Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
8 yr payments and repair costs to. Tires, oil, gas, insurance ..........

Be very careful!!!!!!!!!!
Sure, but really not very different than the Box - also out of warranty, and hell I'm spending $2400 or so on the clutch and intermediate shaft seal replacement right now as it is. That's not even at the dealer, which would easily have been another $1000-$1500 just in labor costs. Tires, gas, oil, and insurance would be right around the same amount I pay now, I would venture to say.

But that raw, primitive noise is what I love about a car like an old Porsche or old VW. It would still be worth it to me. I love to ride in my friend's '86 Carrera and hear that engine going behind you....

chiefsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #22

Smile

"it felt extremely nuetral and stable"

It only felt that way because it had less power than the Lance Armstrong. When the real power comes on, the problems begin.

The 911 is a great story on how to mask/triumph over what is a terrible fundamental design from a handling perspective.

Now, the old VW was very good in snow, but not much fun on a windy day. "Hey, what lane was I in anyway?"

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #23
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsalami
Sure, but really not very different than the Box - also out of warranty, and hell I'm spending $2400 or so on the clutch and intermediate shaft seal replacement right now as it is. That's not even at the dealer, which would easily have been another $1000-$1500 just in labor costs. Tires, gas, oil, and insurance would be right around the same amount I pay now, I would venture to say.

But that raw, primitive noise is what I love about a car like an old Porsche or old VW. It would still be worth it to me. I love to ride in my friend's '86 Carrera and hear that engine going behind you....
1978 911SC is one of the best 911s I've driven. RAW RAW RAW!
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Have you been sniffing too many car cleaner fumes? A VW sounding like a 911???

BTW - I drove my GF's new Beetle (wanted to see what her car can do on a track, not to mention I've never driven a FWD at an AX before) at an autocross a couple weekends ago and if that's what a 911 sounds like than they have problems...

BTW2 - I actually trophied with her car, granted it was 12th out of 30 something, but I can't believe I trophied with a 4 banger automatic VW Beetle on one of the higher speed AX's I've been to this season (maybe I shouldn't talk about this with such pride as someone may question my manhood...).
Sammy,

You are such an amazing driver you would probably kick butt in a Pinto !

The sad thing is, you would have probably smoked my Box with your GF's bug

Hopefully next year with your expert instruction my times will improve...

( and if I don't keep missing that freakin' second slalom )

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsalami
I hope this type of question is allowed here, but I'm considering going from my 2002 Boxster S to a 1996 911 4S. I've always loved the 993 Carreras, and having an AWD one would be great, especially having been spoiled a bit by my supercharged R32 and the stability of the Box. There is one in my area that has been on sale for a while, and had multiple unsuccessful listings, and I'm wondering what is a fair price for the car. They are asking $55k, and according to edmunds and kbb it should be around $40k. For you guys in the know, please give me some insight. Obviously, I know this is one of the rarest and sought-after air-cooled 911s, but what should I offer to pay for it? Here is a link to the most recent auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170046223253&rd=1,1 . There have been no bids in the previous auctions for $40k or more - I think the highest I've seen was $38k.

I would then need to sell my 2002 S (red, black, black) which is kind of tough in the NW because of the color and weather.
What has become of you? Here you are driving a car that most reviewers says is a must drive before you die and others have described as better handling than a 911 and you have wanderlust!!

I feel your pain- I don't own any P-car but I am on the hunt and recently (like 24 hrs. ago) drove a 993 and have totally had my hunt dislodged. So here I am getting sucked into the Church of 993 with all that goes with it: visceral, last of the great ones, the true Porsche, not a wannabee- and the rest.

In the last two weeks completed sales are all over the place on ebay- the lowest I could find for c4s was 29K and the highest was 80+k for turbo. I think Edmunds is only a rough guide (very rough) for this kind of vehicle (good for a smart looking used Camry though!). Again this price seems good (of course you are not going to tell them that) if it is a one owner car not bought at auction with all service records and no accidents AND you will do your own PPI. After all that you need to add on the possibility of engine failure (not just with the P-cars but with any car). I think the engine replacement is something like 7-14K. Again just my conservative head.

Which leads me to this-why would you and I pay this for a car when we can get a 06 used Boxster S or Cayman S (minimal options) for about the same amount? Particularly when everyone is saying that THOSE cars are a throwback to the great days of P-car driving and , as one reviewer said of the new Boxster, an "out of body experience with telepathic steering and handling."

Reason- totally irrational and emotional. As one person said, you got to love it.

pale rider is offline   Reply With Quote