Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2006, 08:55 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Guess what $50 got me today?????

$50 for everything;shocks,springs & sway bars from a 02' "S"(40k miles,no track/autocross). I couldn't pass it up,I barrowed my mom's van and headed to San Jose. Now decisions,decisions;

1. Install the entire "S" suspension from the get go?(Is the "S" ride height lower the base 99'?)

2. Install the "S" shocks/springs and RoW sway bars?("S" front sway bar is the same as the 2.5L RoW front sway bar)

3. Install "S" shocks and RoW the springs and sway bars?(Could this cause premature failure of the shock?)

4. Install the entire RoW and sell the "S" suspension?(Could still use the "S" front sway bar)

Either way my car will handle better shortly....Any input would be appreciated!!!

*The person I bought the car from sold his Boxster "S" for a Lotus Elise.....Damn that is one heck of a car. We went on a spirited drive and opened it up! I'm still stunned at how well the car handled and braked,I'm scratching the 360 off my list of cars to buy and putting a Elise on there! It was really hard to get in and I'm only 5 8",but that's not what you buy that car for. Anyone have any pictures of one of those in a accident? I was told the body is made of plastic,but what happens if someone hits you? By the way the door panels were held on by velcro,SUPER COOL!

Last edited by blinkwatt; 10-28-2006 at 12:41 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:35 PM   #2

what, you went to san jose with out stopping by dude, i could have meet you with my Merc. Villager

that's a good buy, blink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
$50 for everything;shocks,springs & sway bars from a 02' "S"(40k miles,no track/autocross). I couldn't pass it up,I barrowed my mom's van and headed to San Jose. Now decisions,decisions;

1. Install the entire "S" suspension from the get go?(Is the "S" ride height lower the base 99'?)

2. Install the "S" shocks/springs and RoW sway bars?("S" front sway bar is the same as the 2.5L RoW front sway bar)

3. Install "S" shocks and RoW the springs and sway bars?(Could this cause premature failure of the shock?)

4. Install the entire RoW and sell the "S" suspension?(Could still use the "S" front sway bar)

Either way my car will handle better shortly....Any input would be appreciated!!!

*The person I bought the car from sold his Boxster "S" for a Lotus Elise.....Damn that is one heck of a car. He took me for a spirited drive and opened it up! I'm still stunned at how well the car handled and braked,I'm scratching the 360 off my list of cars to buy and putting a Elise on there! It was really hard to get in and I'm only 5 8",but that's not what you buy that car for. Anyone have any pictures of one of those in a accident? I was told the body is made of plastic,but what happens if someone hits you? By the way the door panels were held on by velcro,SUPER COOL!
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
What are you guys thoughts on dropping a Boxster on stock shocks?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #4

Quote:

Hi,

I don't think it's an issue. I suspect the OEM shocks are better than most shocks out there. One thing to consider thoug, usually any performance mods to the suspension lead to a stiffening and harshness of Ride Quality. Sticking with the OEMs may make this less pronounced...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I don't think it's an issue. I suspect the OEM shocks are better than most shocks out there. One thing to consider thoug, usually any performance mods to the suspension lead to a stiffening and harshness of Ride Quality. Sticking with the OEMs may make this less pronounced...

That's what I was thinking,I would put the RoW springs on the OEM S shocks. It's not like I'm dropping the car 1-2"s,just 10mm(2/5") in the rear and 20mm(4/5") in the front. I know I'm going to sacrifice some ride quality,but that's ok. Just want to make sure that no one's shock has prematurely blown because they are out of their normal operating range.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:02 AM   #6

well I don't want to be a wet blanket but you got a fair price.

Buying second hand shocks is a no go. Sway bar ok. I'm sure that part is worth at least fiddy. The shocks at 40K miles might not be a good idea given the labor time and cost if you are paying. I had a set of brand new Tokico adjustables and had one of the shocks fail on me in just a few weeks. Luckily I was very tight with the mech. so he put in the new shock for free. Changing rear shocks and coils is lots of time. If you are going to do it get new parts with a guarantee. Nothing can transform a car like a fresh suspension. Like driving a totally different car.
In my last car It took several attempts to get it right trying different brands and coils/shock mounts but when I got it JUST right I cried like a baby when I handed over the keys to the new owner.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-28-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:10 AM   #7

@ Perfectlap,

I've considered just keeping the front sway bar,and redoing the rest. Thanks for the input,I'm just trying to weight in the pros/cons of my options available.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
That's what I was thinking,I would put the RoW springs on the OEM S shocks. It's not like I'm dropping the car 1-2"s,just 10mm(2/5") in the rear and 20mm(4/5") in the front. I know I'm going to sacrifice some ride quality,but that's ok. Just want to make sure that no one's shock has prematurely blown because they are out of their normal operating range.
Hi,

One thing to consider is that the Stainless Steel Piston Rod on the shock may now travel deeper into the Shock Body than it did before.

Consequently, any dirt, debris or scratches will now pass through the Seal at the top of the Shock Body and could cause wear. The failure of this Seal is the #1 reason Shocks fail. To insure that this new section of the Piston Rod does not abrade the Seal, when you have the suspension unloaded (raised), I'd carefully inspect it for nicks, dirt, debris and such. I might even go so far as to polish it with say a Dremel with a Felt Pad using some water or WD-40 as a lubricant. Hope this helps...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Damping and spring rates are designed to be married together. Stiffer springs without a higher damping rate shock can lead to some undesireable suspension charactoristics.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote