Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
cartagena

Radio quit, dead, no mas

My crappy radio, the one I planned to change but have not got around to yet, has died. I am two hours from home and will have to cruise back on Saturday in silence. I checked the fuses and they seem ok. D9-D10 seem to be for the radio from what I can tell. The lights no longer work on it or anything. Any suggestions?

Old 11-02-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
bmussatti

Cartagena, your posts get much more play when you post pictures with your "assistants".

Last edited by bmussatti; 11-02-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:58 AM   #3
cartagena

She said, "Papi! Why radio no worky! bmussatti help fix, no?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Cartagena, your posts get much more play when you post pictures with your "assistants".
Old 11-03-2006, 05:42 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
hahaha, that last post was too funny had to comment even though i have no clue whats wrong with z radio
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:21 AM   #5

The radio in my '99 has a 10amp fuse at the back of the radio. My radio stopped working not too long ago and after checking the fuse box I pulled the radio and found that fuse was blown.

Regards,
derb
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
She said, "Papi! Why radio no worky! bmussatti help fix, no?"
Send her up to visit me and I will send you a new radio!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:48 AM   #7
cartagena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Send her up to visit me and I will send you a new radio!
lol...she said she would go to America in a second! Of course visas are almost impossible. But hey, I can provide several personal assistants to people who rent my penthouse: http://www.cartagenapenthouse.com/penttour
Old 11-03-2006, 06:53 AM   #8
cartagena

That is interesting. Does anyone know if the 2006 has the same radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb
The radio in my '99 has a 10amp fuse at the back of the radio. My radio stopped working not too long ago and after checking the fuse box I pulled the radio and found that fuse was blown.

Regards,
derb
Old 11-03-2006, 07:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
lol...she said she would go to America in a second! Of course visas are almost impossible. But hey, I can provide several personal assistants to people who rent my penthouse: http://www.cartagenapenthouse.com/penttour
BTW - How's the weather down there? My girlfriend and I were going to visit her family in Bogota for Christmas (she was born in Columbia, moved to Venezuela and now she's here in the US). Unfortunately, we didn't get our flight tickets in time so the price is outrageous and of course our frequent flyer miles won't work...

If you could tell me how cold it is going to be than that would make me feel better about not visiting???
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:03 AM   #10
1JB

My radio has refused to start when I press the on/off button but will then start if I press the FM or CD button. I have no idea why it does this from time to time.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:54 AM   #11
cartagena

I drove two hours from Cartagena to Santa Marta yesterday and the outside temperature according to the Porsche was 91-93 degrees fahrenheit most of the way. I had the top down with an average speed over 100 mph so it did not feel so hot though. I am at a beach resort now in Santa Marta but have not gone outside yet (it is only 1:47: pm) since I was out inspecting rum all night but it looks hot and sunny. I want to get some photos of my assistant on the beach today with the Porshe but the car is very dirty and I do not know where to clean it. I am sure Bogota is cold though as it is way up in the mountains and rains every day.

BTW, you should be able to fly from Chicago to Bogota for $450 cattle class on Avianca. While there make sure to stop into the only Porsche dealer in Colombia to look at the $110,000 USD boxster S they have on the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
BTW - How's the weather down there? My girlfriend and I were going to visit her family in Bogota for Christmas (she was born in Columbia, moved to Venezuela and now she's here in the US). Unfortunately, we didn't get our flight tickets in time so the price is outrageous and of course our frequent flyer miles won't work...

If you could tell me how cold it is going to be than that would make me feel better about not visiting???

Last edited by cartagena; 11-03-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #12

The CD24 stereo in the 987 is a pile of crap. Don't hesitate to complain to your dealer about it for any little problem!

Pulling fuses has worked for me, I forget which ones though--they're listed on the back of the fuse panel cover though. Remember that fuses don't have to look "blown" in order to actually be malfunctioning though. You might have a blown fuse without even realizing it.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #13

I always keep a fuse checker with the tiny green light that flashes when the fuse is still good. Saved my neck one night when it was raining monsoon like and my wiper fuse blew out.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
whats this fuse checking tool u speak of?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 05:13 AM   #15

Smile

I have a becker unit w. casette if someone needs it.

$75 plus shipping.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #16
cartagena

What is a casette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I have a becker unit w. casette if someone needs it.

$75 plus shipping.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
whats this fuse checking tool u speak of?
its a little plastic piece. when the fuse is plugged into the fusebox you can simply just plug this little plastic piece into the holes in the top of the fuse when its plugged in and it will light up when its fine, and won't light up if its blown. you can pick one up at any autoparts place, usually comes with spare fuses!

comes in handy alot as one time i had a blown fuse and the fuse just barely blew, you couldn't even tell with your eye but when you used the little mechanism it sure told the truth!

03b0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03b0x
its a little plastic piece. when the fuse is plugged into the fusebox you can simply just plug this little plastic piece into the holes in the top of the fuse when its plugged in and it will light up when its fine, and won't light up if its blown. you can pick one up at any autoparts place, usually comes with spare fuses!

comes in handy alot as one time i had a blown fuse and the fuse just barely blew, you couldn't even tell with your eye but when you used the little mechanism it sure told the truth!
Hi,

Yes these things do work and can be handy. But, I don't use one - don't need another tool, especially one which duplicates a tool I already have.

I use the test leads on my multimeter, set for Continuity, using the same test holes on the tops of the fuses. This does the exact same thing except audibly, not visually. If the Fuse is good, I get a Beep, if not, no sound...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote