Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

Garage
What is this little box i found...

I purchased a 2001 Boxster S with a blown engine. I sourced a used engine and swapped it out. Car runs great. I went to instal a new radio last week and when i took the old radio out i found a little box with a transmitter that say Flat Six Innovations, Red Line, Raby Engine Development. I found there website but cant find anything about this box or what it does. Ive left two messages for the company and no one has returned my call. Does anyone know what this box does?

scottweins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:42 PM   #2

What is it wired to? Follow that big gray cable?

Doubt it is anything with the radio cause they focus on engine performance.

Suspect it is part of an engine mgt system, which means the engine that was in the car is most likely also an engine they built. Be interesting to know what happened to the engine.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)

Last edited by Stl-986; 07-07-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:24 PM   #3

I am only speculating but probably some kind of over rev limiter or defeat/override.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:47 PM   #4
1999 base

Garage
I can’t remember how flat6 called it, but I think this is a device that supposed to detect and alert of metal particles in the oil.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #5

IMS Guardian system.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
JDMsurprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:15 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMsurprise View Post
IMS Guardian system.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
yes!!! thats exactly it.
scottweins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:38 PM   #7

Makes sense. The round part must be a speaker/buzzer
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:07 AM   #8
PLP

Uhm... does it really work?

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:43 AM   #9

Yup, it sounds an alarm, telling you that your engine is now full of metal and in need of a complete rebuild; but your IMS has not yet crapped out, but is also on its deathbed........................
Old 07-08-2021, 07:19 AM   #10
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I had an IMS Guardian on mine for one year. The plug portion leaked from the middle where the wires came out. Flat 6 provided a new plug and it also only lasted a year before also leaking. I replaced it with a standard plug and disconnected the electrical portion about 2 years ago. Just yesterday I removed all the electric parts from in the dash and put back the switch blank.

Flat 6 discontinued the Guardian without any fanfare since I think the thing never worked the way it should. Good idea, bad product.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Yup, it sounds an alarm, telling you that your engine is now full of metal and in need of a complete rebuild; but your IMS has not yet crapped out, but is also on its deathbed........................
Sound like PHS would be a more apropos name... Porsche Hospice Service

Now you're out a motor plus ~ 5 shackles for the PHS device.

What a bargain LOL
Old 07-08-2021, 07:46 AM   #12

The concept for this product always eluded me; in an aircraft, where the idea originally came from, I can understand why you would want it: Get the plane safely on the ground before the engine suffers a catastrophic failure. In a car, it was little more than an audio version of an idiot light telling you that you now need a new engine; "Please pull to the side of the road, your engine is now dead"..............
Old 07-08-2021, 08:29 AM   #13
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottweins View Post
I purchased a 2001 Boxster S with a blown engine. ...
Well, at least the previous owner actually got some use out of the box.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
The concept for this product always eluded me; in an aircraft, where the idea originally came from, I can understand why you would want it: Get the plane safely on the ground before the engine suffers a catastrophic failure. In a car, it was little more than an audio version of an idiot light telling you that you now need a new engine; "Please pull to the side of the road, your engine is now dead"..............
It`s hard to believe that by the time this thing starts signaling the presence of the metal debris in the sump there is no audible sign of the IMS grinding the bore in the crankcase...
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
It`s hard to believe that by the time this thing starts signaling the presence of the metal debris in the sump there is no audible sign of the IMS grinding the bore in the crankcase...
Actually, IMS failures remain "the silent death" right up to the moment that the engine jumps time and pistons start hitting valves. We have seen an absolute ton of metal in the oil of cars that were in for regular oil change service and still running just fine. When you pull the sump cover, there is metal everywhere, so the engine is done at that point, and then I usually had to make a difficult phone call to the owner, who was totally unsuspecting.

And the IMS bearing does not tear up the engine case, it is totally inside the IMS shaft.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:04 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Actually, IMS failures remain "the silent death" right up to the moment that the engine jumps time and pistons start hitting valves. We have seen an absolute ton of metal in the oil of cars that were in for regular oil change service and still running just fine. When you pull the sump cover, there is metal everywhere, so the engine is done at that point, and then I usually had to make a difficult phone call to the owner, who was totally unsuspecting.

And the IMS bearing does not tear up the engine case, it is totally inside the IMS shaft.
Sounds awful. :ah:
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #17

Old 07-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #18

I had originally envisioned a cam shaft deviation, fluctuation monitor and threshold to specifically target the IMS bearing. Dancing deviations beyond a certain threshold giving an appropriate alarm. I am not sure whether this (ims bearing instability) could be sensed at a reasonably advanced time (before chips get on a detector).

Mr. Raby shot down this idea at the time......my memory fails me at to why
Old 07-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I had originally envisioned a cam shaft deviation, fluctuation monitor and threshold to specifically target the IMS bearing. Dancing deviations beyond a certain threshold giving an appropriate alarm. I am not sure whether this (ims bearing instability) could be sensed at a reasonably advanced time (before chips get on a detector).

Mr. Raby shot down this idea at the time......my memory fails me at to why
Take a ride in your car once fully warmed up with the Durametric system monitoring cam deviation values any you will have the answer to your question. With the valve timing system active, the deviation values jump all over the place, depending upon what the car is doing at the time; so a system that alarms when a certain deviation value is hit would be doing one of two things: Alarming every 15 seconds if it is set too low, never going off if it is set too high. It would also be comparatively expensive, as it would require something with computational capabilities to even work.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Take a ride in your car once fully warmed up with the Durametric system monitoring cam deviation values any you will have the answer to your question. With the valve timing system active, the deviation values jump all over the place, depending upon what the car is doing at the time; so a system that alarms when a certain deviation value is hit would be doing one of two things: Alarming every 15 seconds if it is set too low, never going off if it is set too high. It would also be comparatively expensive, as it would require something with computational capabilities to even work.
True, I don't doubt this at all. I think I have done this. I think I posted something here regarding engine temp and deviation readings here many years ago. I was specifically referring to fluctuation rate not deviation itself. So in other words we could see deviation changes all over the place for various engine states and temperatures but if there is an undue fluctuation or let say vibration at a certain deviation then its time to shut her down.

So we have moved from +2 to +5 degrees according to what has been observed M96 behaviour> no alarm

A fine lets say "high frequency" fluctuation at +5 constant engine state> alarm.

Whether this feasible is another question.