Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #121

Just got the car back after AOS replacement. Did not replace the RMS. It wasn't showing any fault codes on OBDII. I fired the engine and it struggled to turn over, then white smoke out the exhaust again. Shut it off. Not sure if this is normal behavior after a swap?

Doesn't appear to be dripping oil but I'll check in AM again.

safesaxbdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:21 PM   #122
ecp

Quote:
Originally Posted by safesaxbdd View Post
Just got the car back after AOS replacement. Did not replace the RMS. It wasn't showing any fault codes on OBDII. I fired the engine and it struggled to turn over, then white smoke out the exhaust again. Shut it off. Not sure if this is normal behavior after a swap?

Doesn't appear to be dripping oil but I'll check in AM again.
Also check your oil level if you haven’t. I’d pull the throttle body and plenum and see if you still have pools of oil in your intake runners. If you do, just clean it out as much as you can and see how it runs after that. I doubt the shop took the time to clean up the mess the aos made when it failed, unless you specifically asked them to.

I know it’s frustrating, but if there’s not a leak at the bell housing, and there’s still oil sitting in your intake I’d say that’s still fair game to get it back on the road.
ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #123

Thanks - I will try to clean out the TB/plenum and intake. I did notice a slow leak develop overnight from where the bell housing is, sadly, so may be toast.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #124
ecp

Quote:
Thanks - I will try to clean out the TB/plenum and intake. I did notice a slow leak develop overnight from where the bell housing is, sadly, so may be toast.
I wouldn’t rule out the engine being toast just yet. The rms could have been in it’s way out undetected and the failure just made it worse. I looked at the post jake raby made about the two modes of failures and from everything you’ve described minus the rms, sounds like failure mode 1.

When mine failed it was actually a combination of the two modes he described. It whined really loudly, tons of smoke, ran like junk, no CEL but my seals were okay. I had just replaced the rms two months prior to its failure.

Personally I think it’s well worth pursuing getting that leak fixed and trying to get it back on the road, if you’re inclined to get your hands dirty.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #125

Thanks, ecp. Fingers crossed it's ok. I actually couldn't get the throttle body off - the bolts wouldn't come loose even after I sprayed free-all on them - so tomorrow I'll let another mechanic take a look and see what's what.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:06 AM   #126
ecp

Quote:
Thanks, ecp. Fingers crossed it's ok. I actually couldn't get the throttle body off - the bolts wouldn't come loose even after I sprayed free-all on them - so tomorrow I'll let another mechanic take a look and see what's what.
You can leave the throttle body on the plenum. Just undo the AOS hose that goes onto the plenum, the rubber boots that attach the plenum to the runners and the one bolt that mounts the tb to the engine. It’s better to do it this way so you don’t compromise the seal between the throttle body and plenum and it gives much better access to the intake runners to get the oil out

Tags
cel , misfire