Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #1

Remove power seats

I have an 02 S with power seats. There are 3 buttons on each side. I never change them so I don't really know what they do. I set it once and forgot. I'm done growing and the only one that drives it. I bought the L-seats covers. I am going to have an upolstery shop replace them. They are not a Porsche shop. I am afraid if I have them pull the seats out I will end up with the air bag light. I was thinking of pulling the seats myself and just bringing them the seat or seats. That would also eliminate the need to find a ride etc. Anyone care to coach me on how to remove and replace the seats without triggering the dreaded air bag light.

MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #2

Dennis Vogel: Projects - Boxster Heated Seats

Check this web page (see Section II -Disassembly) for instructions on removing the seats. The only additional guidance I have to add is:

1. You should remove the seat retaining bolts before you disconnect the battery. This will allow you to move the seats back and forth to access the bolts.

2. If Dennis doesn't mention it, you should open the top. (Obviously, you will then need to store the car inside or cover it well until you can reinstall your seats and reconnect the battery.)

3. You can remove the seats yourself, but if you can find a helper that may prevent a back strain.

Good luck
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:02 PM   #3

Also, put some old blankets or towels over the door sill and center console. The seat rails have somewhat sharp corners at the back ends and they also have round protrusions on the bottom to locate them in holes on the floor. When you jostle the seat around to get it out, you can scratch the sills or damage the console, the towels or blankets will protect them. Make sure the battery is disconnected before you disconnect the plugs under the seats, and don't reconnect the battery again until the wires under the seats are reconnected.

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote