Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwfan
I am about to store my car for the winter, but don't think I will get a chance to change the oil. Would it make sense to take the car out every once in a while for a drive if the oil isn't changed?
The consensus is that you're better off preparing it for storage and not driving it at all. Cold starts and running the engine cold are most damaging and should be minimized. I see no reason that this should be different when the oil is not changed.

Z.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #22
bmussatti

Here is the link you want to read, study and internalize. You will be tested next Friday after recess!! :dance:

Winter Storage
Old 12-01-2006, 11:00 AM   #23

Thanks for the responses. My next question would be should I change the oil come spring 2007 or wait until after the driving season is over next year?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:05 AM   #24
bmussatti

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. My next question would be should I change the oil come spring 2007 or wait until after the driving season is over next year?
Ecwfan, the link I gave you explaines how the oil should be changed PRIOR to storage!!

How many miles do you have on this oil change??
Old 12-01-2006, 11:45 AM   #25

I know I need to change the oil before storage, but I mentioned that I won't be able to get it done this year. I don't drive the car that many miles, so I assume I should do an annual oil change. Right now there's 10,500 miles on it. If I don't change the oil this year, is it wise to do it in the spring or wait another year until I'm ready to store it again?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #26
bmussatti

Quote:
I know I need to change the oil before storage, but I mentioned that I won't be able to get it done this year. I don't drive the car that many miles, so I assume I should do an annual oil change. Right now there's 10,500 miles on it. If I don't change the oil this year, is it wise to do it in the spring or wait another year until I'm ready to store it again?
If you can't do it now...you can't do it. I understand.

OK, change it in the Spring 2007, first thinng ASAP! Mobil 1 0W40.

Then change again before storage in Fall of 2007. So 2 times next year! Change again every Fall before storage. If you put on...say 7,500 miles before storage, you should change the oil....and again before Winter storage.