Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2021, 04:42 AM   #21
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Oh, mice dont like moth balls. They also dont like those things they put in urinals.
Is your car parked outside? If so it will always be an attraction.
If its in the garage line it with those urinal things and mothballs and try to keep them out the garage. Make sure all cracks are sealed.
If its outside not much you can do. The car provides shelter.
Where Im at we have to keep our hoods open because in AZ they go under the hood to escape the sun so by opening the hood they dont have much cover so they move on.
The goal is stopping them from getting inside the cab at least. Their access hole is probably where you found him. Try to seal the hole with silicone or something.
Lifting the trunk/frunk probably wont help much on these cars....
Good luck
No. They got in through the front engine cover. The cover was reinstalled... after the fact.

There was no way I could get the mouse. I now suspect the second mouse is trailing the first mouse... and both have traps stuck to them. I only see the one mouse... but suspect two. They're dead. Deceased. Gonzo.

Called a pest control outfit in my area. "If he can se the mouse, he'll get him out". Well... he didn't get the mouse out after trying for a half-hour. I did tip thge young man $15 for the effort.

Picked up a back of clay cat litter... sliced it open... put it on the passenger side floor... windows cracked. Going to be in the 80s today. It's starting to stink.

Today I'll hit Home Depot and see if they don't have a solid-product odor eliminator. It's a ****************ed up situation.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:15 AM   #22
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
If I asked my wife to help get a dead mouse out of my Boxster she would take a flame thrower to the car and then file for divorce. Spiders, worms, mice, any creepy crawly thingies are reasons strong enough to terminate our relationship in her estimation. Our vows included ‘till death or creepy crawlies do us part’.

So far I have steered such pestilence away from her so well that we celebrated 41 years of marriage earlier this week.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #23

So, all you need to do is release a snake into the car to get the mouse. (or mice.) Then release a mongoose into the car to get the snake.

...I don't know what you'll need to release into the car to get the mongoose. Sorry.

Good luck, at any rate!
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
No. They got in through the front engine cover. The cover was reinstalled... after the fact.

There was no way I could get the mouse. I now suspect the second mouse is trailing the first mouse... and both have traps stuck to them. I only see the one mouse... but suspect two. They're dead. Deceased. Gonzo.

Called a pest control outfit in my area. "If he can se the mouse, he'll get him out". Well... he didn't get the mouse out after trying for a half-hour. I did tip thge young man $15 for the effort.

Picked up a back of clay cat litter... sliced it open... put it on the passenger side floor... windows cracked. Going to be in the 80s today. It's starting to stink.

Today I'll hit Home Depot and see if they don't have a solid-product odor eliminator. It's a ****************ed up situation.

Active Charcoal is a great odor eliminator, but you need to get rid of the source. No amount of odor elimination will hide that stink until the source is gone.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #25
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Active Charcoal is a great odor eliminator, but you need to get rid of the source. No amount of odor elimination will hide that stink until the source is gone.
Picked up the small charcoal bags.

Wife had an idea this morning... I hadn't thought of it.

Based upon the positioning... I'm going in behind them... I'm headed out to do some center/dash console removal... stereo... ac control... see if I can go in behind and yank them out. We'll see...

20 pound bag of clay kitty litter on the floor... hoping that will at least keep the odor down. Hit HD this morning for the odor eliminator type stuff.

Oh yeah... again... these are deceased mice. Dead. Gonzo. Expired.

I'll update.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #26
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I would take out the passenger side airbag. I think it is just a few screws from under the dash and it should come right out. You should be able to get to anything on that side of the dash with the airbag out of the way.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #27
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Ugh, I feel bad for you. At least pulling the dash cover (imo) isn’t overly complicated but in that situation sure ain’t ideal.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Picked up the small charcoal bags.

Wife had an idea this morning... I hadn't thought of it.

Based upon the positioning... I'm going in behind them... I'm headed out to do some center/dash console removal... stereo... ac control... see if I can go in behind and yank them out. We'll see...

20 pound bag of clay kitty litter on the floor... hoping that will at least keep the odor down. Hit HD this morning for the odor eliminator type stuff.

Oh yeah... again... these are deceased mice. Dead. Gonzo. Expired.

I'll update.
I was just going to suggest pulling the radio. I think you're on the right track. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:17 PM   #29

Have you tried just driving really fast on bumpy roads I suppose with that glue whatever it’s stuck to its game over. Not a pleasant situation
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:30 PM   #30
Probably a shill

Garage
Simple: Sell the car now before the smell arises.

A-NewName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:01 AM   #31
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Thank you for the suggestion. Later today I may try to pull the airbag.

Yesterday I pulled the center console. Zero luck there. Went ba ck under the pass dash and removed the plastic tube that moves air (I've only had one cup of coffee and I forget the scientific name)... the one with the accordian in the middle. That really didn't matter at all.

I then resolved to get the mouse I could see. I had purchased a new grabby tool and further bent the four tines that emerge fron the head... so that when I clamped it down on the mouse I would have better leverage. I will say that when I removed the plastic air tube... then putting my hand up there to feel around... the missing glue trap fell down.

On it was some fur and about an inch and a half of tail which, it appears to me, the mouse bit of itself. It reconciled with the tail still atached to the mouse.

I positioned the telescoping mirror on the carpet... and the flashlight... and went in. Navigated the devise... got up on thge mouses face... clamped and slowly pulled it out. Success! Immediately I noticed the smell of death leaving the cab.

I poked and prodded with my hand... and used the flashlight and mirror to try to find the other trap and, if it exists, the other mouse. Nothing. My shoulders killed during the "procedure" and I know I'll be chewing the ibu today.

Put in some oder eliminators... and will go out later this morning to see if the smell remains. That means I've more work to do.

If the smell is absent I'm thinking it was one mouse who managed to get hisself tangled up in both traps. We'll see.

To be continued...
Old 04-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #32

The mouse you got out - did it still have it's whole tail?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2021, 04:15 AM   #33
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
The mouse you got out - did it still have it's whole tail?

Hi Ike,

No. About one inch of his tail looked looked, color and appearance-wise, like he was missing part of his tail. I believe that was stuck to the glue trap.

Today finds me busy with ouse and yard work... tomorrow finding me navigating back under the dash to see if the recovery remains underway.

I did sniff inside the car yesterday. I've the six small bags of charcoal up near the underside of the console and a couple small odor-eliminator cups siting on the floor. I'm not smelling the scent of decay, death, misery and despair (No, I'm not referring to the State of California)... so we'll see what today brings.

Cheers, and chat soon.

Old 04-04-2021, 04:48 AM   #34

That's great news! Keep up the hunt!

Old 04-04-2021, 07:17 PM   #35

Reminds me of a few dates I’ve been on in my 27 years of bachelor life. Sometimes it’s worth it to chew your tail off just to get out of there
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #36
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

OK... the update...

The good news is tha the past cuple/few days the smell test reals no more mice.

However... I' still missing one trap. The smallest version of this:

https://www.victorpest.com/victor-metal-pedal-mouse-trap-bm154-24

I've given up trying to find it. So long as no mouse is attached to it... all good. I beleve that the one mouse got hung up in the wooden trap... carried it under the dash (somewhere!!!), got untangled from it... and came back down then getting stuck on the glue trap (which dropped down).

I'll return to the cab the next few days and start buttoning up everything. May 3 sees it going to the shop for the transmission repair. It's been down since mid-October.

Thanks, again, for the advice. wisecracks, and general tomfooolery.