Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2021, 01:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
This kinda how i went but used a adapter for power into the factory harness, power tweeters with hu amp, rca to alpine amp in frunk, made adapter for speker connect back into dash and doors, ran speaker to sub in footwell. Head unit acts as a DSP mid channel gets balanced on the amp between 3 inch dash and 6.5 inch doors. Low channel sub. I cut none of the factory wiring.

I did run a 6 channel from a cabriolet if you trim a tab plugs in no problem, gives you some balance control, i ran my hertz 6.5 with it fir a while with coaxial in dash. Sounded pretty good.

I think the factory door speakers are 4 ohm wired in parallel for 2 ohms and seems the dash was either 4 or 6 ohm. Fell apart though.
Thanks all for the good support given here, much appreciated.
Just found a set of Hertz woofers that I bought 5 years ago but never became installed.
Could the 6 channel cabrio amp be enough for feeding these ?
Just assuming that the HU to these are a big no-no.

The alternative would be to keep boxster door speaker and amp. This would be the easiest way to avoid cutting in cables.

Third alternative would be to use the door speaker money saved and buy a new amp that can feed the Hertz woofers.

Now to many options and not really sure what would give a reasonable good sound. I do not need the deepest bass tones. Think it will just make every loose part in the car to rattle more than ever

I have two weeks now before I will see the car again, gives plenty of time to source all the cabling alternatives and front speakers. Then when back again, I can test all alternatives above.

spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:15 PM   #22

Will it be enough? Sure, it's just not going to be that powerful, and you need to make sure you match the impedance so wire correctly. Just dont expect much with the factory amp, it just doesn't have much power.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Thanks all for the good support given here, much appreciated.
Just found a set of Hertz woofers that I bought 5 years ago but never became installed.
Could the 6 channel cabrio amp be enough for feeding these ?
Just assuming that the HU to these are a big no-no.

The alternative would be to keep boxster door speaker and amp. This would be the easiest way to avoid cutting in cables.

Third alternative would be to use the door speaker money saved and buy a new amp that can feed the Hertz woofers.

Now to many options and not really sure what would give a reasonable good sound. I do not need the deepest bass tones. Think it will just make every loose part in the car to rattle more than ever

I have two weeks now before I will see the car again, gives plenty of time to source all the cabling alternatives and front speakers. Then when back again, I can test all alternatives above.
I agree the factory amp will work but not jaw dropping. Albeit depends on what type sound your looking for, with the 6 channel on the four channel set up you can use the fader to adjust the bass mix some. If you just looking for better sound loud enough for cruising it works.

I used a second set of door speaker boxes off ebay to cut up and molded in some .5” mount rings to install the hertz drivers. Plugged it back into factory harness. Door panel fit back over.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:44 AM   #24
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Sorry, coaxial speakers
So you mean Tannoy style speakers not coax cable......... thanks for clarifying.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:05 AM   #25

So in other words, full range speakers (also called 2 way speakers)
https://soundcertified.com/component-vs-coaxial-speaker-differences/
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 04-21-2021, 06:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
So you mean Tannoy style speakers not coax cable......... thanks for clarifying.
Hmm, googling Tannoy gives this:

Not really sure about the sound from them but could easily be installed on the roll bars.

Googling Coax speaker :

Think I will stick to the Alpine that I just ordered.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #27

The alpine is what is called a full range or 2 way speaker (3 way also but that just depends). Or for the rest of the world just call it a car speaker.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 04-22-2021, 04:54 AM   #28
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Hmm, googling Tannoy gives this:

Not really sure about the sound from them but could easily be installed on the roll bars.

Googling Coax speaker :

Think I will stick to the Alpine that I just ordered.
Tannoy make all kinds of speakers but they basically invented the type of speaker you show at the bottom, coaxial. Take a look at Absolute Sound or any high end audio publication and you will see Tannoy receiving all kinds of accolades. In England some people call all speakers ‘Tannoys’ like they call all vacuum cleaners ‘Hoovers’

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannoy

Last edited by paulofto; 04-22-2021 at 04:57 AM.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Tannoy make all kinds of speakers but they basically invented the type of speaker you show at the bottom, coaxial. Take a look at Absolute Sound or any high end audio publication and you will see Tannoy receiving all kinds of accolades. In England some people call all speakers ‘Tannoys’ like they call all vacuum cleaners ‘Hoovers’

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannoy
Thanks, now well educated about the speaker types
Old 04-22-2021, 10:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
So in other words, full range speakers (also called 2 way speakers)
https://soundcertified.com/component-vs-coaxial-speaker-differences/
Thanks for the link. Really great info provided. Understand that there is no easy way out in this game. Now just trying to figure out the best way to mount a component set in the door
Old 04-23-2021, 05:46 AM   #31

the 5 1/4 sub from a component set mounts exactly in the door, no modifications needed. The tweeter you will need to surface mount, there isnt any room righ up enough to do it flush mount.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the tweeter though.

2002 996 (SOLD)