Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 06:46 AM   #21
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
I am still in process with the mods on my 2.7L 2000 Boxster. I am currently using a stock muffler with TTP headers and high-flow cats. I suspect the stock muffler is somewhat of a bottleneck for the exhaust gas, so I am going to try sticking on a Dansk Sport muffler in the next couple weeks. I should add that I have also stuck on a TTP intake and chip. The chip is also still in process, as it has not been completely tweeked to the exhaust rig as yet.

Anyway, I am now pretty consistantly getting around 202 hp on the DynoJet dyno which works out to a little over 20 additional hp at the crank, figuring a 15% drive train loss. I think it was racertroy that found he was getting a 17.8% drivetrain loss with his 2000 2.7L Boxster. Assuming a 17.8% drivetrain loss, that would put almost 29 additional HP at the crank. My guess is that with my car with a new muffler and the chip dialed into my setup I will end up getting in the neighborhood of 206-210 or so HP on the dyno, which is pretty close to a 30 hp increase. But don't even ask what all this mod playing around costs, for what by most standards is a very modest increase in HP, but hey, I'm having fun.......

Ed

:dance: :dance: :dance:
How much were you making before the mods? You've gotta have a baseline right?

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:03 AM   #22

Adam:
"Agree, but sometimes the factory purposely holds a car back. The boxster S could've had 280 hp from the get go instead of 250hp but Porsche wanted to bump up the power of the 996 first. The car got a 30 hp bump and they didn't even need to up the displacement. That tells me some of these engines have some untapped potential."

We will never know for sure what went into making those decisions. We can only guess, and that involves risk. Even if the untapped potential was really there, tapping it without the design process employed by the factory (design, test, re-design, test, on the car as a whole etc.) adds another layer of risk. My point was that these risks can be seen as costs and as such they are usually underestimated.

Z.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #23
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Adam:
"Agree, but sometimes the factory purposely holds a car back. The boxster S could've had 280 hp from the get go instead of 250hp but Porsche wanted to bump up the power of the 996 first. The car got a 30 hp bump and they didn't even need to up the displacement. That tells me some of these engines have some untapped potential."

We will never know for sure what went into making those decisions. We can only guess, and that involves risk. Even if the untapped potential was really there, tapping it without the design process employed by the factory (design, test, re-design, test, on the car as a whole etc.) adds another layer of risk. My point was that these risks can be seen as costs and as such they are usually underestimated.

Z.
It's all a marketing decision. The 2.7L went from 217hp in 2000 to 245hp today. Still a 2.7L. Point is, Porsche has to look at the lifecycle of the car, and make it loook like there are upgrades as the car goes from year to year so that buyers will think that they're getting a "newer, more updated version", and are inticed to continue buying the car. They planned incremental upgrades in power from the get go, and thus, it is a marketing issue, not a technological one. If they really wanted to offer 245hp on the 2.7 from the get go, they could've, but then as the years went by, they would have had to up the numbers incrementally as well, and if they did that, it would nip at the heels of the Box S or 911, which is not allowed at Porsche.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:22 AM   #24
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
It's all a marketing decision. The 2.7L went from 217hp in 2000 to 245hp today. Still a 2.7L. Point is, Porsche has to look at the lifecycle of the car, and make it loook like there are upgrades as the car goes from year to year so that buyers will think that they're getting a "newer, more updated version", and are inticed to continue buying the car. They planned incremental upgrades in power from the get go, and thus, it is a marketing issue, not a technological one. If they really wanted to offer 245hp on the 2.7 from the get go, they could've, but then as the years went by, they would have had to up the numbers incrementally as well, and if they did that, it would nip at the heels of the Box S or 911, which is not allowed at Porsche.
That's true, but as time goes on, there are technological improvements to the engines as well. They are just not summed up in the peak power. There are many aspects to the behavior of an engine, if you only look at power, you can end up with something that isn't especially enjoyable.

The 3.4 in the 996 makes the same peak power as the Cayman 3.4. The overall powerband and efficiency of the engine has changed however. There are improvements with time.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote