weatherstripping they came with and the instructions show the gasket around the top of the light and down the outboard side, leaving the bottom open.
Won’t this suck in water?

Also I found a stainless cable with a loop on the end taped to the side against the front trunk. Any idea what this is?

Many thanks in advance

Ray in Ellenville

Last edited by vetman; 09-23-2021 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Signature
vetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #2

I don't know about those LED headlights, but the weatherstripping on the OEM headlights runs all the way around the sides and top of the headlight, only where the headlight butts against the steel fender. It doesn't run against the bottom of the headlight where it meets the bumper cover. The cable you are seeing is the emergency release cable for the front trunk latch. The stock location for that wire is inside the plastic inner fender liner. Some people re-route it so that it is accessible through the tow hook cover in the front bumper.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:48 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

You pull on that front cable to adjust the front emergency brakes. You should be able to pull the cable to at leqast 1 foot away from the bumper (be sure to measure the distance). Keep pulling until it has reached 1 foot. You'll then know it's been properly adjusted.

The bottom of the headlight trim is mising because that is for the weep-hole for the blinker fluid overflow.

Keep those questions coming!!
Old 09-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
Old Car Guy

Thanks. I'll put bleeding the blinkers on my maintenance list.
It seemed odd to have the emergency release inside the light mounting space since it has to be accessed from the front trunk.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:07 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetman View Post
Thanks. I'll put bleeding the blinkers on my maintenance list.
It seemed odd to have the emergency release inside the light mounting space since it has to be accessed from the front trunk.
That's true. I moved mine down to the vent (?) for the radiator. You can put it wherever it works for you. If you can't get into the frunk... that cable does you no good if it's in the frunk.

Make sure you get the OEM blinker fluid. Look for the P on the can.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:42 AM   #6

Ha! Believe it or not my Boxster's right front side marker light was half full of water when I bought it. The weep hole must have been plugged or maybe the PO used the wrong grade of blinker fluid...

Cheers - dj

Last edited by A 986 S; 09-25-2021 at 04:57 AM.
A 986 S is offline   Reply With Quote