Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2021, 10:43 AM   #1

Window stop adjustment

Hey guys,

I'm in the problematic position of apparently being an idiot.

The drivers side window drops too far down when rolled down and ends up rattling in the door.
I know the previous owner broke the glass when they got locked out, and screwed up a bunch on the door when replacing it.
I've been searching high and low for how to adjust the stops on this window so it doesn't end up running so far down, and read everything i could find.
But so far I'm just as blonde (bald) as when I started.

Is there an idiot's guide on how to do this or is there a kind soul that can explain to me how to accomplish this ?

This is one of the few things I have left to do on this door and I would appreciate getting it right and not have to tear it apart again (just yet).

Zordrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #2

If it's a dme problem it's a simple fix - get in, turn the key to on, press and hold window up buttons until windows are shut and then keep holding them for about 10 more seconds. Then give it a try. If it still drops too low then it's a physical alignment issue and you'll have to tear the door card apart and change where the mounts tighten down on the regulator cables (front and back).

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ike84; 04-10-2021 at 06:10 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:08 PM   #3

Garage
When I had problems with my passenger side window I tried to document most of what I found... you might find some help here... especially the link in post #1
Door window not dropping properly – a troubleshooting check list.
Good luck...
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:09 AM   #4

Thanks guys,

Tried recalibrating the windows, and it's definitely mechanical.
Also took both doors apart (had to replace the passenger side lock anyways) and it's clear the drivers side window regulator was replaced in the past.
And I'm really starting to doubt the wrenching skillset of the previous owner(s).

Anyways.

So how exactly is the mechanical travel adjusted ?

Do I simply adjust the two adjustment screws accessed from the bottom of the door ?
Like run the window up an inch and then reset the DME travel ?

I feel like I'm missing something stupid and would rather not screw anything up.

Additional question.
What kinda foam should I use to cushion the window in the regulator clamp ?

Looks like that was left out when the regulator was replaced.
Coz of course it was.
Makes about as much sense as them trying to fix leaking spark plug tubes by covering the valve cover in RTV.....
Old 04-12-2021, 06:18 AM   #5

foam? I dont see any foam in any of the diagrams in PET. Dont think there is any adjustment you can do either. Pictures would help for describing the problem.

Here is a regulator: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2004-Porsche-911-996-Boxster-986-Window-Regulator-Left-Driver-99654207504-S/164689995266?epid=25024260554&hash=item265849e602:g:vbMAAOSwdNpgH053

Pictures of the door could help too. If you can do a video of what it is doing and post it that would really help along with adding your cars info in your signature.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:04 AM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Pelican Parts has a nice tech article section. Have you checked this one out:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/77-BODY-Window_Regulator/77-BODY-Window_Regulator.htm

It discusses how to correctly adjust it after installation.
with pics...
Old 04-12-2021, 07:44 AM   #7

Stl-986:
The "foam" I'm talking about is the black fabric strip visible in picture C under the green arrow that wraps around the clamp and sits between the clamp and the window.
As far as i can tell this is missing on my window regulator.

78F350:
I have read that article and studied every single picture in great detail and I'm still missing something.
Am i just supposed to run the window up using the adjustment screw in picture E and then reset/relearn the travel ?
That's the only thing i can think of, but i would rather ask the dumb question than risk doing something really stupid and break something.

I'll update my signature and get pictures and video this upcoming weekend.
Girlfriend is driving it on the daily so gotta wait for some downtime to wrench on it

Signature updated. But just in case it's not showing it's a 2000 Boxster S Manual

Last edited by Zordrack; 04-12-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #8

That is just a little piece of tape, dont think it will make any difference to the issue you are having.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:03 AM   #9

The carriers that mount the window to the regulator - you need to adjust the window's position in those. When removing glass, I use masking tape and marker to mark exactly where the bracket interfaces with the window so that I don't have the problem you're dealing with now. It's a PITA to adjust it this way, it's essentially raise it a bit and check, repeat as needed. Keep in mind that because of the shape of the window you will likely have to adjust both front and back as you go along, and adjusting one will change alignment for the other. It will probably take at least an hour to get it perfect, but be patient and don't force it. Happy hunting!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk