Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2021, 12:38 PM   #1

Does anyone on here have a Supercharger kit on a 986?

I was just curious what you all are using for management?

Johnny 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #2

Boxster Supercharger?
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:49 PM   #3

and here:
Supercharger Installation!
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #4

Yea I read those postings sucks that one with the installation pictures are gone. Those are so old as well so doubt they are still on as I tried to message them with no success
Old 07-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #5

Yeah, it loses a lot without the pics. He (ohioboxster) had the process pretty well documented.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:49 PM   #6

I don't know about the tps supercharger setup, but their turbocharger kit uses a flash to the stock ecu. There aren't any great options for aftermarket ecu systems to run on this car unless you're gonna piggy back one and then you're gonna have to start from scratch with the setup. If you're running boost, just keep the stock ecu, upgrade the intake and use a 996 flash, and then use a standalone boost controller. This is obviously easiest with a turbo setup, but you can rig a solenoid-controlled BOV to limit your boost to 5-6 psi on a SC application, which is what the tps systems ran without issue.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2021, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Yeah, it loses a lot without the pics. He (ohioboxster) had the process pretty well documented.
Yea was really hoping to touch base with him but no luck. There were a few others who did a supercharger on some threads as well but was unable to get a hold of them either. Figured that was the case considering how long ago the postings were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I don't know about the tps supercharger setup, but their turbocharger kit uses a flash to the stock ecu. There aren't any great options for aftermarket ecu systems to run on this car unless you're gonna piggy back one and then you're gonna have to start from scratch with the setup. If you're running boost, just keep the stock ecu, upgrade the intake and use a 996 flash, and then use a standalone boost controller. This is obviously easiest with a turbo setup, but you can rig a solenoid-controlled BOV to limit your boost to 5-6 psi on a SC application, which is what the tps systems ran without issue.

I shouldn't have but did stumbled upon a TPS Supercharger kit and picked it up. Seems to have everything other then the actual fuel controller. TPS didnt really help much but if I remember reading somewhere they used Unichip for the Fuel controller and thats it. No timing or anything other then additional fuel from the 7th injector. Its only boosting 5lbs so they stated fuel controller is all I need and I should be good.

I found a few controllers like the Perfect Power, Split Sec and Unichip who stated they can work.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny 5 View Post
Yea was really hoping to touch base with him but no luck. There were a few others who did a supercharger on some threads as well but was unable to get a hold of them either. Figured that was the case considering how long ago the postings were.

I shouldn't have but did stumbled upon a TPS Supercharger kit and picked it up. Seems to have everything other then the actual fuel controller. TPS didnt really help much but if I remember reading somewhere they used Unichip for the Fuel controller and thats it. No timing or anything other then additional fuel from the 7th injector. Its only boosting 5lbs so they stated fuel controller is all I need and I should be good.

I found a few controllers like the Perfect Power, Split Sec and Unichip who stated they can work.
You are correct, TPS uses Unichip for their tuning. A memeber on here installed a unichip for fueling adjustments (I think it was j fro?) so you can check out his threads.

If you install the intake piping from the SC before the MAF, the MAF should be able to measure your air and make fuel corrections accordingly. Thats why I said to use a 996 tune - (note that I havent verified this yet but it makes sense to me) low boost is going to move enough air that it will be close to the ballpark for what a 3.2NA will move, and the computer doesnt care what the actual displacement for the motor is or NA vs FI, it just sees air movement and feeds it fuel accordingly. You may be able to get away with using the stock 986 tune but I would be concerned that you will reach your enrichment limit and run lean. The other upside of using a 996 tune is that if you are running near stoich in closed loop and having detonation issues, you should be able to disconnect the MAF which will kick the car into open loop operation which will enrichen your mixture.

