Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2021, 07:05 PM   #1
Vza

Premium Gas

WOW....did I miss something here!! In the past 2 years +plus I put soooo much work into my Boxster....you name it I fixed it(sort of)! This whole time I've been using regular Gasoline....Am I supposed to be running it with premium gas. Can't believe I didn't get that memo. I've even been tracking it.....maybe my lap times will get better!!!
Curious to see what happens with 91 octane. Never had any knocking but I do get a CEL occasionally for both banks running too rich(DME leaning out the engine) Thanks V

Last edited by Vza; 04-19-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Vza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vza View Post
WOW....did I miss something here!! In the past 2 years +plus I put soooo much work into my Boxster....you name it I fixed it(sort of)! This whole time I've been using regular Gasoline....Am I supposed to be running it with premium gas. Can't believe I didn't get that memo. I've even been tracking it.....maybe my lap times will get better!!!
Curious to see what happens with 91 octane. Never had any knocking but I do get a CEL occasionally for both banks running too rich(DME leaning out the engine) Thanks V
Yes you want to run premium.
The reason you never had any knocking is that the DME retards the timing if it senses pre-knock conditions. Something the knock sensors pick up that your not going to feel.
Run the highest octane you can get. The ignition will advance more and you will get more power.
blue62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:36 AM   #3

Label

Maybe your reminder label fell off. I had a label inside the fuel filler door that stated to use premium gas.