Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2021, 07:43 AM   #1

A4 7.5 fuse keeps blowing

Hello! I have a 2000 Boxster I bought in the Fall and had some lighting issues. I searched the forums here and afterwards I replaced the headlight switch and all the crazy lighting issues went away. I replaced that switch a couple months ago. Now, I have a new issue. The left side daytime driving light is not turning on and the left rear tail light is not turning on either. Brake lights work, turn signal still works as well as backup light. I replaced the A4 7.5 amp fuse and it keeps burning out. When I turn in the headlights the blue high beam indicator light lights up but is dim. It stays in a few seconds till the A4 fuse burns out and the daytime driving light on the left goes back out. The left side marker light also goes out. I have replaced bulbs and fuses and still have this issue. Could the headlight switch already be bad after only a couple of months? The only light that will stay on in the left rear is the fog light if I pull the switch out to the second click. Could this be an issue with the arm controlling the high beam switch? Could it be a relay? Any suggestions will be appreciated!

986Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:43 PM   #2

Has anyone had a similar issue? The front ground wires are clean and securely attached. Are there rear ground wires to check? Could it be a problem with the 3 arm switch?
Old 02-09-2021, 04:28 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Remove the headlight on that side and open the rear cover. You most likely have wiring inside the headlight that has cracked and missing insulation, causing a short.

If the wiring looks fine (don’t forget to remove the connector from the headlight and check the wiring on the back of it), remove all light fixtures on that side. Replace them one at a time until the fuse blows.
If it happens with the headlight or taillight, remove all bulbs and replace them one at a time until the fuse blows.

Last edited by particlewave; 02-09-2021 at 04:32 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #4

Thank you for the tip Particlewave. I have not finished correcting the issue yet but when I took the cover off this effected drivers side headlight unit you can see the insulation cracked & coming off of the brown, blue & green wires. I guess I’ll wrap these in Electrical Tape. Years of heat caused this I suspect. I would have expected a higher quality insulated wire but I’m no electrician so don’t know about these things. Other than wrapping each wire in Electrical tape is there a better solution?
Old 02-15-2021, 12:08 PM   #5

Ok, I tried to post an iPhone picture but can’t get it to accept in here. Anyhow, I wrapped all those wires in electrical tape as best I could. The insulation just falls off the wires practically. There’s no sign of any corrosion or burning. I replaced the headlight unit. Replaced the blown A4 7.5 amp fuse and everything is working perfectly now.

Thank you so much Particlewave for pointing me to the exact problem. Less than an hour and all is well! I’ve had this issue a month or two and the only way to illuminate the driver rear tail light was to run the front & rear fog lights which I have done. At least you won’t get a traffic stop by the police if it’s illuminated. Now it’s perfect and as it should be. More night driving in my future! ��