Out of curiosity, where the hell did you find a TPS SC kit? They are ancient - before you put all the work into it, you may want to have a good mechanic check it out to make sure that all is well with the system. Those things have to be oiled, and I would be concerned that if its been sitting for a long time you may have some bearing issues.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:02 PM   #9

Quote:
You are correct, TPS uses Unichip for their tuning. A memeber on here installed a unichip for fueling adjustments (I think it was j fro?) so you can check out his threads.

If you install the intake piping from the SC before the MAF, the MAF should be able to measure your air and make fuel corrections accordingly. Thats why I said to use a 996 tune - (note that I havent verified this yet but it makes sense to me) low boost is going to move enough air that it will be close to the ballpark for what a 3.2NA will move, and the computer doesnt care what the actual displacement for the motor is or NA vs FI, it just sees air movement and feeds it fuel accordingly. You may be able to get away with using the stock 986 tune but I would be concerned that you will reach your enrichment limit and run lean. The other upside of using a 996 tune is that if you are running near stoich in closed loop and having detonation issues, you should be able to disconnect the MAF which will kick the car into open loop operation which will enrichen your mixture.

Out of curiosity, where the hell did you find a TPS SC kit? They are ancient - before you put all the work into it, you may want to have a good mechanic check it out to make sure that all is well with the system. Those things have to be oiled, and I would be concerned that if its been sitting for a long time you may have some bearing issues.
Only problem with 996 tune is that I live in Cali with the hardup emission laws so not sure how that will fly. Technically having a charger on there wont pass visual but most smog stations wont even bother opening up the rear as its to much work. As long as they see it as a 1999 on the DME and fuel and everything is stock i should be fine. MAF would have to be before the charging pipe closer to the air filter but I see what you are stating. Plus the advantage of the 7th is it will help cool the charge a bit. Im still going to fabricate a air to water on it. Just trying not to mess with the actual DME if I dont have too. The AIC will pretty much kick on at boost.

Ive always looked around for one expecting that I would never find one. I really didnt want to throw it on as its more money Ill be throwing at this which I really didnt want too but having another supercharge vehicle that isnt daily driven anymore I sort of want to have a daily with a little fun!

Anyways I have a friend of a friend who had one just sitting which he was going to put on but ended up putting more money and time into his 80's 911 knew I had a boxster Im trying to get running and asked if I wanted it. So me being me said sure why not! lol

Im going to probably tear it down and rebuild it depending on the feel of it. The least Ill do is put new oil in it. Cant be to hard to tear down as Ive rebuilt a few Vortech Chargers but will see.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Yeah, looks like he's not even checked in here for a couple of years. He used to be an absolute regular.

After he did the supercharger thread, I got a hold of him via PM. I was curious, especially since he was from the Akron area and, starting in 1997, I was too. We chatted, and made vague noises about getting together so I could take a ride in this newly created beast of his. But the timing was never right, it never seemed to pan out, and, not long after his well-documented 986forum SC thread, he ended up selling it and getting (IIRC) a 911 Turbo. Which he also told me I could get a ride in at some point. Which, naturally, also seemed to fall through the cracks.

Anyway, I have no idea if he even lives around here anymore. I'd be curious one way or the other. To include being curious as to what he's driving these days.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Yeah, looks like he's not even checked in here for a couple of years. He used to be an absolute regular.

After he did the supercharger thread, I got a hold of him via PM. I was curious, especially since he was from the Akron area and, starting in 1997, I was too. We chatted, and made vague noises about getting together so I could take a ride in this newly created beast of his. But the timing was never right, it never seemed to pan out, and, not long after his well-documented 986forum SC thread, he ended up selling it and getting (IIRC) a 911 Turbo. Which he also told me I could get a ride in at some point. Which, naturally, also seemed to fall through the cracks.

Anyway, I have no idea if he even lives around here anymore. I'd be curious one way or the other. To include being curious as to what he's driving these days.
Its sort of scary actually! Every thread I read they had a few people who did the kit or was in the process and after a few years of doing it or scratching that off the table just disappeared! I get it...its been years since they did it or was thinking of it so probably moved onto better things but I thought they would be around to give others who want to do this some feedback. I get these motors are high compression and dont like heat! Not going to lie a bit nervous as I dont really know these motors that well but I think I can do it following the same fundimentals like any other car. Just got to figure out my fuel route and everything else should fall into place. Wishful thinking.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #12

Soundd like you know what you're doing so best of luck with the project. Let us know how it turns out!

Speaking of the Cali CARB stuff, I'm sure you've already heard but they just changed the laws to exclude ALL non-oem tunes that aren't specifically CARB approved. I would be really careful about trying to sneak a piggyback like unichip past them. Fortunately live in a state that doesn't give 2 ****************s about the environment, thank God I'm a country boy!

If you have any questions about the 996 tuning, I'm happy to help. I'm not very useful with the other stuff though.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:08 PM   #13

Quote:
I was just curious what you all are using for management?
I've got an M90 on my 986... I feed it with a 600 CFM Edelbrock, and the spark comes from an MSD 6AL box. LOL

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
I've got an M90 on my 986... I feed it with a 600 CFM Edelbrock, and the spark comes from an MSD 6AL box. LOL
Don't forget the"full retard" timing box.

Btw, how's the nox working out?

Old 07-23-2021, 06:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Soundd like you know what you're doing so best of luck with the project. Let us know how it turns out!

Speaking of the Cali CARB stuff, I'm sure you've already heard but they just changed the laws to exclude ALL non-oem tunes that aren't specifically CARB approved. I would be really careful about trying to sneak a piggyback like unichip past them. Fortunately live in a state that doesn't give 2 ****************s about the environment, thank God I'm a country boy!

If you have any questions about the 996 tuning, I'm happy to help. I'm not very useful with the other stuff though.

Won’t say I got it handled till it’s actually in the car running lol 😂

Damn it that’s right! **************** I wonder if it will detect it as it’s just controlling a 7th injector and nothing more? Going to have to see if the M3 passes as it’s using a programmable chip on the DME. Had no issues with smog prior and passed with flying colors but now you got me concerned. I got headers and exhaust waiting to go on the 986 as well and most likely won’t pass visual but wonder how much the plugin is going to detect. Anyone in here in Cali have more knowledge on Cali smog!?!

Thanks and I’ll keep you in mind if I end up going that route
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Yes another force induction 986. How’s it running? Are you running full replaced injectors or an additional injector setup? How much boost are you pushing?
Old 07-23-2021, 07:07 PM   #17

Don't let him fool you, that setup is on a Chevy small block v6 that he swapped in.

Cali is going all out with the new regulations. It's all over the interwebs, just check it out. They are no longer just doing emissions readiness and sniff tests - it's a full blown ecu interrogation It's a big enough deal that Honda has gone through the process of getting some of the hondata flashes CARB compliant so that the ricers well have something to work with. I think it's gonna leave a lot of people SOL though (your m3 included most likely)

Old 07-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Don't let him fool you, that setup is on a Chevy small block v6 that he swapped in.

Cali is going all out with the new regulations. It's all over the interwebs, just check it out. They are no longer just doing emissions readiness and sniff tests - it's a full blown ecu interrogation It's a big enough deal that Honda has gone through the process of getting some of the hondata flashes CARB compliant so that the ricers well have something to work with. I think it's gonna leave a lot of people SOL though (your m3 included most likely)

Lol ok that explains the edelbrock and msd. Damn that thing must be pretty quick.

Cali has always been pretty bad but they are taking this to a whole new level!
Old 07-24-2021, 03:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
Lol ok that explains the edelbrock and msd. Damn that thing must be pretty quick.

Cali has always been pretty bad but they are taking this to a whole new level!
California government says "we burn coal only; no gasoline cars here". LOL

Not as fast as you'd think. About 10psi.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #20

Just register the car to a mail forwarding address in another state or county with no emissions.

beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote