Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #1

Garage
Rear strut Koni problems

Afternoon all.
Went to to replace rear struts with Koni's.
All apart, come to find out the Koni's change size about 1/4 inch up from the bottom of the strut. Will not fit into the bearing carrier housing because of this. 2003 Boxster base..
Has anyone else had this problem?/ If so, how did you solve?? Am about ready to put the old ones back in!!!
thanks in advance
Wikan
Ok 55 views, no comments. I have to assume no-one else has had this problem.. or no-one else has used Koni struts .. time to put to old struts back on...
Anyone want a fire sale price on a pair of rear struts????? part numbers 8740 1574 SPORT ????

Last edited by wikan; 01-11-2021 at 01:02 AM.
wikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:04 AM   #2

Garage
Koni for sale....

Ok 55 views, no comments. I have to assume no-one else has had this problem.. or no-one else has used Koni struts .. time to put to old struts back on...
Anyone want a fire sale price on a pair of rear struts????? part numbers 8740 1574 SPORT ??
Old 01-11-2021, 02:13 AM   #3

Did you contact the vendor/supplier ? Maybe the wrong shocks were shipped .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:24 AM   #4

Call Koni USA, they are usually pretty responsive and they may have a hot tip for you. (859) 586-4100
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:28 AM   #5

I put set of the Koni "Special Active" shocks on my 99 986, and do remember it being particularly tight to get the shocks to fit. May have had to put a jack under the shock to get everything seated....... But they did fit, AND there was a slight width change about 1/4" up from the bottom....... sorry, not so helpful.

-Eric
99 986
09 987.2 CS
Eric-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:36 AM   #6

Garage
Eric-
very helpful- let's me know this is a known issue. That little size change is proving to be an impossibility. jacking from below moves the car off the lift.. and I don't see how I can spread the carrier enough to get it to seat, even off the car, as one side I have the carrier off the car.. In 50 years of turning wrenches for fun and by necessity- this is the first time I think I'm going to have to throw in the towel and put the old struts back on.. :-(
Old 01-11-2021, 07:38 AM   #7

Garage
thank you much- was my first thought as well- but the numbers all match up as the recommended ones, and they are carbon copies but for the little bit too big about 1/4 inch up the strut body.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #8

Garage
steved0x-
appreciate the #- will call them as first order of business!
Old 01-11-2021, 07:59 AM   #9

Garage
response from Koni

Called Koni as suggested. Their suggestion is to remove paint from the strut.....when I get home today- I'll take the paint off and see if that helps..
I sanded and then wet sanded down the inside of the bearing carrier until it's smooth as glass- and the strut still wouldn't come anywhere close.. so it's tough for me to think a few thousandths of yellow paint will turn the trick.
If it works- I'll post how happy I am.
if not- then I guess am out the $$. I bought them off the Koni website a few years ago, and just now getting around to replace...
Old 01-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #10

Put the struts in the freezer they will shrink . Heat the carrier it will expand . Then enjoy an adult beverage
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #11

Are you using a spreader to open up the carrier? I don’t know how you could install the struts without.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.urotuning.com/a/s/products/strut-spreader-tool-vw-audi-mn3424

Last edited by WillH; 01-11-2021 at 01:04 PM.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:51 PM   #12

Garage
Will
looks like a great idea- I just have to wonder- it appears to me the bracket on the strut which holds the brake lines would displace any type of tool holding the carrier open...have you used this tool on a Porsche carrier?? ( hoping the answer is yes and there is a magic formula involved) ....
Old 01-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #13

Garage
hoping this might work- when I pulled the tiptronic to replace the IMS bearing- the freezing the bearing trick worked better than a charm....appreciate you waking up my braincase!
Old 01-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikan View Post
Will
looks like a great idea- I just have to wonder- it appears to me the bracket on the strut which holds the brake lines would displace any type of tool holding the carrier open...have you used this tool on a Porsche carrier?? ( hoping the answer is yes and there is a magic formula involved) ....
By memory I made one from an adapter. Yes I used it on the carrier. It’s really only needed to get it started. Once you’re at he point that the bracket is that close to the spreader you just remove the spreader.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #15

If you google strut spreader tool videos and watch a few you will get the gist of it.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:09 PM   #16

Had to grind some paint off the bottom of one of the rear shock before it goes in the carrier.

The other went in with no issues.
moosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #17

Garage
moosport is on to something.
The issue got solved- after removing all the paint ( sob) it was able to go into the carrier far enough that I found the next problem. 1 high weld on the bracket, on both struts, prevented it from going all the way down into the carrier. the bracket slot narrows further down.
10 minutes each with a rat tail file knocked the weld flush enough for it to go into the carrier.
thank you everyone!
Old 01-12-2021, 08:12 PM   #18

I installed Koni FSD's on my 2001 S and had no issues. My only real problem was the rear strut spring cup was very close to the inside of the rim however I am running 993 Twists so offset was my issue. Wheel spacers saved me.

marcoc is offline   Reply With Quote