Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2021, 09:25 AM   #1

2003 S - Engine replaced under warranty in 2007 - IMS?

Hello All,

I am shopping around for a 986 Boxster S. I ran across one that had the engine replaced in 2007 (apparently due to an IMS failure). The seller (3rd owner) is claiming that they utilized the updated non-replaceable IMS bearing in the new engine.

I've searched about as much as I can on this but couldn't find any information. Can anyone confirm or speak to this? Can the VIN be checked by Porsche?

Thanks!

PoweredByScotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:40 AM   #2

Check out Obtaining historical records

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
RobT987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #3

Perfect, thank you. M96.24 only takes regular single row IMS? Or could have non-serviceable version? The replacement engine rabbit hole is hard to find a bottom to.

Last edited by PoweredByScotch; 03-30-2021 at 12:43 PM.
PoweredByScotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #4

There are other threads and posts in this forum from people with lots of experience that say Porsche used the latest available IMSB that was in production when the replacement engine was made, regardless of what the original engine had, and the only way to tell what IMSB is in a Porsche replacement engine is to remove the transmission and flywheel and inspect the IMSB flange. So the seller could be correct, but there is no way of knowing without some documentation or disassembly.

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote