Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #21

Garage
John Y: Don't discount the

performance of the base 987 too quickly. this car really does get around a auto-x course very well, even better with PASM.

One of the guys in our club--I think Tom is on this board--turned in a time that was only 1/2 second slower that a 944 turbo. He was on street tires and the 944 guy was on Victoracers.

At Mid-Ohio, I certainly was not the slowest my run group--the one above novice--and spent most of one lapping session chasing and passing a 996 C4. With the 07 you'll get a few more HP and VarioCam +.

MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH
performance of the base 987 too quickly. this car really does get around a auto-x course very well, even better with PASM.

One of the guys in our club--I think Tom is on this board--turned in a time that was only 1/2 second slower that a 944 turbo. He was on street tires and the 944 guy was on Victoracers.

At Mid-Ohio, I certainly was not the slowest my run group--the one above novice--and spent most of one lapping session chasing and passing a 996 C4. With the 07 you'll get a few more HP and VarioCam +.
Mike - thanks, and I don't discount it at all; while I probably won't track the car, if I didn't feel it was enough for me (and I own a couple of pretty torque-happy tuned, turbocharged cars) I certainly wouldn't have taken the plunge. But I'm pretty confident that in it's own way, the VC Plus 2.7l engine will be enough to keep me happy - the rest of the car doesn't exactly hurt, either!

The only issue I have is the 17s v. 18s, and it bothers me that I can't make up my mind. I like the supple, fluid ride on the 17s, and I think they will provide all the handling dynamics I can use, especially since as I said, I don't expect to be going to the track. On a car whose major selling point is handling, I doubt that Porsche would standard-spec wheel and tires that let the car down. I also like the fact if anything, the 17s will probably add to the car's fun factor by making the car "feel" stronger, especially powering out of curves, since the engine will not be over-matched by the wheels/tires. Though I am not in love with their appearance, I do think they look much better when I see them in person as opposed to photos. If I go for the 17s, I am thinking about the factory 5mm spacers as a nice, safe, conservative way of improving their overall appearance by moving them a little more flush to the fenders.

Although in an earlier test drive with 18s the ride was fine, it was a long time ago, and I think the car may have had PASM and been in "Normal" mode. But I love the look of the 18s, too. I also supect they are just light enough and the motor jsut torquey enough that it really won't feel lifeless or "locked down" as you try to accelerate while turning. Question for those with 2.7l engines and Boxster S 18s (or the 17s, for that matter) - how easy is it to spin/chirp the rears in different situations?

GREAT articles in the November issue of 'Excellence' for those who haven't seen it yet, about the 07 Boxster and S, and the Cayman, raising many of these issues.

OK, this ramble is over! Thanks for the input as always, guys.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #23

Yes John Y, I have PASM on my current S with 19s. I don't auto-x the car but frequently drive on the street as if competing in an auto-x .

I'll let you in on a little secret. The base 987 with 17s is just as fun to drive as the S with 19s and the handling feels just as good if not better. I say feels better because it feels lighter and more tossable. Is it going to turn in a faster auto-x time? No, but that's not down to the handling factor.

Do I notice a difference with PASM? Yes, the car definitely hunkers down and there's also a slightly different response in the throttle (this is without Sports Chrono) that doesn't get mentioned much. Could I in good faith recommend PASM to a 987 buyer? No, because I don't think it provides a $2000 premium to the handling characteristics of the stock suspension.

You may also want to check out the updated Porsche configurator. It's been mucho-modified.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Yes John Y, I have PASM on my current S with 19s. I don't auto-x the car but frequently drive on the street as if competing in an auto-x .

I'll let you in on a little secret. The base 987 with 17s is just as fun to drive as the S with 19s and the handling feels just as good if not better. I say feels better because it feels lighter and more tossable. Is it going to turn in a faster auto-x time? No, but that's not down to the handling factor.

Do I notice a difference with PASM? Yes, the car definitely hunkers down and there's also a slightly different response in the throttle (this is without Sports Chrono) that doesn't get mentioned much. Could I in good faith recommend PASM to a 987 buyer? No, because I don't think it provides a $2000 premium to the handling characteristics of the stock suspension.

You may also want to check out the updated Porsche configurator. It's been mucho-modified.
thanks for the wheel weight figures, by the way - are those from your measurements?
If there were as many good looking, lightweight but strong aftermarket options for the Box as there are for my Audi or even the GTI, I wouldn't think twice about going for the 17s, and considering the good 18 in options later.

John Y is offline   Reply With Quote