View Single Post
Old 05-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #1
ecp

Unhappy Misfires and flashing CEL

Hello,
this is my first time posting on the forum. i’ve had my boxster (03 S) for about 10 months and i’ve done a lot of maintenance and work on it. it’s been driving really well and hasn’t given me any major issues until today. My tank was just about empty with the fuel light on, so i stopped and filled my tank. i only ever use 93. i pulled out of the gas station and got it up to about 6k until it lost power and had a big backfire out of the exhaust. the car had been up to operating temperature for a good 30 minutes, and i had only stopped for maybe 5 minutes to refuel. i had to have the car towed and it runs awfully. I had 3 codes show, random misfire, misfire on cylinder 2 and misfire on cylinder 1. i disconnected the coil packs on cylinders one, and then two. each time i fired the car up it sounded the same. i replaced the plugs and no change. coil packs were replaced in august, they’re still in excellent condition.

since i’ve owned the car i have done the IMS and chain tensioners so i don’t see how that could be an issue. But then again the sound reminds me of when a spark plug popped out of the head on my old vw bug.

I’m usually good at diagnosing issues on this car but this time i’m truly stumped and i’d greatly appreciate any feedback or input.
ecp is offline   Reply With Quote